Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-26-2020, 11:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 146
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,232 Times in 503 Posts

After sorting and organizing my disc stash, I realized that I have plenty of backups for every slot ... Except the CD2. So I've been on a kick of stocking up.

Fortunately I like the recent run of S-line, so there are plenty to be had at reasonable prices. A few interesting stamps floating around, too.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-26-2020, 11:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 277 Times in 140 Posts

My next step is to fill out my "7 speed" game.

Eventually, I want to settle on a "wind" disc and a "calm" disc. The Teebird is the obvious wind choice, but it hurts my hand a lot for some reason (only thrown it in Champ plastic). Meanwhile, the Leopard3 is just slightly not good enough in the wind, but also might not be as good for me as the River when it's calm. So I want to experiment with the Explorer (for wind) and Stalker (for calm) along with the River/Teebird(in other plastic)/Leop3, and see if I can find a good 2 disc combo out of these 5 candidates (and any other suggestions!) in the 7 slot that doesn't mess up my hand. That's my mission lol, wish me luck. I'm gonna be buying at least 10 copies of the various 7 speeders this month.

**And if there's a great 7 speed disc out there that is both good in the wind and comfortable in the hand, please let me know!
Old 04-26-2020, 11:53 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 23
Niced 21 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post

Eventually, I want to settle on a "wind" disc and a "calm" disc. The Teebird is the obvious wind choice, but it hurts my hand a lot for some reason (only thrown it in Champ plastic). Meanwhile, the Leopard3 is just slightly not good enough in the wind, but also might not be as good for me as the River when it's calm. So I want to experiment with the Explorer (for wind) and Stalker (for calm) along with the River/Teebird(in other plastic)/Leop3, and see if I can find a good 2 disc combo out of these 5 candidates (and any other suggestions!) in the 7 slot that doesn't mess up my hand. That's my mission lol, wish me luck. I'm gonna be buying at least 10 copies of the various 7 speeders this month.

**And if there's a great 7 speed disc out there that is both good in the wind and comfortable in the hand, please let me know!

Eagle maybe? Stable enough for wind imo.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-27-2020, 12:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post

I would suggest the Eagle, which is actually 2 molds.

X-mold Eagle is your "wind" disc. This is most Eagles bought off the shelf these days.

L-mold Eagle is your "calm" disc. This has been discontinued by Innova, but they use that mold to make the Exodus for Infinite Discs. And there are many L-mold Eagles that you can buy used.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:04 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,198 Times in 991 Posts

I got Two Innova Archon One in Star 170 grams with a very tad higher then average dome and a 172 odd bad type Distructulan top where the Dome meets on the top plate part over the wing Champion at 172 grams that has 3-4 in glide not the 5 with . I hope for these Archon especially the domed Star 170 Grams to be my eventual longest thrower since my 167 Gram Champion Destroyer is a little bit too much disc I can sort of use and my 170 Champion Destroyer is truly too much disc. I hope the 170-171 gram Star Archon becomes my longest driver.

I wanted a speed 12 driver that was in both Star and Champion the -2/2 like a Valkyrie but I can't and the Whaoo is odd due in part to its 6 in glide so an 11 speed will have to do. I have tested the discs in a nearby park that is mostly a field and the Star was out preforming both Glow Champion and near flat top Star Valkyrie I have at 170 grams for both discs, and obivously the Champion Archon that was not great but will work for times I need a Valkyrie flight exactly but into a headwind from 25 up to 30-35 mph as past that I will just use my lighter weight Champion Destroyer. I had to do the hot water method to the Champion Archon before I could throw the disc as I got a disc slicker and stiffer then the Jolly Launcher Champion I got my Champion Destroyers in, probably too stiff for PDGA competition. This plastic was almost as stiff as the plastic used for windows when new but now is softer to where Jolly Launcher starts but has the grip of good Champion that has a little more in give to the disc when new.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 04-27-2020 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
After sorting and organizing my disc stash, I realized that I have plenty of backups for every slot ... Except the CD2. So I've been on a kick of stocking up.

Fortunately I like the recent run of S-line, so there are plenty to be had at reasonable prices. A few interesting stamps floating around, too.
I did that last year with the Z Stalker, bought 6 backup but then at the time in early 2019 I thought the last premium plastic OS fairway was going oop in the Z plastic for Pro D when all that was happening was the Running out Z Stalker for ones with flight numbers on the stamp.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 525
Niced 1,646 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
I would suggest the Eagle, which is actually 2 molds.

X-mold Eagle is your "wind" disc. This is most Eagles bought off the shelf these days.

L-mold Eagle is your "calm" disc. This has been discontinued by Innova, but they use that mold to make the Exodus for Infinite Discs. And there are many L-mold Eagles that you can buy used.
I didn't know the Exodus was an Eagle-L. I thought I saw on the factory store a few months ago that they had both Eagle L's and X's in Gstar. Unless I'm remembering wrong.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
I didn't know the Exodus was an Eagle-L. I thought I saw on the factory store a few months ago that they had both Eagle L's and X's in Gstar. Unless I'm remembering wrong.
Ah, that may be true. I'm not a fan of G-star, so not up to date in that regard.

There are still F2 Eagle-L's available in champ from the Factory Store if you ask nicely or know the right folks.

And yes, as far as I can tell: S-blend Exodus is actually a Star Eagle-L with a new brand and stamp. Good disc.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 167
Niced 197 Times in 134 Posts

I'm working a 2019 MJ Comet and a 2020 Sexton Firebird into my rotation.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
I'm working a 2019 MJ Comet and a 2020 Sexton Firebird into my rotation.
I have heard with most players who play more frequent and use Comet discs, that I betcha can't just have one, like once you Comet you just can't stop.