Old 07-24-2020, 02:16 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 86 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Thansk for the more info. My point on the graphic, and the headline in this article, was asking were schools the only thing that changed in Isreal. The graphic and article seem to be insinuating schools were the cause of Israel's 2nd wave, but to me that doesn't make sense ... unless the schools reopening were the only new change.

According to this article it was public gatherings:

Quote:
An Israeli official with knowledge of the pandemic response said government researchers have traced the bulk of new infections to a single category of activity: public gatherings, particularly weddings. The official said a huge spike in weddings — some 2,092 between June 15 and June 25 — proved the events to be covid-19 incubators.
Public gatherings, along with restaurant opening and schools being opened up leading to a 2nd wave in Isreal sounds quite reasonable to me. Articles touting the schools wiped out lockdown gains or graphics listing schools as the only cause of the 2nd wave spike seem disingenuous. As I said though, I'd like to see schools offer tele-school vs in-person classes.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2020, 02:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 415 Times in 238 Posts

I'm still shocked that people don't get that 7 hours of enforced social gathering will spread a respiratory virus.

That's just hilarious to me.

Niced: (3)
Old 07-24-2020, 02:32 PM
Par Member

Niced 94 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I read it, it reads more like a hit piece than an informative article. Not much of a big picture perspective given.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,455 Times in 2,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysmike View Post
I'm still shocked that people don't get that 7 hours of enforced social gathering will spread a respiratory virus.

Wishful thinking, and just enough carefully selected data to support it.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-24-2020, 04:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:

If you assume that the people, in this case, are a group of people who don't catch or shed the virus, at least in any significant numbers, it makes more sense.

It seems that, early on, there was some indication that this might be the case. Now there's contravening data, but the jury's still out.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-24-2020, 04:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
If you assume that the people, in this case, are a group of people who don't catch or shed the virus, at least in any significant numbers, it makes more sense.

It seems that, early on, there was some indication that this might be the case. Now there's contravening data, but the jury's still out.
Schools were closed, kids stayed home. Is this really that ****ing hard?
Old 07-24-2020, 04:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,572 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
This is actually an interesting question, if by interesting you mean "get it wrong and a bunch of people might die." There is data from other countries where schools have opened, and as DavidSauls says, the data are mixed and the jury is still out.

And perhaps significantly, younger children might be less likely to spread Coronavirus compared with older children and adults. But the studies are pretty thin. As I said previously, I would want a lot more solid data before rolling this particular set of dice.

The WaPo fact checker does a nice overview of the data below, with links so that one can peruse the cited studies.

DeVos's claim that children are 'stoppers' of covid-19 | WaPo Fact Checker (clicky)

Niced: (2)
Old 07-24-2020, 04:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
This is actually an interesting question, if by interesting you mean "get it wrong and a bunch of people might die." There is data from other countries where schools have opened, and as DavidSauls says, the data are mixed and the jury is still out.

And perhaps significantly, younger children might be less likely to spread Coronavirus compared with older children and adults. But the studies are pretty thin. As I said previously, I would want a lot more solid data before rolling this particular set of dice.

The WaPo fact checker does a nice overview of the data below, with links so that one can peruse the cited studies.

DeVos's claim that children are 'stoppers' of covid-19 | WaPo Fact Checker (clicky)
Without additional data, we should probably roll with what we know about other coronaviruses and what we know about the human immune system in general. This is purely a political move, as was the push to open.. without meeting a single criteria.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
When the adults in those households went out, got sick, and came home, did the kids get sick (at the expected rate)?

Is "home from school" the only reason kids have been getting sick is such low numbers?

Or is there something different about children?

Hey, I'm with you, I'm wary of opening schools. I'm just saying that the early assumption that kids may not spread it had some basis. I give those people a little benefit of the doubt. It wasn't as crazy as, say, 20-somethings crowding bars and parties would be immune.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
When the adults in those households went out, got sick, and came home, did the kids get sick (at the expected rate)?

Is "home from school" the only reason kids have been getting sick is such low numbers?

Or is there something different about children?

Hey, I'm with you, I'm wary of opening schools. I'm just saying that the early assumption that kids may not spread it had some basis. I give those people a little benefit of the doubt. It wasn't as crazy as, say, 20-somethings crowding bars and parties would be immune.
So, from the conversations I've had with a friend of mine who is a contact tracer... I would say that it's not uncommon for entire households, including children, to contract covid19.

This is, very admittedly, anecdotal.. however, it's been enough that I've gotten to hear someone very upset about having to contact trace toddlers.

Also: one of my colleagues is now sick.. he got it from his kids, who got it from their aunt.

Last edited by dysmike; 07-24-2020 at 04:32 PM.