Old 06-15-2018, 08:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,766 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Yeah, I tried this wives-tale once, after 30 seconds it blew a hole in the rim and splattered melted plastic.

Maybe it depends on plastic, but it's a lesson learned and I won't repeat it.

Just go to a wooded course and play an afternoon of putter only rounds. It will improve more than just your putters too.
So your saying dubious advice about microwaving your putters didn't work!?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.3
Courses Played: 232
Niced 733 Times in 352 Posts

Find a putter you can use, out of the box. Then when they "break in", read worn out, in my book.....donate them.

I think depending on a set of putters to reach their sweet spot, is simply providing an excuse for putting woes.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 466 Times in 342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Find a putter you can use, out of the box. Then when they "break in", read worn out, in my book.....donate them.

I think depending on a set of putters to reach their sweet spot, is simply providing an excuse for putting woes.
I can see this. My wizards work fantastic out of the box. But with a little time they become something mythical. I love my broke in twins. And have replacements for them. But I can use them brand new without much difference. I do agree with you slightly though about SOME people looking for excuses. A buddy of mine has a fresh putter every time we play (2x/month) and hes compkaining about it's not sweet yet. Ask him what happened to the brand new one he just bought that shoukd have 2 weeks wear on it. "Ummmmmm", riiiight.... STFU and miss your putt dude. LOL

Niced: (1)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 105
Niced 164 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
3-5 minutes in the microwave and they'll be plenty soft.
If this post wasn't tongue in cheek then I take back my thumb.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 42
Niced 1,766 Times in 817 Posts

I prefer to bake my putters in the over @ 350 F for 14-16 minutes. I take them out and poke them with a toothpick and if the toothpick comes out clean, I know they are JUST right for putting.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 22
Niced 976 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
If this post wasn't tongue in cheek then I take back my thumb.
Iv'e seen it posted quite a few times before, so apparently some folks have tried it and probably ruined a few discs along the way.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:20 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 208
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 840 Times in 432 Posts

If the plastic is too firm, the microwave isn't going to help. The plastic would just cool to be firm again. I really don't think anything but use will soften the plastic.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 74
Niced 54 Times in 44 Posts

Just reverse osmosis some oil into them
Old 06-15-2018, 02:40 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 136
Niced 909 Times in 390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
If the plastic is too firm, the microwave isn't going to help. The plastic would just cool to be firm again. I really don't think anything but use will soften the plastic.
Heat might actually break down the plastic a bit, so you can leave your discs outside in the sun to soften them. I had a friend who used to leave Wizards in the back window of his car prior to SSS plastic and it really did seem to work. His Wizards were crazy/soft compared to the roof-shingle stiffness they started with. It took a long time, though. You had to leave them in the car for quite some time.

The story I heard about Gateway creating SSS plastic was that George Smith was Gateway-sponsored and liked a really soft putter, so they were leaving Wizards out in a practice basket in Dave's yard to soften them up for him. They decided to just create a plastic that soft out of the box for him, and it sold.

I always assumed that was where the microwave myth came from, trying to quickly reproduce the sunlight trick. I think the sunlight either breaks down the plastic or it's the process of heating/cooling repeatedly that works. The microwave seems like a really bad idea.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:11 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,149 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Heat might actually break down the plastic a bit, so you can leave your discs outside in the sun to soften them. I had a friend who used to leave Wizards in the back window of his car prior to SSS plastic and it really did seem to work. His Wizards were crazy/soft compared to the roof-shingle stiffness they started with. It took a long time, though. You had to leave them in the car for quite some time.

The story I heard about Gateway creating SSS plastic was that George Smith was Gateway-sponsored and liked a really soft putter, so they were leaving Wizards out in a practice basket in Dave's yard to soften them up for him. They decided to just create a plastic that soft out of the box for him, and it sold.

I always assumed that was where the microwave myth came from, trying to quickly reproduce the sunlight trick. I think the sunlight either breaks down the plastic or it's the process of heating/cooling repeatedly that works. The microwave seems like a really bad idea.
Didn't Ken Climo put discs on the roof of his house to let the sun heat them up?

And agree that microwaves are not a good alternate way to accomplish what the sun does to discs....