Old 08-27-2020, 12:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 199
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 990 Times in 624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
sooo...when I asked this question, I'm thinking strategy for improving my outcome. Playing smarter. Playing within my skill set rather than swinging for the fences hoping for a great shot.
As far as game improvement, this part of the approach (and scramble) game is crucial. My philosophy, especially earlier in my development, was to aim for the ground by the basket from anywhere outside 45' or so, as opposed to running the basket. You want to improve your putting so you can be confident in 20' come back putts, but it's much nicer to have 10' drop ins for birdie or par in competitive rounds.

As far as getting up and down from any lie and around various obstacles, one of the biggest things is learning your discs on as many different lines as possible. When I am 150' from a hole, I have what feels like a gazillion options, from overhands, forehands, backhands, etc. that can hit all kinds of lines, high or low. I'm more comfortable with some discs and some shots, of course, but getting all those shots is crucial to have the confidence to get up and down from anywhere or handle tough lies, footing, etc.

Someone mentioned you already bomb forehands? If so, nice. Make sure to work on touch forehands with everything from a Teebird to Buzzz to Polecat. Forehand approaches are awesome, and having the ability to use a non-meathook disc (i.e. NOT a Zone or Harp or Firebird for every forehand approach) gives you the ability to hit more lines.

One tip in more obstructed or wooded holes is to aim for the largest FIRST gap. (Don't overthink it beyond that and then mess up your throw by hitting the first tree, branch, etc.) But pick a disc and throw type that hit the line you think has the best chance after that first gap.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice lol. Hope it helps someone.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2020, 02:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 17
Niced 281 Times in 142 Posts

Good question. I can only estimate based on some upshot practice where the goal is parking it, and I'd conservatively estimate I'm definitely not 90% down in two from further than 75 feet, and definitely 90% down in two from 50 feet, so somewhere between those. Those number decrease on the course, of course.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 432 Times in 213 Posts

Armiller exactly the conversation I was looking for.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-27-2020, 03:14 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
Good question. I can only estimate based on some upshot practice where the goal is parking it, and I'd conservatively estimate I'm definitely not 90% down in two from further than 75 feet, and definitely 90% down in two from 50 feet, so somewhere between those. Those number decrease on the course, of course.

You are probably more realistic than I am.

Strategy is what you do on the couch IMO. You want to have a plan before you get to the tee box.

I struggled with the same strategic thinking when I played ball golf. I was younger, much more athletic and flexible. I always thought in best case scenario rather than realistic and strategic.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-27-2020, 08:45 AM
Par Member

Niced 76 Times in 46 Posts

When people are saying they're automatic from 250'+ is that the sort of automatic where in a tournament when you don't land near the pin on one of those types of shots you get all upset and then card 3 bogeys in a row?

I wouldn't say there's any range I'm automatic yet, but I'm still a low MA3 level player. Sure inside about 100' or so I usually expect no matter what my lie looks like that I've got one more up shot and then a putt in. But sometimes that upshot goes too deep and I'm left with a 35-40' comeback putt and those aren't automatic. Or sometimes I don't make the gap and need a second upshot.

I would say the holes I birdie most frequently are the ones that are in the 225-275' mid-range area. 250' is really my sweet spot with a mid so if it's a bit shorter than take a pinch off, expecting to be a touch long. If its a bit longer add a touch more power and expect to be a hair short.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:02 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klodkrawler05 View Post
When people are saying they're automatic from 250'+ is that the sort of automatic where in a tournament when you don't land near the pin on one of those types of shots you get all upset and then card 3 bogeys in a row?
Good posts--I tried to frame the question/subject, but there's been a lot of good feedback highlighting that nothing is ever as simple as I tried to make it.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 381 Times in 177 Posts

If I walk up to something between about 175' - 250' that has room to aim right and let fade to the basket, I expect to get up and down. I'm pretty confident from about 125' in as well, but I've got that gap in the middle where I'm less confident.

Also, one thing that has helped me on shorter shots is to throw a faster disc a little lower and let it skip up to the basket. For instance, if I'm throwing 100 feet to a basket under a tree, I'm throwing a Roc. Less worries about getting knocked down by limbs, less chance of airmailing the basket by 30 feet.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:09 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 325 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
He prefaced that by saying in a flat field with no obstacles...

And I think he has posted videos here of him BOMBING forehands longer then 99% of discers even thought was possible.

For the record, I'm probably between 300-325, and my rating has hovered around 900 for my entire 3 year career. Open field hyzers are easy.
The hole I use to compare this type of shot is #3 at fountain hills. I think this year they added a mando, but previous years it did not. It is a 300 straight shot to the basket. Out of the entire open field in 2018, 76% got into C1 and 65% hit their birdie. So at 300, the open field at a DGPT event are NOT automatic up and down.

I would say open field hyzers are not as easy as you say.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 1,349 Times in 895 Posts

I'd say 200-220' I should be 9/10... 250' more like 7/10 optimistically.. Often when I practice I have three discs so 2/3 ain't bad.

The trick to my game is a straight to soft hyzer fade and drop, or a soft hyzer arc right at pin distance. A gentle sweep across that will park fairly close with good odds of hitting... kind of an Envy flight haha and Supreme confidence at 20'... if I go past I'm banging that putt.

Happyish at 25-26' and weirdly shaky at 30'-40.. But then better than I expect (4/10) at 45' -80'. So I expect to get any hole at 250'. Reality is with trees etc I should get -10 for 27 here (3 holes are unreachable but many in the 250' range).. I've carded -15 or 16 before, a while back.

Relay, Comet, Envy.. And the Ohm lately.. Why? Because the are a solid set of woods carving plastic.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:58 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 281 Times in 129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
The hole I use to compare this type of shot is #3 at fountain hills. I think this year they added a mando, but previous years it did not. It is a 300 straight shot to the basket. Out of the entire open field in 2018, 76% got into C1 and 65% hit their birdie. So at 300, the open field at a DGPT event are NOT automatic up and down.

I would say open field hyzers are not as easy as you say.
That's an elevated basket. And it's surrounded by OB, which could add a level of complexity to the shot, and could also change the shot type you choose. I have no idea if it was windy at that event.

Change it to a wide open 300 foot hole with a normal basket and no OB, I bet you see the scores change.