Old Today, 02:15 PM
Par Member

Niced 99 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
being present (instead of staring at a screen all the time), productivity (same reason), improved memory and sense of direction (especially from using maps and planning routes instead of using navigation), less social media time (now it's none, i left FB and never used any others), and most importantly the sense of well being i get from spending much less time in the digital world.

i'm not saying everyone with a smartphone is not paying attention to the world around them but i see a ton of people who are not. i already have a hard enough time ignoring screens when i'm at home so the last thing i need is one in my pocket. when i'm with people, i want them to know they have my attention. my friends and family make note of it and many have thanked me for it.
I believe you have enough willpower to have a smartphone but not get sucked up in using it to escape reality. By owning a smartphone, you are not required to use social media. You don't have to take a million pictures of everywhere you go. No one will force you to stay in a digital world.

Smartphones are excellent tools, and can be used as just that. The people who can't stop staring at a screen lack willpower.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old Today, 02:32 PM
Par Member

Niced 99 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Apple admitted to throttling peak processor performance when the battery was failing to prevent the battery from shutting down. There's a difference there.

https://support.google.com/chrome/an...rm%3DiOS&hl=en
Newest version of Chrome requires iOS 10. So, exactly as I said: I doubt the latest versions of Chrome or Firefox would be supported on iOS 7.
Well of course they are going to come up with an excuse as to why they intentionally slowed their phones down. They had to say something. Can you imagine if they just shrugged and said nothing?

And I agree that the better browsers wouldn't work on iOS 7. That's the problem... Apple only letting iPhone 4 update to iOS 7.

My 10 year old laptop can update to the latest versions of Chrome/Firefox/IE.
Old Today, 05:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 327
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 258 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
I believe you have enough willpower to have a smartphone but not get sucked up in using it to escape reality. By owning a smartphone, you are not required to use social media. You don't have to take a million pictures of everywhere you go. No one will force you to stay in a digital world.

Smartphones are excellent tools, and can be used as just that. The people who can't stop staring at a screen lack willpower.

yeah, that's why i said what i said

Old Today, 05:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 118
Niced 67 Times in 31 Posts

I was in tournaments in July, September, and October that had PDGA Live Scoring. July was Am Worlds and only one guy in 5 days of playing wanted to do it and that was on the last day in the Semis.

In September the TD said we had to do live scoring. We kept a paper scorecard also. It's a good thing we did. There were problems with the interface (maybe because the guy(s) using phones to score are old and have old eyes) but there were some glitches.

There were problems with the live scoring app in October too. It's a good thing we kept a paper card then also.

I don't use my phone at all on the course. So I couldn't keep score at all (I did the paper card those two rounds).

While live scoring is great for administration. There's no lag waiting for TD and staff to get card order/hole assignment between rounds. Everything else runs smoother because of that. I can't see forcing me ever using a phone to do it. Unzip a pocket, pull out my phone, key in the password, get the app up, enter the scores, turn off the screen, put the phone back, re-zip the pocket. Whew! And during tournaments I generally leave my phone in my car anyway...

I've got mixed feelings about it.

Does live scoring work without a cell signal?
There are quite a few courses I've played where there is no cell service.