Old 09-20-2020, 12:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 691 Times in 328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Can you post some pictures, with another circular object (like a dinner plate) on the same surface for comparison?
Will take and post some tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2020, 12:51 AM
Size Queen

Niced 191 Times in 126 Posts

I would take a small pot (just smaller then a disc), add water and wait for it to boil. Grab a set of gloves as to not burn hands from steam. Set each disc individually on top of the pot of boiling water for a short period face up until it gets semi hot (5 seconds or so, maybe a bit more). Then knock it off and lay it face up on the counter as to not change the dome configuration. This should allow the disc to get hot enough to allow it to regain it's elastic memory and return to previous shape and not effect the dome. Yes I have done this many times. It works perfectly.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:23 AM
Eagle Member

Alright, here are some pictures. A little tough to capture on camera. It's most noticeable to me in the close up pictures of the edge.

Orange one is messed up. Pink TB is normal

Old 09-20-2020, 08:14 AM
Size Queen

Trust the old man. You'll be done in 5 minutes.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:16 PM
Eagle Member

Giving it a little heat has not been enough to restore the elastic memory. I tried the old man's trick and also tried leaving it in hot but not boiling water for a minute and reshaping by hand with limited success. Now I've got one I heated up sitting under a book to see if that works. So far I'm still sunk
Old 09-20-2020, 05:39 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,213 Times in 1,000 Posts

I had some F2 Champion Shark 3 176 grams pink that the nearly flat top that the normal production of the two Shark 3 I have are at. The plastic I set into a microwave for only 5 seconds each disc, then would set one disc on top of the other and press on the inside to concave the disc and repeat with the other disc and then keep switching for about 1 hour. Now at least the new Shark 3 that are micro dome bigger then production run is dome to flat top.

Thanks Dave D for making the Lion be the replacement for the Shark 3.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:28 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post
Giving it a little heat has not been enough to restore the elastic memory. I tried the old man's trick and also tried leaving it in hot but not boiling water for a minute and reshaping by hand with limited success. Now I've got one I heated up sitting under a book to see if that works. So far I'm still sunk
Leave it on the heat longer if it doesn't work with lower time. Wait till the plastic is hot to the touch! 5 seconds might not be enough to heat it up, I was just estimating. It might be 10-15. It won't melt from the steam but it may expand some but return to normal after cooling. The problem with using a book is you are flattening the dome which will change the flight. Maybe better, maybe worse. Depending on what you want.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:18 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Leave it on the heat longer if it doesn't work with lower time. Wait till the plastic is hot to the touch! 5 seconds might not be enough to heat it up, I was just estimating. It might be 10-15. It won't melt from the steam but it may expand some but return to normal after cooling. The problem with using a book is you are flattening the dome which will change the flight. Maybe better, maybe worse. Depending on what you want.
I'll have to give it another shot. It sounds like I'm not getting it hot enough. Even after sitting in very hot water for a minute it wasn't quite hot to the touch.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:45 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
I'll have to give it another shot. It sounds like I'm not getting it hot enough. Even after sitting in very hot water for a minute it wasn't quite hot to the touch.
Yeah it has to get hot, very hot! Otherwise you are not doing anything. Maybe even 20-25 seconds or over it. lol I never timed it but it does heat up to the touch on the dome sort of quick. You can see the dome expand some usually as it heats up.

Don't put a disc in the microwave, I tried that before and it melted.

Oven works OK (180 degree), but it takes a lot longer. Boiling water is the quickest and safest I think. Or should I say steam from the pot. I think the melting temp must be much higher then 220. I would guess 300+.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:20 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
So I went closer to 25-30 seconds. The flight plate does get hot and expands like you said, and then cools back down and finds its shape. Great for warped discs for sure. Unfortunately, it's the rim that I'm having trouble getting to change shape. The rim is a lot thicker than the flight plate and takes more energy to heat up. The rim is where my problems are . I'm still not getting the discs back to circular. I have seen a little improvement just heating them up and letting them cool, but not back to where they were yet. Steam does work very well as a means to heat the disc up, so thank you for that suggestion. I'll keep playing with finding the heating point where the disc is malleable but not melting.

Niced: (1)