Old 07-22-2020, 09:38 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,136 Times in 443 Posts

Are they still selling Firm Wiz’s? I wound up with one of those and that feels like the closest thing around to an indestructible base plastic. Really like it for putting too.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2020, 10:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 35 Times in 25 Posts

I added recently added eight new Wizards to my collection - 2 PWP, 2 Firm, 2 SS and 2 SSS. I am a fan of Gateway's variation in plastic blends; with a collection of a couple dozen Wizards, I choose what feels best for the season or weather conditions.

The new Wizards have seen a couple months of use, mostly from backyard practice putting. The best "feel" (subjective) right now in hot, humid summer are the Firms and PWPs - smooth surface, grippy but not tacky, stiff but not "porcelain". The SSS are like some Innova R-Pro, you can fold them in half as they are very rubbery. The SS surprised me with having a rubbery feel; not as flexible as the SSS but much more flexible and rubbery than my older SS Wizards. They are somewhat tacky and might be good in cooler, dryer conditions or in the rain. I could see using the new SSS Wizards for throwing in rainstorms, again, like Innova R-Pro.

Durability, after 2 months ... the SS and especially SSS seem nearly indestuctible; instead of chunking they bounce. The Firms have held up nicely for putting; the rims are dented from hitting chains and cage but not much damage from hitting the band or rough ground. The PWPs feel great but have suffered more slices, cuts and chunks than the Firms.

Summary: For these new Wizards, and summer conditions, I'd choose a Firm for putting and a SS for throwing (after breaking them in for another few months to a year.)

Niced: (1)
Old 07-23-2020, 03:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,531 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Vegeta View Post
Just bought two max weight eraser wizards. Fantastic putter. I wanted something that was firm but had a tacky grip. I’ve already played a round with it and I’m happy with my purchase. It also throws really well. My question is to all of the wizard aficionados, what plastic do you like to use it as a throwing putter in? I don’t want to beat up my eraser ones. Thanks!
When I putted with Wizards I used Eraser for both driving and putting. It is tough enough to not worry about beating it up like one does with most baselines. I did this in heavy woods.

Just throw them.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 07-23-2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 14
Niced 55 Times in 33 Posts

Because I apparently have a problem and can't control my disc habits, I stopped at my local shop and picked up a $ wizard and I think I'm love

Old 07-23-2020, 03:51 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,136 Times in 443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1discChallenge View Post
Because I apparently have a problem and can't control my disc habits, I stopped at my local shop and picked up a $ wizard and I think I'm love
We all have a problem, that’s why we’re here.

Old 08-07-2020, 04:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 630 Times in 413 Posts

I just made an order for 5 SS Wizards from the same run, stoked to go back to putting and throwing the same mold.

Presently putting with Daggers and bagging an extra one for throwing. Decided to switch back to Wizards after checking some out in a local shop.

I also note that it looks like they did away with "S" suregrip and are now calling it "Firm" again. Goes straight from Firm to SS and so on.

I always thought I would prefer the absolute stiffest putter possible, but I have since realized I like a little flex. I figure SS is the perfect compromise with the largely rigid structure combined with the tacky surface. Plus, Suregrip is what I prefer for driving.

Going to throw a wizard for putting in the bag, plus one to start a cycle:

Wizard putter
Wizard thrower
Proxy > eventually plan to replace with a beat straight Wizard

Very nice
Old 08-07-2020, 06:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 49 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
I just made an order for 5 SS Wizards from the same run, stoked to go back to putting and throwing the same mold.

Presently putting with Daggers and bagging an extra one for throwing. Decided to switch back to Wizards after checking some out in a local shop.

I also note that it looks like they did away with "S" suregrip and are now calling it "Firm" again. Goes straight from Firm to SS and so on.

I always thought I would prefer the absolute stiffest putter possible, but I have since realized I like a little flex. I figure SS is the perfect compromise with the largely rigid structure combined with the tacky surface. Plus, Suregrip is what I prefer for driving.

Going to throw a wizard for putting in the bag, plus one to start a cycle:

Wizard putter
Wizard thrower
Proxy > eventually plan to replace with a beat straight Wizard

Very nice
Try out a voodoo if you want a similar feeling disc in the same plastic that flies like a beat wizard. It may replace your proxy for you.

Then of course pick up a scale for those windy days

Welcome back to club though, hard to beat a wizard! I tend to like the ss firmness for throwing as well, especially when the get beat into having a nice puddle top.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 210
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 210 Times in 129 Posts
Default Wizard

Any Wizard guru's want to weigh in here? Picked up what I believe to be a G9i Wiz from PIAS this weekend. Plastic certainly meets the criteria and I know the small thrower stamp was on G9i's. Also has the PDGA approved tooling on the back. No marking of plastic type.

Last edited by kevdiv48; 08-10-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:39 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 220
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,651 Times in 854 Posts

I bought 20 from the earliest runs and have acquired a few from later runs. From the bulk buy(s), 10 center black stamps and 10 bottom right rainbow stamp and marked like yours. Every one of mine were flat. Same for the later blends (non-Wizard stamps).

Can't tell if that's dome or the angle of the disc in your profile pic. Looks like a nice thrower either way.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 167
Niced 197 Times in 134 Posts

Haven’t seen one of those in a while! Looks like a later run to me, but I’ve never seen the early runs. Jealous!