Old 11-06-2019, 03:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 522 Times in 217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
The things you are saying are true, but a backhand still produces more spin.

Someone back me up with a source here. I can't remember where I learned this.

I would think it has to do with the active wrist in a forehand throw vs passive wrist in the backhand throw. I think the passive wrist can move quicker.
It's to do with where your hand is on the disc as the disc starts to move forward around the grips pivot point. There is greater room to pivot on the backhand vs forehand. Forehand it's at best ~ 200 degrees (think silver Latt using everything and elbow out in front of the body with the wrist lagging) vs Backhand you can push up to almost 300 degrees pivot. This is a good one to capture the overhead view - watch how the stamp on the disc moves anti clockwise targetwards as it bunches up just before it becomes the blur of speed as it starts to come forward and pivot around. The bottom part of the stamp (MVP I think) will be about the leading edge at release. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eebz7BCAPYg That's a very big pivot in a small space of time.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-06-2019, 08:38 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 211 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifo View Post
I do get a wobble in my FH throws, definitely dealing with some OAT issues theres.

Still curious about the spin however. If we think about driving putters for example, If I lean into my putters I can push 200' with a stable throwing putter like an envy but if I go harder, it can flip.

I likely dont have perfect BH form but what I think you guys are saying is is a cleaner release on axis will give the disc more stability.

Its very interesting because I assumed a wobbly OAT forehand would slow down faster and end up being more stable..
Yeah it's hard to say without video. But a good OS/stable putter like an Envy can be thrown 300' without flipping over, no problem.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:45 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 67 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifo View Post
Is there a correlation between arm speed and disc spin when it comes to stability?

I'm finding on my FH shots I'm turning over my most stable discs and I believe its because im using too much arm and I'm not getting enough snap and spin. Its made me think about how the two are related to each other. If I increase the spin, with the same arm speed, will I see an uptick in stability?

I can see the same thing when it comes to comparing pros throwing the same discs and getting much more flight out of them than me. For example throwing a thunderbird, if I go full rip I can turn it over. But I've seen James Conrad throw 400ft lasers with a thundy. Are the pros able to get more flight because they have a better balance of spin to match their arm speed?

Not saying I should be able to throw 400ft but Im wondering why his dont turn over as much when hes obviously throwing harder/faster.
Grip can have a lot to do with how your FH shot flies. I was having elbow issues so I switched to the first grip. My thunderbird flew understable and I thought it was just the disc.

I played with a guy that suggested I switch to the 2nd grip (one I see most on DGCR) and focus less on my reachback and more on wrist snap. Hind sight, my knuckle was pushing the flight plate to a more anhyser position than I was intending making ever disc I threw understable.

I would analyze your form and to see how much pressure you might be putting on the flight plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191106_073627.jpg (138.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20191106_073639.jpg (106.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by mojorooks; 11-06-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old Today, 07:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 864 Times in 518 Posts

Stokely is big on fh spin:

Old Today, 04:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 554 Times in 295 Posts

IMO, disc spin AND distance are helped/hurt most by the integrity of the hit. If you have full or micro slips, your spin and velocity will suffer. This is why most super long throwers of the backhand have incredible spin to go with their distance; they don't slip.

The other side of this is the fact that a lesser player can mitigate slips by throwing with less arm speed. Indeed when you "spin" a freestyle disc, all you are doing is reducing your arm speed and ensuring a complete lack of slip at the hit.

Without any evidence at all to back myself up, I would say this explains the flattening spin/velocity curve. The lower the velocity the less chance of a slip and therefore the higher spin to speed ratio.