Old 10-17-2019, 05:07 PM

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Allentown-Bethlehem PA October 2019

We are staying in Bethlehem area this weekend for a family event and have some time for disc. Any course or other suggestions? Is nockamixom closed still? Is the Steel Club worth the $. Are there still leaves on trees? what color(s) disc is easiest to see this time of year? Mud-Water? 940 rated player from SoCal.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2019, 05:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 165
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 457 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdds View Post
We are staying in Bethlehem area this weekend for a family event and have some time for disc. Any course or other suggestions?
Lots of choices. Of the courses I have played:

Jordan Creek (4.35) Closest to Allentown/Bethlehem, excellent woods course with water in play on many holes. This would be my top recommendation.

Within an hour’s drive:

Tyler SP (4.56 East and 4.32 West): Two very good courses on one site. I have not played since they addressed the emerald ash borer problem, so best to check with locals.

Camp Sankanac (4.41): Strongly recommended but hours are restricted so check whether it is open before driving here.

Bootlegger’s Cave (3.45): Rocky woods with elevation. I enjoyed this course better than its rating would suggest.

Quote:
Is nockamixom closed still?
I think so, but maybe a local has an update.

Quote:
Are there still leaves on trees? what color(s) disc is easiest to see this time of year?
Leaves should be just starting to turn, but recent wind storm may have knocked some down. Generally stay away from yellow, orange, or green discs and you should be fine.

Quote:
Mud-Water?
The mid-Atlantic has been pretty dry, despite a recent storm. Shouldn't be too muddy.

Have fun!

Niced: (1)
Old 10-18-2019, 10:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 114
Niced 29 Times in 19 Posts

Nockamixon SP is still closed, but nearby there is a private course called AGA Preserve...some legit good holes there from what I hear, plus Tee Time Disc Golf has video of the course on their YouTube page.

Jordan and Lehigh Parkway are two must plays and they are ten minutes apart. If you have time to spare South Mountain is a fun play, lots of Elevation on a challenging par 54 layout.

I echo Monocacy's sentiment, being a Lehigh Valley native. Stay away from the yellow and green discs. There was a recent storm that brought some huge winds, so there may be some more foliage on the ground than normal for mid October.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 24
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Totally agree with Monocacy. As for Tyler State Park, the east course is everything the reviews say- very challenging and well-groomed. The c-position holes here can be insane at times!
The west course at Tyler has been ready to play in full 18-hole layout for some time now but still is a work in progress as some of the holes still need brush cleared out and tee pads are still being worked on. Should be better to play this fall...

Niced: (1)