Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 10-04-2020, 05:12 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 211 Times in 115 Posts

Depends on the distance, but I can get a fresh MJ tour series Z Comet out to about 300ft on a hyzerflip lazer.
If I need more distance, then a Glow Shryke is my go-to.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2020, 05:18 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 179 Times in 106 Posts

Sooo... I got a free $10 dick’s coupon. Went hoping for a Teebird, a TL... something. But, they had lots of Aviars, Destroyers, a couple Shrykes (that overlap with Captains), a bunch of Sharks, few Corvettes and Deadalaus. I ended up trying to decided between a VERY high PLH Champ Valkyrie or a DX Beast that seemed most similar to the Escape. That Valk looked like it had been run over by a semi truck. I walked out with an absolutely free DX Beast.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:30 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 381 Times in 177 Posts

I've been bagging DX Beasts for a while. For me, they start out straight to fade, then beat directly into an S curve. They don't fill the slot you posted about at all, but hopefully you still love it.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:36 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I've been bagging DX Beasts for a while. For me, they start out straight to fade, then beat directly into an S curve. They don't fill the slot you posted about at all, but hopefully you still love it.
First shot with this Beast (on the hole I used to use the Escape) it flipped to flat, went straight with a slight continued turn into the trees. Shot was almost good. But, it was free. I’m going to watch the used market for a Teebird, pick up an FD, or keep beating the Eagle-L.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:07 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 381 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
First shot with this Beast (on the hole I used to use the Escape) it flipped to flat, went straight with a slight continued turn into the trees. Shot was almost good. But, it was free. I’m going to watch the used market for a Teebird, pick up an FD, or keep beating the Eagle-L.
Mine can really get away from me to the right depending on wind and/or release, but I love it. It opened up the possibility of birdie on one of my regular holes and it significantly increased my chance at par on another wooded hole that requires me to really turn the disc to hit my gap in the woods, push forward enough to get out of the woods, and finishes left enough to give me a straight forward approach shot.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:11 AM
Par Member

Niced 76 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Will FD turn over? Or, maybe I should ask which plastic will still flip up, but not turn over?
C-line will flip up but not turn over, On my absolute best throws I can get the FD out to around 300-320' but more often I'm in the 280' range.

A friend from league has thrown mine a few times in the field and can push them out to about 350-360' without turning over, just a very slight/slow drift right before hyzering back.

Per udisc 160 rounds later in some fairly wooded courses and it still flies very nearly like the brand new one I got last week.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:13 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klodkrawler05 View Post
C-line will flip up but not turn over, On my absolute best throws I can get the FD out to around 300-320' but more often I'm in the 280' range.

A friend from league has thrown mine a few times in the field and can push them out to about 350-360' without turning over, just a very slight/slow drift right before hyzering back.

Per udisc 160 rounds later in some fairly wooded courses and it still flies very nearly like the brand new one I got last week.
Very helpful, thanks!
Old 10-05-2020, 10:41 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
Depends on the distance, but I can get a fresh MJ tour series Z Comet out to about 300ft on a hyzerflip lazer.
If I need more distance, then a Glow Shryke is my go-to.
I cannot figure out the Comet. I can use it for upshots where I barely throw it with any power (usually sails over the basket), but when I try to power up I can’t hit a line. This is a disc I really want to like.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:39 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 211 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
I cannot figure out the Comet. I can use it for upshots where I barely throw it with any power (usually sails over the basket), but when I try to power up I can’t hit a line. This is a disc I really want to like.
It can be tricky, but it will teach you good form and expose flaws REAL fast.
I suggest picking up a MJ Tour Series Comet, which are the most "stable" ones I've thrown. I can throw it full power on a slight hyzer and it will handle the torque really well. Depending on the angle of release, it can go lazer strait for days, or do the prettiest slow turn that feels like it's in the air for days... They don't really like wind, however. But the MJ ones are money.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 335
Niced 636 Times in 308 Posts

side thought

if you have a disc you like for a particular slot but a new one needs to beat in to get there... get a lighter one. it's easier than learning a new mold and it will get to the sweet spot faster.