Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 517
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 50 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
Huh? Who did I attack? Kenan?

I’m genuinely curious what I’ve missed about the course, because every review of his I’ve read of a course I’ve played has been spot on with my impression. He has way more experience than I do, so I respect the difference of opinion and wanted to point out that I may have just missed in my assessment.

But if that’s not coming through, maybe I need to edit the review.
I do not remember many of these issues at Middle creek when I played the but that has likely been 7 years ago or so. Could be a lot of additions to the park over the years.

I do remember a lot of left to right holes though so that definitely hasn’t changed haha.

Think my personal memory of that course I would rank. 2.5-3/5 so not too far off.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-12-2020, 10:28 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 175
Niced 2,627 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredoubles View Post
Update on this - I’m now hearing chatter that it really is Rock Creek becoming permanent, and that the wooded holes would be the first to receive teepads. If so, that’s great news! Depending on layout details from year to year, Rock Creek is often one of my favorite courses in the state.

I wonder how they’ll handle the walking paths and camping areas that interfere then.
Yeah, it'll be very interesting how they'll go about this. Thanks for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
When you’re writing reviews, you’d earn more respect by not attacking people by name in them. Keep the personal attacks to yourself, or at least out of there.
I don't think he's being too disrespectful or attacking there. If we're to take reviewing seriously, we can't be too thin skinned in regards to debate or disagreement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveThrower43 View Post
I do not remember many of these issues at Middle creek when I played the but that has likely been 7 years ago or so. Could be a lot of additions to the park over the years.

I do remember a lot of left to right holes though so that definitely hasn’t changed haha.

Think my personal memory of that course I would rank. 2.5-3/5 so not too far off.
Yeah it's been too many years since I've played there to really weigh in on this. I remember the course running along some parking lots and ball fields but nothing worse than usual like Springwood TPC.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 179
Niced 215 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
I played Middle Creek DGC down in Apex yesterday. I wrote up a review and while I was doing it, I was wondering why my impression was so different from others who have played there. I thought it was a little bit of a train-wreck given all of the other aspects of the multi-use park, but the average review is over 3.

Anyone else played there recently? Looking at the pictures, part of the issue is that the number of fields, sidewalks, etc. in the park have grown by a massive amount since the course went in, so maybe that explains it?
Yes, there are a lot of conflicts with other park users. It’s my least favorite aspect of that course by far.
That said, it’s not too hard to find times to play it that are more quiet. Also, there are still something like 14 other holes on the course that are tucked away in the woods, and don’t conflict with the rest of the park at all. And those holes are all quite good.
The conflicts are a drawback for sure, but not a fatal flaw, since they’re avoidable. I’d probably give the course something between a 3.0 and 3.5, around the current average I guess.

By the way, if there are bystanders on a hole and you don’t feel safe or confident throwing in their general direction, I’d encourage you to just skip the hole entirely, and move on. The risks just aren’t worth it. You can always revisit these holes later.

Also worth noting that I think the local club are redesigning some parts of this course, which may improve some of these issues. I don’t know the exact details of what they’re considering.

Nearby Jones Park is another course that suffers from similar issues, though it’s a bit better. I’m pretty sure there are reviews for both courses that address this, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise if you read up in advance.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by aredoubles; 08-12-2020 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Jones mention
Old 08-12-2020, 11:35 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 259 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Yes, there are a lot of conflicts with other park users. It’s my least favorite aspect of that course by far.
That said, it’s not too hard to find times to play it that are more quiet. Also, there are still something like 14 other holes on the course that are tucked away in the woods, and don’t conflict with the rest of the park at all. And those holes are all quite good.
If it really was just 4 holes, I would say I was off base in my assessment.

