#1  
Old 10-28-2019, 11:06 AM
B.Fairbanks.1023 B.Fairbanks.1023 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: From NJ living in Macon, GA
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 13
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Am I missing anything?

Hey guys, so I'm new to the sport, but I wouldn't quite say I'm a beginner (~50 rounds). My form is definitely far from perfect, but I'm really athletic so I've been able to make up for it pretty well so far. I've got this sneaking suspicion that I might be missing something in my bag. Any thoughts? Some context, I'm mainly a RHBH player. Drives are average 340' and I've topped out at around 450'.

Distance Drivers:
Star Shryke 175g
Champ Daudalus 172g
S blend Pharoh 172g
F1 Grym 171g

Control/ fairway drivers:
Lat 64 River 172g
Plasma Fireball 164g
Z line Heat (2x) 172g, 164g

Midrange:
Lat 64 Explorer
Star Mako3 (2x) 174g, 162g
Proton Crave 164g

Putters (All for putting. I hate the feel of driving with a putter)
Classic Judge 176g
Classic Deputy 176g
XT Nova 174g
Wizard 176g

Side note, what's the best glow plastic out there?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2019, 11:50 AM
Horsman's Avatar
Horsman Horsman is offline
Pandamonium Discs
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,309
Niced 725 Times in 333 Posts
Default

If all you use your putter for is putting then you should cut those 4 down to 1 and just learn how to putt with that one putter.

You also have the explorer and the crave listed as your mid-ranges. They are fairway drivers. With that it looks like yo ujust have the mako3 as your only mid range. Maybe think about picking up a little more overstable and understable midrange
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2019, 05:42 PM
B.Fairbanks.1023 B.Fairbanks.1023 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: From NJ living in Macon, GA
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 13
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
If all you use your putter for is putting then you should cut those 4 down to 1 and just learn how to putt with that one putter.

You also have the explorer and the crave listed as your mid-ranges. They are fairway drivers. With that it looks like yo ujust have the mako3 as your only mid range. Maybe think about picking up a little more overstable and understable midrange
I appreciate the reply. You're right, I know they're both listed as Fairway drivers. I use the Explorer strictly for tomahawk throws and short forehands. Do you have a suggestion for an overstable mid range that would work well for forehands? Anything lower than a 6-7 spd wobbles out of my hand or turns and burns. (I have a shark from the starter pack that I'm not a huge fan of)

I've got the 4 putters because I'm trying to learn how to tee off with a putter, without much avail so far.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2019, 05:50 PM
DoWork DoWork is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 740
Niced 592 Times in 266 Posts
Default

Put all your discs over 10 speed in a safe place and DO NOT USE THEM AGAIN UNTIL YOU CAN THROW A PUTTER 200’ accurately.

Trust me, you’ll thank me later.

Now just work on your footwork, body work and technique.

Also you only have one midrange (mako) and that should be your butter zone right now. I’d pick up an overstable and understable mid, maybe a BuzzzOS and a Tursas or something.


One last thing- some find it easier to taper weights with speed- meaning putters and mids are max weight, fairway drivers are somewhere in the 160s and high speed drivers are 150 class. The faster you’re moving your arm the less weight you’d have in the way, but then could work your way up in weight as your form improves so you don’t blow yourself up trying to throw max weight plastic @14 with bad form.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2019, 05:54 PM
DoWork DoWork is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 740
Niced 592 Times in 266 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Fairbanks.1023 View Post
I appreciate the reply. You're right, I know they're both listed as Fairway drivers. I use the Explorer strictly for tomahawk throws and short forehands. Do you have a suggestion for an overstable mid range that would work well for forehands? Anything lower than a 6-7 spd wobbles out of my hand or turns and burns. (I have a shark from the starter pack that I'm not a huge fan of)

I've got the 4 putters because I'm trying to learn how to tee off with a putter, without much avail so far.

That’s totally fine and completely normal when starting out but it’s indicative of form more than the disc. Watch a ton of form videos on YouTube and practice with low speed, straight discs like your mako or a putter. Neutral discs show you exactly what you’re doing wrong and flutter is usually OAT or Off Axis Torque.

Form is what puts discs places, not power. Learn the form and then add the power, not the other way around.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2019, 07:29 AM
Horsman's Avatar
Horsman Horsman is offline
Pandamonium Discs
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,309
Niced 725 Times in 333 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Fairbanks.1023 View Post
I appreciate the reply. You're right, I know they're both listed as Fairway drivers. I use the Explorer strictly for tomahawk throws and short forehands. Do you have a suggestion for an overstable mid range that would work well for forehands? Anything lower than a 6-7 spd wobbles out of my hand or turns and burns. (I have a shark from the starter pack that I'm not a huge fan of)

I've got the 4 putters because I'm trying to learn how to tee off with a putter, without much avail so far.
I as well struggle when throwing a putter, and I can now just fine I am still way more comfortable with a mid. For an OS mid for you that wont flutter, maybe look into getting a gator or justice or drone. Usually as a beginner you dont want to use discs like that, that are super overstable because they will mask a lot of your form issues but they are good choices.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-29-2019, 09:13 AM
Dr. Bogey's Avatar
Dr. Bogey Dr. Bogey is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Central PA
Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 248
Niced 109 Times in 59 Posts
Default

When I was starting out, driving with a putter felt weird to me, but now the putter drive is one of my favorite shots to throw. So stick with it, it'll eventually pay off. And if you're not doing this already, make a putter instead of a mid your go-to for approach shots. More putter shots = better scores and more fun.

