Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments & Leagues

Old 08-03-2020, 11:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,527 Times in 967 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

5 years seems to be a good cut off.

I was serious about disc golf for that long, tournaments, leagues and lots of work. My best play was when I played in 3 leagues during the week (these were not random partners, you get a partner and keep them thru the whole league) and tournaments on the weekend. The constant competition (5 days a week, 2 rounds per day) made my game explode. It was great.
Of course I never became a big time player (or else you would have heard of me) but did create some nice career highlights that I'm really glad happened.

A couple things happened that made me stop all that. 1. It costs a lot more to compete than just to drive to that course and play with a group of friends. Fighting to place in cash was fun but got old.
2. Work started sending me out of town, with no social media and not as many courses as there are today priorities took over.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-03-2020, 11:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I'm surprised there hasn't been a...

"I play tourneys because its a good excuse to be out of the house on Saturdays."

Not quite but it did get me out of the bars. I was a weekend junkie ( as we called ourselves) and couldn't do that and play tournaments at the same time. So maybe disc golf saved my life...not to be so dramatic but that is possible.

Old 08-03-2020, 11:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,600 Times in 1,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Not quite but it did get me out of the bars. I was a weekend junkie ( as we called ourselves) and couldn't do that and play tournaments at the same time. So maybe disc golf saved my life...not to be so dramatic but that is possible.
Yeah, this for sure. I might occasionally stop by the bar for one after league now, but I was certainly spending way more time in a barstool, than was good for me.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-03-2020, 12:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 20
Niced 349 Times in 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWimp View Post
This may seem like an odd question, but why do people play in tournaments when they don't have a chance to win and never will?

If it is just for socialization, playing with others, or getting better, can't all that be done on their own or in leagues?
Just curious why those who won't be winning/placing in their respective tiers...what drives them to enter tournaments vs doing social leagues or just playing with buddies or random strangers on courses?
I play in them because I know I can be better than I am and the tournaments give me a rating to use as a metric. I end up using player pack stuff or CTP prizes as things to give away to new players (often my school students). I have met many people by playing in tournaments which also makes playing social rounds more fun when I see someone I haven't in a while. And also, playing in tournaments lets me see up close many different techniques.
I guess it's that there are a lot of ways that I could spend $40-$50 for entertainment. Last year was my first year playing any tournaments and I set a pretty low bar for myself in the first one of "don't finish so far behind last place that I'd give up playing." And as the season wore on, it was "finish out of last place", "finish in the middle third" etc. And then I broke my shoulder but I still stayed in a tournament because I just really wanted to get out there and play, so I did-in an arm brace, throwing only standstill flick tosses-and yes, it helped submerge my rating further, but I didn't care, because I was just happy to be part of the culture again. I'm playing better than ever, but I think I'll move up a division before I ever win in mine, which is to the point of the OP's question: why would I do that? It's not about winning a prize, I guess. I don't need anything that's in the prizes section. If I want a new disc, for example, I buy the exact one I want. But there's something about playing a round that counts for everyone that really lets you see where you truly stack up. That's why I play.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 381 Times in 177 Posts

Not a tourney player here, but thinking about it...

I'm super competitive and tend to ruin my hobbies, so I've really been focused on just trying to use it as a creative, fun outlet. Of course, it is more fun to throw out of the fairway, have runs at the basket, and get birdies, so I've been working to improve. And now I would love to have a metric that I can track, so I'm tempted to start just to develop a rating.

We have sanctioned leagues, which I think would suit me better (I don't want to spend my whole weekend playing disc golf, just a couple of hours in the morning or evening), but with things like 5:30 check in, I really don't understand how anyone with a job can play these.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:10 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 259 Times in 148 Posts

All of this talk and I’m beginning to wonder whether I should have signed for my first tournament. <thought it was for fun><sweating now>

But, to answer the question, I’ve done a little bit of improvement/maintenance on my new home course and when the announced the tournament it seemed like the thing to do. I figure I might see some of the other people who do course improvements out there, get to chat a little maybe, who knows. All appropriately distant , but the plague will end some day and I figure these people could be good reasons to keep playing, have more fun, etc.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,447 Times in 2,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
All of this talk and Im beginning to wonder whether I should have signed for my first tournament. <thought it was for fun><sweating now>
As bogeynomore said, tournaments aren't everyone's cup of tea. But, quite obviously from the numbers, many people enjoy them. You'll never know if you're one of them, until you try. In the meantime, don't let those who don't discourage you.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:29 PM
* Ace Member *

I would definitely suggest playing tournaments. They are a fun experience. Be prepared for a long day or two.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:46 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 286 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWimp View Post
This may seem like an odd question, but why do people play in tournaments when they don't have a chance to win and never will?

If it is just for socialization, playing with others, or getting better, can't all that be done on their own or in leagues?

I ask because being realistic, I won't get better than intermediate if I ever climb out of recreational. I don't have the physical talent, drive, youth, motivation, etc. to do more than that. There are others like me that still play in a lot of tournaments. You can see guys who have been rated in the mid to upper 800s for 20 years. Another example locally it looks like in age brackets 2 guys alternate beating all the other people in their age brackets and have been doing so for some time. In my case, in-state tournaments don't seem to have anyone in my age bracket unless an out of stater comes in.

Just curious why those who won't be winning/placing in their respective tiers...what drives them to enter tournaments vs doing social leagues or just playing with buddies or random strangers on courses?
OOOOOO, I can answer this! First, some background, I played in three sanctioned and three unsanctioned tournaments last year; and I played two sanctioned tournaments this year. I play MA3 (recreational) and my PDGA rating is currently 619 and my highest was 652. I'm the DFL player.

Why do I play in tournaments when I have no chance/expectation of placing? To improve. If I play in leagues only (and I am a member of a club and play three times a week in league play), I am playing with the same people every time. Tournaments add a different type of pressure to the round. Also, by playing in a tournament, I get to see how others play/throw and sometimes I learn something that will help my game improve. Besides, it's fun and I have a good time.

One tournament I was in, Nathan Queen played. During the final 'safari' playoff, I noticed he rarely used a mini to mark his lie - he went up to where his disc landed and threw from there. I asked him, after the round, why he did that and didn't use a mini. He explained that it is routine, he thinks about his next throw as he's walking to his lie and he doesn't want to be distracted by placing a mini and having to get it positioned properly. He also said, some players use placing the mini as a way to gather their thoughts - walk up to the lie possibly thinking of other things, place the mini, stand up, decide how to throw, and throw.

I wouldn't have thought of that if I hadn't been in a tournament and had a chance to talk to Nathan Queen. (okay, maybe I would have learned it from someone else....but to hear it from a pro is different).

So I enter tournaments, play my best, hope to not be DFL again, but mainly HAVE FUN!

Niced: (2)

Old 08-03-2020, 04:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 286 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinbuttree View Post
I keep hoping to see firsthand someone who hits more trees than me. I know he's out there somewhere.

Kidding aside (mostly), just to see how different folks attack holes differently. Really have few local clubs so tournaments are the only way I can see others play. I really enjoy the tourneys at courses I have played some.

I'm also getting up there so it feels good to score lower than some young whippersnapper.
That's me! I'd be hitting more trees than you and taking home the DFL trophy.

I agree with 'seeing how different folks attack holes'. That's why I watch a lot of Simon Lizotte videos. There was one in 2017 where he threw sideways off the tee pad over the adjoining fairway - after the first round, more players were taking that route and the TD created a mando so that route couldn't be taken. It's made me look at holes differently and think 'just because EVERYONE else throws that way' is it the best way?