Old 07-30-2020, 01:18 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 226 Times in 126 Posts

Proprioception plays a big part. The drive in Disc Golf is a fairly complex action and those with better proprioception can more easily tweak their form. You'll know if you have good proprioception if when you look at a video of your drive you recognise what your body is doing. If you have poor proprioception you'll look at different things happening in your drive and think "does my body really do that?!"
I believe it can all be overcome with muscle memory and directed practice, but if you don't need to put as much effort in you'll get there quicker.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2020, 01:38 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Beginner to beginner

Hi all. I picked up my first disc almost four months ago. Still struggling with distance, but then again I am a 59 year old rookie! In any case the best advice I have received so far:

1. learn your discs. Do not go crazy buying discs as a beginner, just keep practicing with what you have. Not until you can reliably count on what each disc can do, should you consider buying. This is the hardest because it is FUN to buy new discs!

2. Throw/practice with your putter. I was told you will learn good habits if you work on everything: distance, direction and form with your putter. Once you get good with your putter you can start translating to other discs. This too is hard to stick with.

I have about 10 discs right now and am trying really hard to just stick with them until I get better. I did take a few days and just brought my putter, but I soon went back to trying to throw the long ones! But it definitely helped.

One last thing. I started out watching all the DG teaching videos, which are somewhat helpful. But if you are going to watch videos, I found watching the Disc Golf pro tourney replays way more helpful! Watching pros in action has really helped my game.

Cheers, see you out there banging some chains! Mike
Old 08-07-2020, 02:03 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 196 Times in 97 Posts

For reference, I am 45 and have been playing Forehand dominant for 2 years. Last year I could get 280 using a Nuke SS (13 speed). I recently threw a Starfire (10 speed) about 320. But I also haven't stood in a field and tried throwing for distance for over a year. Sometimes its seems I take a step forward, sometimes backward. I think I'm better than I used to be although my score seems to have gone up. But I also don't take mulligans like I used to...

I play once a week, twice if I'm lucky. Frequency of play seems to make a big difference. Putt practice also seems to make a world of difference.

A guy I've played with the past 2 weeks in league has an absolute missile of a forehand shot. I need to pay a lot closer attention to his form and see where he is getting that power.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 287 Times in 143 Posts

I think the way to go when thinking about potential is not what that potential might be, but how that potential can be reached and how far you want to go to reach it. You can put a number on it like "350" but that number doesn't throw practice shots or make good habits or take advice. That said, there are some people who thrive by orienting their efforts toward goals in that way, and if they get good results doing that, then that's probably what they should be doing. Others do better by periodically finding out where they stand, and basing short term goals on whatever represents the next level to them from wherever they stand at a particular time. Regardless of the goal, the work remains, and that's the whole important part of it.

All that said, generally speaking, 350 is a reasonable goal on average for people who are under 40, can play 3x a week, are serviceably athletic, and who are willing to do a little practice.

Last edited by disco40; 08-07-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:46 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,211 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherWimp View Post
You forgot all the they throw their putter that 350-400 feet comments.

Part of it is bravado, trying to impress internet strangers for some odd reason. Another part is just different outlooks on what it means to throw X distance.

Person A says they throw their Leopard 350, when what they mean is they hit a 350 foot shot down hill with a tailwind yesterday so that is of coruse what they throw.

Person B says they throw their Leopard 250, when what they mean that is their average golf distance on a course teeing off with it. In a field or in the right conditions they get it out to 325 every now and then, but that isn't their typical throw.
I am B but usually say I average 250 feet with my midrange like fairway discs both models.

Old 08-17-2020, 12:39 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 56 Times in 46 Posts

An update-
It's now been almost 2 months since I learned to throw left handed. This weekend I practiced some distance and my average drive is now at 300 feet. On Saturday I threw one maxed out to 367. That is really rare. This morning throwing I hit 348, 354 with no wind on flat ground. Most of my throws were in the 290-320 range. I am finding that most of my understable drivers now turn a lot. I went and bought a Latitude 64 Sapphire and love it. That was the disc I threw 348 this morning.

It wasn't but just 6 weeks ago that I thought 300 was almost an impossible goal. I've battled through lots of pain to get to 300. As a 47 year old who never played high school sports the bumps and bruises along the way are all part of the change of getting a middle aged body into a semi athletic one. I developed one bruise on my tricep by my shoulder after I yanked one too hard the very first week I started. My knee also went through a funky sorenesscphase as did the middle and lower part of my back. I also strained my neck a bit after one throw. My ankle also suffered for about 3 weeks getting used to throwing. I just kept battling though and now I feel loose and strong. I still get fatigued and sore in my joints when I throw too much but it's worth it to see positive results.

My new goal is to throw 325 for average with a max of 375-400 before snow flies.