By my count 13 of the current 18 holes have one or more of the following problems:
- Throw immediately next to or over the road (0, 3, 17, 18)
- Tee area is on a sidewalk immediately next a busy main road (6)
- Tee area is on a sidewalk that is in the park getting heavy use by walkers, joggers, etc. (10, 15, 17, 18)
- Throw over/into the sidewalk or walker's path (8, 15, 18)
- Holes interfering with each other or the walk to the next tee (4/5,11/14,15/16)
- Throw blind into an occupied area of the park (8 long, which I did not throw, but could not see what the landing area was like until I got to the short tee and we had to ask people to move off the fairway).

It's also hard to overstate how absolutely packed the place was, including the course itself. I think it's likely going to be that way every evening and weekend, given the number of facilities there. You certainly weren't going to be skipping around to find holes that weren't busy.

I'm wondering when this park isn't in heavy use? Google seems to think Tuesday evenings are fairly typical traffic for the park.

Quote:
Also worth noting that I think the local club are redesigning some parts of this course, which may improve some of these issues. I don’t know the exact details of what they’re considering.
If they are redesigning the course in part to address the issues, that would tend to lend weight to the idea that these are actually issues, I would think?
Old 08-13-2020, 03:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 655 Times in 278 Posts

Castle Hayne Park in Wilmington closed for several weeks due hurricane damage and cleanup.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:17 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 205
Niced 270 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:

I believe the redesign by the local club, CADL, involves adding 9 more holes. 4 or 5 to the left of 2,3 and 4 and another 4 or 5 to the left of 7 (right of 8). Have not heard any talk of getting rid of any existing holes, so they are looking at having 27 holes there.

Hole 0 was added when 8 was out of commission for a redo of the soccer fields. I'm surprised to hear that people are hanging out on 8 fairway, to watch soccer practice/games. Hopefully thats not an everyday thing.

I could see that park being busy at certain times, you must have caught the perfect storm of interferences.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:36 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 259 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmay5 View Post
I believe the redesign by the local club, CADL, involves adding 9 more holes. 4 or 5 to the left of 2,3 and 4 and another 4 or 5 to the left of 7 (right of 8). Have not heard any talk of getting rid of any existing holes, so they are looking at having 27 holes there.

Hole 0 was added when 8 was out of commission for a redo of the soccer fields. I'm surprised to hear that people are hanging out on 8 fairway, to watch soccer practice/games. Hopefully thats not an everyday thing.

I could see that park being busy at certain times, you must have caught the perfect storm of interferences.
There were 4 people there watching practice and 2 more walkers came through on the sidewalk while we were were playing the hole. The sidewalk/exercise route pretty much guarantees that people are routed into the area of the green and fairway.

Really, the same issue exists on 15. We had to wait for a walker to climb the stairs before we teed off to that blind basket. I don’t know where he came from.

I may have to go out there again, to see what it looks like at other times.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 108 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
Castle Hayne Park in Wilmington closed for several weeks due hurricane damage and cleanup.
Is it really going to be that long? I gotta get some practice in for the azalea am! Where are people playing? haven't noticed any real extra traffic at the kb course
Old 08-13-2020, 06:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 655 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirepizza View Post
Is it really going to be that long? I gotta get some practice in for the azalea am! Where are people playing? haven't noticed any real extra traffic at the kb course
Actually not sure how strongly it is being enforced.
Went out for field practice on the baseball field and saw maybe a dozen people playing.
It’s a multi-use park, so the gates aren’t locked and only a strip of yellow caution tape across the entrance to the first tee.
So...

Old 08-13-2020, 09:58 PM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 175
Niced 2,627 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
There were 4 people there watching practice and 2 more walkers came through on the sidewalk while we were were playing the hole. The sidewalk/exercise route pretty much guarantees that people are routed into the area of the green and fairway.

Really, the same issue exists on 15. We had to wait for a walker to climb the stairs before we teed off to that blind basket. I don’t know where he came from.

I may have to go out there again, to see what it looks like at other times.
Keep in mind that the pandemic has generally increased the volume of park goers.