#11  
Old 06-15-2018, 09:57 AM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,717
Niced 2,031 Times in 901 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Yeah, I tried this wives-tale once, after 30 seconds it blew a hole in the rim and splattered melted plastic.

Maybe it depends on plastic, but it's a lesson learned and I won't repeat it.


Just go to a wooded course and play an afternoon of putter only rounds. It will improve more than just your putters too.
So your saying dubious advice about microwaving your putters didn't work!?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-15-2018, 10:00 AM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 233
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,388
Niced 836 Times in 403 Posts
Default

Find a putter you can use, out of the box. Then when they "break in", read worn out, in my book.....donate them.

I think depending on a set of putters to reach their sweet spot, is simply providing an excuse for putting woes.

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-15-2018, 10:39 AM
Grippenripp's Avatar
Grippenripp Grippenripp is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Morrow OH.
Courses Played: 6
Posts: 1,889
Niced 569 Times in 420 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Find a putter you can use, out of the box. Then when they "break in", read worn out, in my book.....donate them.

I think depending on a set of putters to reach their sweet spot, is simply providing an excuse for putting woes.
I can see this. My wizards work fantastic out of the box. But with a little time they become something mythical. I love my broke in twins. And have replacements for them. But I can use them brand new without much difference. I do agree with you slightly though about SOME people looking for excuses. A buddy of mine has a fresh putter every time we play (2x/month) and hes compkaining about it's not sweet yet. Ask him what happened to the brand new one he just bought that shoukd have 2 weeks wear on it. "Ummmmmm", riiiight.... STFU and miss your putt dude. LOL

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-15-2018, 10:59 AM
Jimb's Avatar
Jimb Jimb is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: WV near Cumberland, MD
Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,529
Niced 195 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
3-5 minutes in the microwave and they'll be plenty soft.
If this post wasn't tongue in cheek then I take back my thumb.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-15-2018, 11:01 AM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,717
Niced 2,031 Times in 901 Posts
Default

I prefer to bake my putters in the over @ 350 F for 14-16 minutes. I take them out and poke them with a toothpick and if the toothpick comes out clean, I know they are JUST right for putting.

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-15-2018, 11:18 AM
Keller's Avatar
Keller Keller is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Above ground
Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,673
Niced 1,155 Times in 557 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
If this post wasn't tongue in cheek then I take back my thumb.
Iv'e seen it posted quite a few times before, so apparently some folks have tried it and probably ruined a few discs along the way.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-15-2018, 11:20 AM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is offline
Salient Disc Test Team
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Blue Ash, OH
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 15,844
Niced 929 Times in 481 Posts
Default

If the plastic is too firm, the microwave isn't going to help. The plastic would just cool to be firm again. I really don't think anything but use will soften the plastic.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-15-2018, 03:12 PM
tylerc's Avatar
tylerc tylerc is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: nc
Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 74
Posts: 1,140
Niced 68 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Just reverse osmosis some oil into them
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-15-2018, 03:40 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 140
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 8,449
Niced 1,086 Times in 436 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
If the plastic is too firm, the microwave isn't going to help. The plastic would just cool to be firm again. I really don't think anything but use will soften the plastic.
Heat might actually break down the plastic a bit, so you can leave your discs outside in the sun to soften them. I had a friend who used to leave Wizards in the back window of his car prior to SSS plastic and it really did seem to work. His Wizards were crazy/soft compared to the roof-shingle stiffness they started with. It took a long time, though. You had to leave them in the car for quite some time.

The story I heard about Gateway creating SSS plastic was that George Smith was Gateway-sponsored and liked a really soft putter, so they were leaving Wizards out in a practice basket in Dave's yard to soften them up for him. They decided to just create a plastic that soft out of the box for him, and it sold.

I always assumed that was where the microwave myth came from, trying to quickly reproduce the sunlight trick. I think the sunlight either breaks down the plastic or it's the process of heating/cooling repeatedly that works. The microwave seems like a really bad idea.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 06-15-2018, 04:11 PM
SD86's Avatar
SD86 SD86 is offline
I Don't Actually Disc Golf
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 7,177
Niced 1,213 Times in 965 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Heat might actually break down the plastic a bit, so you can leave your discs outside in the sun to soften them. I had a friend who used to leave Wizards in the back window of his car prior to SSS plastic and it really did seem to work. His Wizards were crazy/soft compared to the roof-shingle stiffness they started with. It took a long time, though. You had to leave them in the car for quite some time.

The story I heard about Gateway creating SSS plastic was that George Smith was Gateway-sponsored and liked a really soft putter, so they were leaving Wizards out in a practice basket in Dave's yard to soften them up for him. They decided to just create a plastic that soft out of the box for him, and it sold.

I always assumed that was where the microwave myth came from, trying to quickly reproduce the sunlight trick. I think the sunlight either breaks down the plastic or it's the process of heating/cooling repeatedly that works. The microwave seems like a really bad idea.
Didn't Ken Climo put discs on the roof of his house to let the sun heat them up?

And agree that microwaves are not a good alternate way to accomplish what the sun does to discs....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breaking In A Disc DiscologyGus Technique & Strategy 21 04-16-2017 03:31 PM
breaking in a disc nash2000 Discs 13 10-16-2014 01:58 PM
Breaking out of Plateaus djjeremiahj Technique & Strategy 9 02-15-2011 04:52 PM
Breaking it in, without using it CwAlbino Discs 5 08-19-2009 01:29 PM
Breaking In??? jared572 Discs 21 07-12-2009 03:13 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.