Old 07-24-2020, 07:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5,742 Times in 2,967 Posts

Here's a link to his FB page and a vid of the scoober…

https://www.facebook.com/BrodieSmith...2844641575878/
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-25-2020, 10:05 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 357 Times in 186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
993 -2 today. Had a pretty good round going till the last 4 holes. Made a 60ft scoober on 13 for a bird, lol.
in his post round interview he said he thought that was as poorly as he could've played (I'm paraphrasing here). I was kinda surprised to hear him say that as I think he definitely played very well in some aspects, such as scrambling. I also think he got kinda lucky to go into the woods so often and always have a clear line out to be able to scramble and save par, but some credit to his ability to throw the scramble shots is certainly due.

I'll be curious to see if he's right and he shoots way better today

Old 07-25-2020, 10:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,664 Times in 922 Posts

If he improves the accuracy of his drives, he could easily shave a few strokes.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 152
Niced 489 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
in his post round interview he said he thought that was as poorly as he could've played (I'm paraphrasing here). I was kinda surprised to hear him say that as I think he definitely played very well in some aspects, such as scrambling. I also think he got kinda lucky to go into the woods so often and always have a clear line out to be able to scramble and save par, but some credit to his ability to throw the scramble shots is certainly due.

I'll be curious to see if he's right and he shoots way better today
It is very hard, even with the OB I heard about on 17, to be happy with your round when you finish the Toboggan's closing stretch over par. The last 6 holes are a spot you want to attack. The first 12 holes you grind and try to get some birdies, avoid the danger, the last 6 you hit hard for birdies. There's pretty much no excuse for someone playing decent to come away with a 5 on hole 15 without a nasty rollaway (which would be a reason to be annoyed). You want to pick up a 2 on one or two of 14/16/18, and hole 17 is hard to 5 as well though with the OB I heard about I'm sure its harder to find a safe landing zone if you want to go for the green in 2.

I don't think he'd agree after the tournament that his first 12 holes were in that "as poorly as he could have" category. But that finish is gonna leave a bitter taste in the mouth, and right after the round the whole thing is gonna feel pretty annoying.

Old 07-25-2020, 09:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
It is very hard, even with the OB I heard about on 17, to be happy with your round when you finish the Toboggan's closing stretch over par. The last 6 holes are a spot you want to attack. The first 12 holes you grind and try to get some birdies, avoid the danger, the last 6 you hit hard for birdies. There's pretty much no excuse for someone playing decent to come away with a 5 on hole 15 without a nasty rollaway (which would be a reason to be annoyed). You want to pick up a 2 on one or two of 14/16/18, and hole 17 is hard to 5 as well though with the OB I heard about I'm sure its harder to find a safe landing zone if you want to go for the green in 2.

I don't think he'd agree after the tournament that his first 12 holes were in that "as poorly as he could have" category. But that finish is gonna leave a bitter taste in the mouth, and right after the round the whole thing is gonna feel pretty annoying.
It was a rollaway on 15. Front rimmed an uphill putt and airballed the 35" par putt he had after the roll. On 17 he tried to play safe off the tee but his disc flipped to flat and sailed into a bush along the right side. He then tried to bite off a bit too much with a FH and was short left and walled off from the green. He tried to throw another FH from there and overcooked it a bit which made it roll down the hill behind the basket. Damn near canned a FH from where it stopped though, 50-60fter just a bit low off the front rim.

Haven't looked at udisc yet to get an idea of what he was doing, was busy all day. But did see that he shot even today

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 07-25-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Here's a vid of the 2nd rd b9 from that even in VA he played last week. A local kid with a YT channel filmed it after playing his round which is why its only the back 9...

Old 07-26-2020, 09:04 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 357 Times in 186 Posts

Ultimately I'm rooting for brodie to succeed but only if he humbles himself a bit... but projecting ultimate supreme confidence seems to be part of his game plan so maybe I'm asking for too much
Old 07-26-2020, 09:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
Ultimately I'm rooting for brodie to succeed but only if he humbles himself a bit... but projecting ultimate supreme confidence seems to be part of his game plan so maybe I'm asking for too much
He definitely had some shrugged shoulders in that vid.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 199
Niced 990 Times in 624 Posts

At least he is making it clear he's not out of place in MPO. It remains to be seen if he'll be competitive at the top level, but it's still a distinct possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I'm curious how seriously he's taking this too. I can't imagine he's planning an MPO career and suspect his YouTube business is the reason for this.

At the same time, I suspect he'll be a low level MPO player without all that much work if he desires, and certainly could hit 1000 rated with some time commitment.
That was 6-7 months ago toward the beginning of this thread. It's pretty impressive (to me at least) that he does seem to have taken disc golf pretty seriously and that he's making some decent progress even in a relatively short period of time, with a season tainted by COVID concerns.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:07 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 86 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post

That was 6-7 months ago toward the beginning of this thread. It's pretty impressive (to me at least) that he does seem to have taken disc golf pretty seriously and that he's making some decent progress even in a relatively short period of time, with a season tainted by COVID concerns.
I don’t even think I knew who he was until this thread, but I think a big tell on his future is his work ethic. Paul McBeth mentioned he hasn’t seen anyone work as hard, and if Brodie is treating this as a pro athlete would and training all the time he should do quite well given how far he has already come. Maybe or maybe not top 10 in the world, but seems capable of getting to the top 25% of MPO.