#51  
Old 10-06-2020, 01:35 PM
red5 red5 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 20
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
On the other hand, it sucks a lot more to lose a perfectly seasoned Roc than it does a Buzzz, available locally in whatever flavor you prefer.
That's the downfall for sure. At least a dx roc takes approximately 2 tree hits to be a straight flyer. Not perfectly seasoned though.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-06-2020, 06:54 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,094
Niced 1,198 Times in 991 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5 View Post
That's the downfall for sure. At least a dx roc takes approximately 2 tree hits to be a straight flyer. Not perfectly seasoned though.
Depends on what seasoning you want for a ROC. The Buzz also comes in production run in almost every plastic Discraft makes for production run stuff except Soft Pro D, Soft X, and Jawbreaker.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-06-2020, 10:08 PM
Three Putt's Avatar
Three Putt Three Putt is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rolla, MO.
Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,931
Niced 3,675 Times in 1,331 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Surprised this thread made it so far without much huffing and puffing. Dedicated roc throwers are the most insufferably opinionated disc golfers I've met. You know, the roc is the ONLY midrange to throw. And certain shots can only be made by this one particular run of impossible to find, stupidly expensive rocs that are simply THE choice. Blah blah blah.


The Gateway Prophecy and the Westside Bard both gave me a warm fuzzy "if I didn't have a basement full of Rocs this would be a cool disc" feeling. The Bard is closer in hand feel if that matters. The Wasp is limited in a cycle by only being available in Z, but it's a really good Roc copy as well.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-07-2020, 02:04 AM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,094
Niced 1,198 Times in 991 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post


The Gateway Prophecy and the Westside Bard both gave me a warm fuzzy "if I didn't have a basement full of Rocs this would be a cool disc" feeling. The Bard is closer in hand feel if that matters. The Wasp is limited in a cycle by only being available in Z, but it's a really good Roc copy as well.
The Wasp I have felt since being made was a mold that Discraft said Lets make a ROC but not as skinny a wing to, 1. not get sued and 2. to have a more comfortable ROC as we asked former Innova players now on our team what the most uncomfortable thing is about the ROC or those on the design team used a ROC themselves. Only after 2005 in production run did Discraft hamper the abilty to cycle the Wasp, before that when D was name changed to Pro D and was uber stiff the Wasp was made in Pro D in a lower volume then Z, after the Pro D became softer the plastic was dropped for the Wasp.

The Comet in 1990's I feel was supposed to be a worn in to the spot they were seeing most players wanting the ROC flight using the average Shark/Stingray dome style of ROC when the mold was made by Discraft in the early to mid 1990's. I mean the mold is a closer in feel to a ROC wing then what a Wasp is that was made in later.

I do feel that with Discraft discs, one more in terms of flight, the other more in wing feel, a Wasp/Comet combo is not a bad way to go and you get a worked in ROC disc that one can have a few different subtle stability variants in using the different plastics the mold is made in from X to Z/Z glow and a few mid stability plastics in between. Even more so if they can find runs of the ESP made flatter like a lower average DX/KC Pro ROC domed disc.

I say if the player is not wanting a single mold for the ROC, go the Wasp/Comet combo.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-07-2020, 03:59 AM
MaxFlight MaxFlight is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 366
Niced 211 Times in 115 Posts
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The Wasp I have felt since being made was a mold that Discraft said Lets make a ROC but not as skinny a wing to, 1. not get sued and 2. to have a more comfortable ROC as we asked former Innova players now on our team what the most uncomfortable thing is about the ROC or those on the design team used a ROC themselves. Only after 2005 in production run did Discraft hamper the abilty to cycle the Wasp, before that when D was name changed to Pro D and was uber stiff the Wasp was made in Pro D in a lower volume then Z, after the Pro D became softer the plastic was dropped for the Wasp.

The Comet in 1990's I feel was supposed to be a worn in to the spot they were seeing most players wanting the ROC flight using the average Shark/Stingray dome style of ROC when the mold was made by Discraft in the early to mid 1990's. I mean the mold is a closer in feel to a ROC wing then what a Wasp is that was made in later.

