Old 10-08-2020, 03:18 AM

Niced 6 Times in 1 Post
Default DX ...then which plastic

Been playing since spring and by now...some my DX discs are pretty beat up...any advice on which plastic to try next..I like throwing the dx...and have thrown a few champions...which i found overstable..not much glide.. and dumped hard....so which should I try ..gstar...star...or pro...champion
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2020, 04:35 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 211 Times in 115 Posts

There are more companies than just Innova with great plastic blends, but if you like Innova molds then I’d recommend Star. New Pro plastic is pretty close to Star, but doesn’t hold the flight characteristics as long.
Star will be a bit more overstable at first, but you will get the hang of it, and it will also beat in to a great spot and stay there for a long time.
You can also try less stable molds in premium plastics, which might fly better for you.

Discraft Big Z is a great way to go. Doesn’t wear in crazy fast, good grip and doesn’t increase the stability a whole lot.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:48 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 380 Times in 176 Posts

I've thrown a lot of different brands and plastics and I've sort of circled back to DX. I realized that I was bagging all this Discraft Z plastic and ESP plastic and Dismania C Line plastic and Champion plastic and so forth, but when I really wanted to place I shot, I was always reaching towards the couple of DX discs in my bag. So now I tend to look for more stable discs in DX plastic. So if you like DX plastic, cycling discs is an option.

Another plastic that seems to be really familiar and comfortable and reliable for me in the Discraft Elite X blend. I guess it is comparable to the Pro plastic that Innova uses, but it is a little firmer and less tacky, so it is an easy transition from DX.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,968 Times in 858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebateam View Post
Been playing since spring and by now...some my DX discs are pretty beat up...any advice on which plastic to try next..I like throwing the dx...and have thrown a few champions...which i found overstable..not much glide.. and dumped hard....so which should I try ..gstar...star...or pro...champion
What discs are you throwing? That info will help.

Good step up Innova plastics;
Any of the mid and putter pro plastics. KC, JK, Yeti, XT and the like
For drivers, Pro and G-Star.

Star and Champion are going to fly more stable, but once they beat in will hold their flight characteristics for a long time. But they don't beat in quick, like take years if you're an average player.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:33 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 451 Times in 277 Posts

I mostly bag DX as I like the way most of them beat in (and I'm cheap!). if it's not DX it's usually star.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:11 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 196 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebateam View Post
^these are all good recommendations.

I've retired some base plastic discs because I thought they were getting too beat up. I moved on to Champ/Gstar/Esp/Star type plastics. I've recently been throwing retired discs to my dog and they've actually been throwing quite nicely -even my pro d undertaker with a crease in the flight plate. Don't give up on those beat up discs. As you improve you may find you like them.

Gstar is nice in drivers but I absolutely hate it in Mids. I've recently picked up some Plasma discs from MVP/Axiom that I'm liking.

Here is a nice database for plastics. It can help compare similar plastics from different companies
https://flightcharts.dgputtheads.com...578.1600949162

Niced: (3)
Old 10-08-2020, 06:20 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 167 Times in 114 Posts

If you want to stick with Innova, I’d say Gstar for drivers and Champion for mids.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-08-2020, 07:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 625 Times in 410 Posts

If you like flexy, GStar is great. Otherwise, Star is my all time favorite plastic.

Outside of Innova, Biofuzion is pretty nice and won't be too overstable.

Actually, if you like current DX, you owe it to yourself to try something in Suregrip from Gateway - best "base" plastic there is.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:08 PM

Years Playing: 4.5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 22 Times in 14 Posts

You can stick with DX/KC pro for anything mids speed or lower, it wears in surprisingly slowly, especially with the stiffer dx in recent runs of Rocs, and the good baseline plastics of Trilogy/etc.. Avoid Discraft pro-D. That stuff is yuck.

For fairways and drivers, Pro plastic is great for stable (straight) and understable discs. G-Star will give you a little more durability, but I don't find it worth the price difference, and I like the feel of driver pro better. Pro has lots of glide, and is fairly resistant to wear. The amount of time it takes to truly beat in is overstated, it just starts out a touch less stable. For overstable discs (firebirds, etc.), champion or star equivalent is the way to go. They'll stay the way they fly off the shelf basically forever for your average player.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 360 Times in 223 Posts

With temperature cooling off, you might want to reconsider switching from DX until spring - this is the time of year I start putting them back in the bag. Cold fingers appreciate that grip.

Niced: (2)