#21  
Old 05-08-2019, 08:28 PM
aphilso1's Avatar
aphilso1 aphilso1 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Nebraska
Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 603
Niced 356 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Well if anyone cares haha... I got my Boblov.. It's really solid for the price.. Rechargeable so no "rare" batteries.. Pin lock detector thing.. It's good! Only messed with it a bit but close enough for me and if something goes wrong I will poke on back and let you folks know.. But pretty happy with it of course it's still the honeymoon month.. The slope feature is useless..in that it works... but why? Haha it does get messed by twiggy brush you need a clear view at least a 2-3' hole to shoot through.
This one?
https://www.amazon.com/BOBLOV-Rangef...s%2C188&sr=1-7

I've considered buying it, since it seems like a decent deal. But I really want one that has a usable slope feature...why do you say the slope feature is worthless?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-08-2019, 09:01 PM
ThrowaEnvy's Avatar
ThrowaEnvy ThrowaEnvy is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pender Is. B.C.
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 1,989
Niced 627 Times in 447 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
This one?
https://www.amazon.com/BOBLOV-Rangef...s%2C188&sr=1-7

I've considered buying it, since it seems like a decent deal. But I really want one that has a usable slope feature...why do you say the slope feature is worthless?
This one ....

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07HNX...6MV123RG&psc=1

Yours looks better.. I think the slope is useless because a ball will roll up while a disc requires more effort. A disc also requires less to go downhill.

That being said I tried it again on a tree and the tree is at 59 yards if I tilt to a 35 degree (max) line it comes out as 76.. After 35 degrees it won't read.

Tried a pole at 99yds + or - 0.5yd
Lowest slope measurement 90 highest 102.5
Power pole is approx 30 ft tall and I shot from approx 6' above the base of it.

If I was throwing at the bottom- then mid maybe a putter. Top of pole is a driver for sure

I don't even feel like it got "level" correct with the slope.. But maybe there's a factor there such as calculating an average roll for a ball..

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-08-2019, 09:19 PM
aphilso1's Avatar
aphilso1 aphilso1 is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Nebraska
Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 603
Niced 356 Times in 217 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
This one ....

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07HNX...6MV123RG&psc=1

Yours looks better.. I think the slope is useless because a ball will roll up while a disc requires more effort. A disc also requires less to go downhill.

That being said I tried it again on a tree and the tree is at 59 yards if I tilt to a 35 degree (max) line it comes out as 76.. After 35 degrees it won't read.

Tried a pole at 99yds + or - 0.5yd
Lowest slope measurement 90 highest 102.5
Power pole is approx 30 ft tall and I shot from approx 6' above the base of it.

If I was throwing at the bottom- then mid maybe a putter. Top of pole is a driver for sure

I don't even feel like it got "level" correct with the slope.. But maybe there's a factor there such as calculating an average roll for a ball..
Gotcha. So the slope calculation is in ball golf terms, and doesn't really convert well to the amount of additional effort required to propel a disc up a slope (or reduced effort for down a slope). That's disappointing, but it makes sense. I'll keep that in mind and probably end up buying a cheaper non-slope calculating rangefinder. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-08-2019, 09:31 PM
ThrowaEnvy's Avatar
ThrowaEnvy ThrowaEnvy is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pender Is. B.C.
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 1,989
Niced 627 Times in 447 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Gotcha. So the slope calculation is in ball golf terms, and doesn't really convert well to the amount of additional effort required to propel a disc up a slope (or reduced effort for down a slope). That's disappointing, but it makes sense. I'll keep that in mind and probably end up buying a cheaper non-slope calculating rangefinder. Thanks for the info.
No problem.. The flag lock feature is awesome though.. From the research I did if yours has fog and water resistance it's probably a good deal.. Boblov seemed like the best of the cheaper ones especially the BUILT IN battery!!!
Reply With Quote
 

  #25  
Old 05-21-2019, 10:53 PM
Blobfish's Avatar
Blobfish Blobfish is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 377
Niced 132 Times in 76 Posts
Default

I use this one but I paid a lot less for it. I'd recommend it under 50 bucks even though I'm not a huge fan of the controls. It turns on too easily and I'm not sure if there is a way to turn it off without just letting it sit idle. But if you can get it cheap, it's not bad.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Measuring with a range finder torzheil Disc Golf Courses 7 03-01-2016 11:00 PM
Range finder theabacus Other Gear 28 05-16-2014 04:29 PM
Disc Golf Driving Range wrightmustangman Course Design 22 02-12-2014 10:53 AM
Pearly Firebird and OOP Shark also a Beefy Nuke, and Range Finder?? CTRobuck The Marketplace 5 07-24-2012 05:58 PM
Disc golf driving range? The Dude General Disc Golf Chat 23 04-30-2009 12:52 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.