Several of your discs are pretty similar to each other, and you'd probably benefit from paring things down a bit. Shelving your distance drivers is probably a good idea, but you could pick your favorite and keep it in the bag if you want. For fairways I'd go Fireball, Explorer, and River/Heat (choose one), plus the Crave only if you really love it. The Mako3 is good. As Horsman said Gator/Justice/Drone could be a good addition, or a Verdict for something a little less overstable. Also as Horsman said, you should probably pick one of your putters and stick with it for putting, and if there's another one you like to throw keep that one in the bag for drives and approaches. Fireball, Explorer, River/Heat, Mako3, [OS mid], [throwing putter], [putting putter] is actually a really solid bag that any disc golfer could be successful with.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-29-2019, 11:48 AM
B.Fairbanks.1023 B.Fairbanks.1023 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: From NJ living in Macon, GA
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 13
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Thanks guys

Thanks for all the help.

@ Do Work. I can throw a putter 200' relatively accurately. I use only putters for approach shots, there's just something about teeing off with them that doesn't jive well with me. It's almost definitely mental. I'll definitely check into more tutorials. Lowering the weight for the drivers makes sense. My longest disc was a 164 Wave that just went for a swim last week. The probelm I feel like i have @ the distance drivers is what's the best spd/turn/weight combo for me. It seems like if I move below 170g I get a ton of turn even on a 12-13 speed.

@Dr Bogey. That logic makes sense, and I'll agree that some of the discs are redundant. I think I'm still in the phase of finding the plastics/brands that I like. I think based on the way I use them, I'd go Fireball, Heat, River/Crave (they're both newer and I can't decide which I like better yet). I just ordered a Roc3 to fill the OS mid slot. I tried one yesterday and liked the feel of it.

@Horseman. Any insight on why a putter off the tee would be any more difficult than for an approach? I putt with a fan grip but haven't really found what's comfortable with it off the tee if that makes any sense. I also went ahead and ordered a few more Judges. That one's going to be my putting putter.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2019, 12:51 PM
Horsman's Avatar
Horsman Horsman is offline
Pandamonium Discs
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,309
Niced 725 Times in 333 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Fairbanks.1023 View Post
Thanks for all the help.

@ Do Work. I can throw a putter 200' relatively accurately. I use only putters for approach shots, there's just something about teeing off with them that doesn't jive well with me. It's almost definitely mental. I'll definitely check into more tutorials. Lowering the weight for the drivers makes sense. My longest disc was a 164 Wave that just went for a swim last week. The probelm I feel like i have @ the distance drivers is what's the best spd/turn/weight combo for me. It seems like if I move below 170g I get a ton of turn even on a 12-13 speed.

@Dr Bogey. That logic makes sense, and I'll agree that some of the discs are redundant. I think I'm still in the phase of finding the plastics/brands that I like. I think based on the way I use them, I'd go Fireball, Heat, River/Crave (they're both newer and I can't decide which I like better yet). I just ordered a Roc3 to fill the OS mid slot. I tried one yesterday and liked the feel of it.

@Horseman. Any insight on why a putter off the tee would be any more difficult than for an approach? I putt with a fan grip but haven't really found what's comfortable with it off the tee if that makes any sense. I also went ahead and ordered a few more Judges. That one's going to be my putting putter.
So a roc3 probably wont be overstable enough for what you are looking for but its a great disc and a good place to start and goes well with the mako3

So throwing putters off of a tee is a problem for me just because of how putters fit into my hand. Most are just a bit too deep and I could fix this with a shallower putter but I like to keep my molds to a minimum so im not likely to add in 1 disc thats different from what I already have in the bag. I currently bag 4 putters, 3 of which are big bead aviars and the one odd ball of the P3X. But the P3X is basicially a BB aviar so there isnt much difference. And now a days I have been playing long enough that I have to knowledge to know how my rocs will operate when I try to use them in place of a putter. Im more comfortable not throwing putters.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 10-29-2019, 02:38 PM
B.Fairbanks.1023 B.Fairbanks.1023 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: From NJ living in Macon, GA
Courses Played: 4
Posts: 13
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Damn, I figured 3 turn would be enough. Shows what I know lol

You may be on to something about the rim depth. I'll have to pick something up that's a bit more shallow to try.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Am I Missing and What Should I Use? svaughan70 Newbie Intros and Q&A 13 09-29-2015 03:52 PM
What am I missing? its_nick Bag Suggestions & Feedback 5 05-31-2013 06:12 AM
am i missing something? gianetics Bag Suggestions & Feedback 6 09-28-2011 10:07 PM
i'm missing something chrisf.10 Bag Suggestions & Feedback 25 02-04-2011 10:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.