Old 10-06-2020, 01:35 PM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
On the other hand, it sucks a lot more to lose a perfectly seasoned Roc than it does a Buzzz, available locally in whatever flavor you prefer.
That's the downfall for sure. At least a dx roc takes approximately 2 tree hits to be a straight flyer. Not perfectly seasoned though.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-06-2020, 06:54 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,198 Times in 991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5 View Post
That's the downfall for sure. At least a dx roc takes approximately 2 tree hits to be a straight flyer. Not perfectly seasoned though.
Depends on what seasoning you want for a ROC. The Buzz also comes in production run in almost every plastic Discraft makes for production run stuff except Soft Pro D, Soft X, and Jawbreaker.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:08 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,675 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Surprised this thread made it so far without much huffing and puffing. Dedicated roc throwers are the most insufferably opinionated disc golfers I've met. You know, the roc is the ONLY midrange to throw. And certain shots can only be made by this one particular run of impossible to find, stupidly expensive rocs that are simply THE choice. Blah blah blah.

The Gateway Prophecy and the Westside Bard both gave me a warm fuzzy "if I didn't have a basement full of Rocs this would be a cool disc" feeling. The Bard is closer in hand feel if that matters. The Wasp is limited in a cycle by only being available in Z, but it's a really good Roc copy as well.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post

The Gateway Prophecy and the Westside Bard both gave me a warm fuzzy "if I didn't have a basement full of Rocs this would be a cool disc" feeling. The Bard is closer in hand feel if that matters. The Wasp is limited in a cycle by only being available in Z, but it's a really good Roc copy as well.
The Wasp I have felt since being made was a mold that Discraft said Lets make a ROC but not as skinny a wing to, 1. not get sued and 2. to have a more comfortable ROC as we asked former Innova players now on our team what the most uncomfortable thing is about the ROC or those on the design team used a ROC themselves. Only after 2005 in production run did Discraft hamper the abilty to cycle the Wasp, before that when D was name changed to Pro D and was uber stiff the Wasp was made in Pro D in a lower volume then Z, after the Pro D became softer the plastic was dropped for the Wasp.

The Comet in 1990's I feel was supposed to be a worn in to the spot they were seeing most players wanting the ROC flight using the average Shark/Stingray dome style of ROC when the mold was made by Discraft in the early to mid 1990's. I mean the mold is a closer in feel to a ROC wing then what a Wasp is that was made in later.

I do feel that with Discraft discs, one more in terms of flight, the other more in wing feel, a Wasp/Comet combo is not a bad way to go and you get a worked in ROC disc that one can have a few different subtle stability variants in using the different plastics the mold is made in from X to Z/Z glow and a few mid stability plastics in between. Even more so if they can find runs of the ESP made flatter like a lower average DX/KC Pro ROC domed disc.

I say if the player is not wanting a single mold for the ROC, go the Wasp/Comet combo.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:59 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 211 Times in 115 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The Wasp I have felt since being made was a mold that Discraft said Lets make a ROC but not as skinny a wing to, 1. not get sued and 2. to have a more comfortable ROC as we asked former Innova players now on our team what the most uncomfortable thing is about the ROC or those on the design team used a ROC themselves. Only after 2005 in production run did Discraft hamper the abilty to cycle the Wasp, before that when D was name changed to Pro D and was uber stiff the Wasp was made in Pro D in a lower volume then Z, after the Pro D became softer the plastic was dropped for the Wasp.

The Comet in 1990's I feel was supposed to be a worn in to the spot they were seeing most players wanting the ROC flight using the average Shark/Stingray dome style of ROC when the mold was made by Discraft in the early to mid 1990's. I mean the mold is a closer in feel to a ROC wing then what a Wasp is that was made in later.

I do feel that with Discraft discs, one more in terms of flight, the other more in wing feel, a Wasp/Comet combo is not a bad way to go and you get a worked in ROC disc that one can have a few different subtle stability variants in using the different plastics the mold is made in from X to Z/Z glow and a few mid stability plastics in between. Even more so if they can find runs of the ESP made flatter like a lower average DX/KC Pro ROC domed disc.

I say if the player is not wanting a single mold for the ROC, go the Wasp/Comet combo.
On point. Just have a look at my signature

Old 10-07-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
On point. Just have a look at my signature
Yep the Wasp Comet combo is going to work and you get a mold that is a better feeling ROC for the OS shots and a more ROC like disc for US where one does not need to put as much on the ROC like wing so the comfort of a Wasp is not needed.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,529 Times in 709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Surprised this thread made it so far without much huffing and puffing. Dedicated roc throwers are the most insufferably opinionated disc golfers I've met. You know, the roc is the ONLY midrange to throw. And certain shots can only be made by this one particular run of impossible to find, stupidly expensive rocs that are simply THE choice. Blah blah blah.

Sounds like someone can't throw a Roc.

Don't worry buddy, you'll get better someday.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post

Maybe the wing is too uncomfortable for the person to how OS and power the shape needs, this is my main reason why I can't throw a ROC/3 either, they almost hurt the hand getting ripped out during the power throw the mold needs. I know I can throw OS discs like the ROC OS, having used a Commander in tests, just the flight is not great for the Commander almost having to make a shot for the disc so you have a spot in the bag for a disc that does the S shot backwards then hooks hard out to the left almost being a double S shot disc.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:01 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 176 Times in 103 Posts

If you want to keep the stability, try a Verdict. It’s heck-a-stable, very similar feel to the EMac truth. It’s not a glidey straight-to-fade Roc, but it’s a super comfortable, stable mid. I use the Chris Clemons Lucid-X. I have a lucid Truth, a very beat up prime burst eMac Truth. I really used the eMac truth. That’s a great disc.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,433 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Maybe the wing is too uncomfortable for the person to how OS and power the shape needs, this is my main reason why I can't throw a ROC/3 either, they almost hurt the hand getting ripped out during the power throw the mold needs. I know I can throw OS discs like the ROC OS, having used a Commander in tests, just the flight is not great for the Commander almost having to make a shot for the disc so you have a spot in the bag for a disc that does the S shot backwards then hooks hard out to the left almost being a double S shot disc.
Or. Maybe somebody just sees past all the hype and sees it for what it is. Just another piece of plastic. If it had never been released till this year, would it garner the love that it has? Not remotely. It's not THAT special. Sorry to burst your bubble fellas.

Admittedly- a lot of my distaste comes not from the disc itself, but other circumstances. It is a fine mid, one that I could bag of I needed to. But, special? Apparently not to me.