Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-26-2020, 07:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 117
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 910 Times in 423 Posts

I've never thrown Destroyers and maxed out around 350' when I was playing my best. So take this knowing that, and hear me out.

I wonder if a Champion Tern, max weight, might do the trick? Champs to me weren't flippy and I was only throwing ~165g. And if the Glow Champion is even more overstable as it apparently is in other discs, it might just work.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember Nikko throwing them a little a few years ago during his mixed bag time. Other, bigger armed players, might be able to address this option. It was just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2020, 08:17 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 281 Times in 129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Nobody knows. Anybody who says they do is lying. Destroyers have to be the most wildly inconsistent, but yet still popular, disc. Nobody has a destroyer that flies identical to anyone elses. Joys of innovas dgaf quality policy.
I agree that destroyers aren't super consistent. But I also doubt a lot of 12 speed drivers are.

I have a lot of destroyers that fly exactly like each other. I also have some that fly noticably different, but most do what you expect. If you're pushing 500ft, then yea, destroyers are probably inconsistent. But I think that would be true for most molds.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 979 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
I've never thrown Destroyers and maxed out around 350' when I was playing my best. So take this knowing that, and hear me out.

I wonder if a Champion Tern, max weight, might do the trick? Champs to me weren't flippy and I was only throwing ~165g. And if the Glow Champion is even more overstable as it apparently is in other discs, it might just work.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember Nikko throwing them a little a few years ago during his mixed bag time. Other, bigger armed players, might be able to address this option. It was just a thought.
If you're maxing out at 350' a heavy Tern should work fine. You'll get a little high speed turn out of it, but it shouldn't be flippy.

You won't get any turn out of a star Destroyer at 350'.

If you do end up getting a Destroyer, try a G* in the high 160s. Pretty mellow flight, and it'll turn a little.

The Tern will be longer though. More glide as well.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
I agree that destroyers aren't super consistent. But I also doubt a lot of 12 speed drivers are.

I have a lot of destroyers that fly exactly like each other. I also have some that fly noticably different, but most do what you expect. If you're pushing 500ft, then yea, destroyers are probably inconsistent. But I think that would be true for most molds.
I've thrown probably 40+ star Destroyers. For the most part they're fairly consistent. You have a basic idea of what you're getting there.

I've never seen a freakishly flippy star Destroyer in any weight. Even 150g star Destroyers will fly normally.

All the anomalies I've seen have been excessively overstable. Viciously so. A bad star Destroyer flies like a faster Firebird. No glide, and not even a hint of high speed turn.

A Destroyer that flies true to the numbers is a thing of beauty. A disc you can lean into and get some turn out of without it being flippy. The glide is important as well. I've found quite a few Destroyers that simply don't glide well.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:10 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 281 Times in 129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I've thrown probably 40+ star Destroyers. For the most part they're fairly consistent. You have a basic idea of what you're getting there.

I've never seen a freakishly flippy star Destroyer in any weight. Even 150g star Destroyers will fly normally.

All the anomalies I've seen have been excessively overstable. Viciously so. A bad star Destroyer flies like a faster Firebird. No glide, and not even a hint of high speed turn.

A Destroyer that flies true to the numbers is a thing of beauty. A disc you can lean into and get some turn out of without it being flippy. The glide is important as well. I've found quite a few Destroyers that simply don't glide well.
I've thrown around 80+ (almost all star) and I agree with you. I've only come across 1 or 2 that are freakishly flippy. But I also have a 155 destroyer that didn't turn at all out of the box. There are definitely anomalies, but if you have the arm to get decent turn out of a fresh max weight destroyer, then you will like the disc. Or any other disc like it, for that matter.

I've never seen a destroyer with no glide. No turn, sure, but they always seems to penetrate forward. I probably have a different definition of "glide" then most people though.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:01 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 43 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn View Post
I just throw them because they have the coolest name in disc golf. All the rest of the reasons don’t matter to me or 90% of the huckers out there. 😬
It really is an excellent name.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-27-2020, 03:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
I've thrown around 80+ (almost all star) and I agree with you. I've only come across 1 or 2 that are freakishly flippy. But I also have a 155 destroyer that didn't turn at all out of the box. There are definitely anomalies, but if you have the arm to get decent turn out of a fresh max weight destroyer, then you will like the disc. Or any other disc like it, for that matter.

I've never seen a destroyer with no glide. No turn, sure, but they always seems to penetrate forward. I probably have a different definition of "glide" then most people though.
I think the worst star Destroyer I've thrown was a Brinster splatter star, 175g. HORRIBLY overstable. This thing wouldn't even pretend to fly flat. No glide either. I don't think I could even get it out to 360'.

I've run into a couple similar McBeth ones. Flat, super overstable, and glideless.

Any time I see a flat, heavy star Destroyer I try to avoid it. You know you're going to get something that doesn't glide or turn there. All the best Destroyers I have are domey.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:06 PM
Par Member

Niced 55 Times in 43 Posts

You want to look for ones that are domey and have a less concave underwing. Less concave underwing makes them easier to flip to flat or turn, while the dome assures that when they turn, they'll glide more and not burn into the ground.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,585 Times in 792 Posts

Domey SP Hurricane

Old 08-28-2020, 01:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 14
Niced 55 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Domey SP Hurricane
I've tried Hurricanes and even the domier ones are basically Forces. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but just not really what I'm looking for...sadly as quickly as I bought them, they're going back up for sale.