I do feel that with Discraft discs, one more in terms of flight, the other more in wing feel, a Wasp/Comet combo is not a bad way to go and you get a worked in ROC disc that one can have a few different subtle stability variants in using the different plastics the mold is made in from X to Z/Z glow and a few mid stability plastics in between. Even more so if they can find runs of the ESP made flatter like a lower average DX/KC Pro ROC domed disc.

I say if the player is not wanting a single mold for the ROC, go the Wasp/Comet combo.
On point. Just have a look at my signature

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-07-2020, 09:56 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,094
Niced 1,198 Times in 991 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
On point. Just have a look at my signature
Yep the Wasp Comet combo is going to work and you get a mold that is a better feeling ROC for the OS shots and a more ROC like disc for US where one does not need to put as much on the ROC like wing so the comfort of a Wasp is not needed.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-10-2020, 12:27 AM
DanJon DanJon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,433
Niced 1,529 Times in 709 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Surprised this thread made it so far without much huffing and puffing. Dedicated roc throwers are the most insufferably opinionated disc golfers I've met. You know, the roc is the ONLY midrange to throw. And certain shots can only be made by this one particular run of impossible to find, stupidly expensive rocs that are simply THE choice. Blah blah blah.


Sounds like someone can't throw a Roc.

Don't worry buddy, you'll get better someday.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-10-2020, 06:22 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,094
Niced 1,198 Times in 991 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Sounds like someone can't throw a Roc.

Don't worry buddy, you'll get better someday.
Maybe the wing is too uncomfortable for the person to how OS and power the shape needs, this is my main reason why I can't throw a ROC/3 either, they almost hurt the hand getting ripped out during the power throw the mold needs. I know I can throw OS discs like the ROC OS, having used a Commander in tests, just the flight is not great for the Commander almost having to make a shot for the disc so you have a spot in the bag for a disc that does the S shot backwards then hooks hard out to the left almost being a double S shot disc.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-10-2020, 07:01 PM
seedlings's Avatar
seedlings seedlings is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northwest Missouri
Posts: 414
Niced 176 Times in 103 Posts
Default

If you want to keep the stability, try a Verdict. It’s heck-a-stable, very similar feel to the EMac truth. It’s not a glidey straight-to-fade Roc, but it’s a super comfortable, stable mid. I use the Chris Clemons Lucid-X. I have a lucid Truth, a very beat up prime burst eMac Truth. I really used the eMac truth. That’s a great disc.
Reply With Quote
 

  #60  
Old 10-12-2020, 10:02 AM
jakebake91 jakebake91 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: West Central Wisconsin
Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,894
Niced 1,433 Times in 711 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Sounds like someone can't throw a Roc.

Don't worry buddy, you'll get better someday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Maybe the wing is too uncomfortable for the person to how OS and power the shape needs, this is my main reason why I can't throw a ROC/3 either, they almost hurt the hand getting ripped out during the power throw the mold needs. I know I can throw OS discs like the ROC OS, having used a Commander in tests, just the flight is not great for the Commander almost having to make a shot for the disc so you have a spot in the bag for a disc that does the S shot backwards then hooks hard out to the left almost being a double S shot disc.
Or. Maybe somebody just sees past all the hype and sees it for what it is. Just another piece of plastic. If it had never been released till this year, would it garner the love that it has? Not remotely. It's not THAT special. Sorry to burst your bubble fellas.



Admittedly- a lot of my distaste comes not from the disc itself, but other circumstances. It is a fine mid, one that I could bag of I needed to. But, special? Apparently not to me.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
11x KC Roc, 0x KC Roc, Champion Rancho Roc, Pearly ORCS, Champ SM BB Aviar, PFN Eagle mgamache8 The Marketplace 3 10-20-2016 09:57 PM
Flat Top Roc replacement disc? 1point Discs 26 10-22-2015 01:59 AM
Beat in DX/KC Pro Roc replacement- 2014 Edition OB Four Discs 48 11-18-2014 01:19 PM
Out-of-the-box understable roc replacement gorbanouski Discs 48 07-31-2013 11:08 PM
straight roc replacement brian j Discs 18 06-08-2012 11:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.