Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments & Leagues

Old 08-02-2020, 10:07 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 86 Times in 50 Posts
Default why do you compete in tournaments if you are not going to place?

This may seem like an odd question, but why do people play in tournaments when they don't have a chance to win and never will?

If it is just for socialization, playing with others, or getting better, can't all that be done on their own or in leagues?

I ask because being realistic, I won't get better than intermediate if I ever climb out of recreational. I don't have the physical talent, drive, youth, motivation, etc. to do more than that. There are others like me that still play in a lot of tournaments. You can see guys who have been rated in the mid to upper 800s for 20 years. Another example locally it looks like in age brackets 2 guys alternate beating all the other people in their age brackets and have been doing so for some time. In my case, in-state tournaments don't seem to have anyone in my age bracket unless an out of stater comes in.

Just curious why those who won't be winning/placing in their respective tiers...what drives them to enter tournaments vs doing social leagues or just playing with buddies or random strangers on courses?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2020, 10:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,419 Times in 2,096 Posts

Why do the also-rans compete in any sport?

It's still competition. I'm trying to beat someone, so I don't finish last. Then, the next person. Or as many as I can, even if that's not everyone in my division. If I finish above the mid-point, I take that as a winning record---I've beat more people than I lost to.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:57 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 101 Times in 30 Posts

the better question is... why not?

Old 08-02-2020, 11:04 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 86 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazedOrangeHat View Post
the better question is... why not?
The age old time and money would answer the why not.

Niced: (3)
Old 08-02-2020, 11:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 41
Niced 843 Times in 511 Posts

It's a completely different environment. Playing with your buddies or solo, in a round that will be forgotten within 24 hours after playing, has no pressure attached to it. In contrast, playing in a round that officially effects your PDGA rating and that will be recorded for posterity on the interwebs carries some inherent pressure.

I enjoy that adrenaline-pumping feel of a tournament. However, I do not at all enjoy the 4 hour rounds baking in the heat, nor the inevitability of having at least one total douche on the card for that 4 hours. I was already on the fence about not renewing my membership this year and COVID made the decision easier. I might renew again in 2021. We'll see.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:32 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,133 Times in 441 Posts

For the chicks

Old 08-02-2020, 11:33 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 332
Niced 4,732 Times in 2,068 Posts

That's how many players grow and develop. Few people will make a big splash, but all the best had to begin somewhere and develop into what they are today.

Plus there's concept of competing against the best. If that's something you question the logic of, keep in mind that we're not all wired the same.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,539 Times in 1,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWimp View Post
The age old time and money would answer the why not.
What better way to spend time and what better way to spend my entertainment budget.

I play as an outlet for my competitiveness. Having played sports my whole life, I had to learn that winning isn't everything. It became easier as I grew up. I don't need to stoke my ego and I am genuinely happy for my competition, if they play well. The challenge, as in all things in my life, is myself.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:00 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 61
Niced 168 Times in 97 Posts

I keep hoping to see firsthand someone who hits more trees than me. I know he's out there somewhere.

Kidding aside (mostly), just to see how different folks attack holes differently. Really have few local clubs so tournaments are the only way I can see others play. I really enjoy the tourneys at courses I have played some.

I'm also getting up there so it feels good to score lower than some young whippersnapper.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,559 Times in 609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWimp View Post
This may seem like an odd question, but why do people play in tournaments when they don't have a chance to win and never will?
Background: I competed year round in swimming from 8 years old through college. One of the kids on my team was probably the best swimmer in the world our age. He held a bunch of national records, and I was no where near in his league. Great having him on your relay, of course, and a super-nice guy.

So I learned that there has to be more to competition than winning. If I perform to the best of my ability, I have to be satisfied with that. If someone else in the competition is better, kudos to them. If I enter a weak competition and perform poorly but win, I derive very little satisfaction from that.

I generally don't play tournaments because I find the slow pace of play intolerable. That said, I have a goal of learning to play well in tournament conditions. Once I achieve that goal, I will probably never play a tournament again lol.