Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the direction of DG?
Drastic changes are needed like smaller or chainless baskets 5 4.35%
Current growth indicates we are on the right path 110 95.65%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2020, 07:10 PM
Size Queen

Niced 177 Times in 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
Is this your new favorite retort? Can't come up with a sound, logical response, so you use a reply from the 90's?

Obviously not the same thing as you. Meth will make you stupid faster than you can say "smaller baskets." Perhaps you should consider giving it up.
McBeth is on meth now?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2020, 07:17 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinbuttree View Post
Yes, basket size is clearly the issue here.

You didn't include the other stats--how many bogies, doubles, etc? Just saying no birdies tells us nothing really.

There are many threads which discuss score separation and metrics for measuring them. A high scoring variance on a hole can mean a poorly designed hole with nothing but luck. Or a very well designed hole. Hole 8 (the large water carry) at Maple Hill saw aces and triple bogies...from very top pros. Pretty clear risk reward in going for a placement allowing an easier birdie look. I call that a good hole. Hole 14 at Maple Hill is the same way--high risk reward. I could also design a hole with a 10' wide fairway with lots of trees in the fairway that was 1000' foot long with OB rope on both sides the whole way. This would have an incredibly high scoring variance...but it would be a horrible hole.

Just because something increases scores OR scoring variance does not mean it is a good thing.
High scoring separation doesn't automatically mean it's a good hole. For sure. What I am pointing to is how flat out lucky the specific holes are. If the hole is 360 feet through a wall of trees, yields ZERO-6 birdies out of two rounds of open DGPT play, then I would say it's lucky or simply a bad hole. Of course it's lucky, because if the most skilled players cannot birdie it with any regularity at all then it has to be luck.

But I will argue that the consequences of easy putting make these holes seem reasonable to course designers. They can't have players landing inside circle 1-2 too often so it's a very fine line between a luckfest or too easy. A smaller basket would ALLOW course designers to create fairer lanes as landing inside circle 1-2 more often isn't as costly to making the hole too easy.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-26-2020, 07:18 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
you're right, paul mcbeth has been robbed for years of being great because of these baskets. Its really kept him from winning because of the luck factor...are we watching the same sport?
He wins sure, but could win even more if courses were not as tricked up to favor non-skilled play.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-26-2020, 07:18 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 711
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,666 Times in 1,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
58 seconds in.

I'm Paul McBeth.
Note that even Discraft does not yet produce a narrow chain basket. I believe DGA still makes most of the baskets for Discraft. So maybe Foundation will put their money into their narrow concept and get skinny Foundation brand baskets made by using the narrow chain top of a Mach Shift basket mounted above a Chainstar Pro basket tray.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:24 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
The data so far says no.

Maybe you should switch to wanting larger baskets.
That course from my memory was mostly open and did I read that right that the poorer the player they shot better rounds on the marksman baskets? You don't think that trend is possibly able to continue right? Because I have putting stats up the wazoo from marksman leagues and poorer putter do putt worse on marksmans and do so constantly.

The main point of a smaller basket is to make open holes more difficult so we don't have to add artificial OB or ropes or raise the baskets. That is the difference I would like to see tested. Not only that course designers can actually cut down a tree or two for a fairway.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,968 Times in 858 Posts

At this rate, you'll get your post count to Ace member by November, just like you did last time.

No worries though, few will take you serious this time either.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 49
Niced 168 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
He wins sure, but could win even more if courses were not as tricked up to favor non-skilled play.
So what you're saying is that when let's say... Kevin Jones... beats Paul McBeth, it wasn't skill. It was luck because the course design is bad and that even though they played the exact same layout, Paul was punished more because overall he is the better player?

Last edited by Billyray; 09-26-2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:36 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
So what you're saying is that when let's say Kevin Jones beats Paul McBeth, it wasn't skill. It was luck because the course design is bad.....wow
Don't put words in my mouth. Did I say that? I said with LESS luck the person who PLAYED the best would win a higher percentage of the time. I never said the best player would win every week. Since McBeth is the best player a less lucky layout would result with him winning MORE OFTEN. Are you trolling?
Old 09-26-2020, 07:37 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
At this rate, you'll get your post count to Ace member by November, just like you did last time.

No worries though, few will take you serious this time either.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 5,204 Times in 2,175 Posts

Quote:
There is your hot sauce boy.
More like mild sauce grandpa.