Old 10-13-2020, 09:28 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 27.5
Courses Played: 143
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,212 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
I do not think the 40 Age protected divisions should have rating cap maybe one to play the age group down but that they need to have intermediate and advanced for the age protected divisions with the ones under the max age group having a beginner/rec combo as well. The youth under 18 age divisions should have a rating cap for the age group, that is the lower end of the non age division groups if they could fall under the Rec-Am 1 divisions as one of the max ratings for a youth age divisions.
The solution absolutely should not be more divisions, IMHO.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-13-2020, 06:10 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,198 Times in 991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
The solution absolutely should not be more divisions, IMHO.
No but moving the players to the right divisions, This would work and then only at big enough events have the Different ages have the Intermediate group that is only for those under the level to play the masters level at Am. These big events would be the Rather big ones, (rare for now) that have the need for such divisions as the players would get creamed in upper levels of the master as well as in the open Am Intermediate. Keep the master beginner if they want to play intermediate in the age group they are or the Beginner group.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 10-13-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:17 PM

Rule I would wish for, All players Must have a Mini playing in a PDGA event if they use only one disc. Too many times I have seen a player that uses one driver or midrange and they do not have a mini to mark not want to use a mini.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-13-2020, 06:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 280 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Rule I would wish for, All players Must have a Mini playing in a PDGA event if they use only one disc. Too many times I have seen a player that uses one driver or midrange and they do not have a mini to mark not want to use a mini.
When I have a player on my card without a mini, I let them know the rules about marking a disc (politely), then I offer them to use one of my extra minis. I carry about 6 of them and they aren't important to me (just in case it doesn't get returned).

Old 10-14-2020, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
When I have a player on my card without a mini, I let them know the rules about marking a disc (politely), then I offer them to use one of my extra minis. I carry about 6 of them and they aren't important to me (just in case it doesn't get returned).
I do too and when I played PDGA tournaments more I had a few now gone but then a good number about 1/2 still refuse to use a mini if they only have one disc or they want to flip the old disc over of they have more then one or two disc. It is Fine if just playing casual or even league for the flip over is fine as long as they are marking the lie in league some obvious way but playing when not marking with a mini or just using the disc on ground as is for PDGA Tournaments is just odd to me as it violates the rules. Why is it so hard to get some to use a mini or let the disc sit? Also very obvious some that pick up the disc and not marking are stepping like ~3 feet in front of where even a mini would sit with front foot.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 7
Niced 280 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
I do too and when I played PDGA tournaments more I had a few now gone but then a good number about 1/2 still refuse to use a mini if they only have one disc or they want to flip the old disc over of they have more then one or two disc. It is Fine if just playing casual or even league for the flip over is fine as long as they are marking the lie in league some obvious way but playing when not marking with a mini or just using the disc on ground as is for PDGA Tournaments is just odd to me as it violates the rules. Why is it so hard to get some to use a mini or let the disc sit? Also very obvious some that pick up the disc and not marking are stepping like ~3 feet in front of where even a mini would sit with front foot.
And flipping a disc can get extra inches. I caught someone flipping a disc forward (intentionally). When they flip a disc it can be difficult to prove where the disc (and therefore the spot) was before it was flipped.

As for the rules.....I have found there are many players that don't care about the rules.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:38 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 427
Niced 2,294 Times in 1,093 Posts

Quote:
...Why is it so hard to get some to use a mini or let the disc sit?...
Most players "learn" the rules by copying the patterns of those they play with. If they've only played non-sanctioned before, it's possible they think flipping the disc is the thing to do before you make a throw. Perhaps their theory is that it signals the others players when they are ready to throw.

Now some stranger comes along talking about "marking" and "mini" and "use the thrown disc as a marker" - things no one else has ever mentioned, and they're supposed to believe you are right? Why should they switch from doing something that's never gotten them a penalty to something new and strange which - for all they know - could get them DQed?

Yeah, it can be hard, but educating them is doing them a favor and they'll feel more confident as a player when they know that they know the rules, and aren't just faking it anymore.

Old 10-14-2020, 01:23 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 711
Niced 2,655 Times in 1,115 Posts

Even less intuitive is telling them that their lie is like a piece of paper 20cm x 30cm behind their circular marker...

Old 10-14-2020, 03:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 43.5
Courses Played: 251
Niced 132 Times in 85 Posts

Just trying to catch up on reading some of the most recent posts, so forgive me if I bring up something that died a while back.

The main rule I would like to see added is that EVERYONE must read the rule books (Rule & Competition Manual). Period.
I've encountered so many players over the years who have absolutely no clue as to what the rules are. Their knowledge of the rules is usually from what someone else told them, not what they had read for themselves. All participants in a tournament paid to be there, so everyone there should be following the same rules. And as someone said earlier, most players don't really give a rats a$$ about the rules. As one card mate at State championship a few years back declared on our 1st hole, "I'm here to have fun."
I'm just sayin'. Know the rules. Don't treat tournaments as just another casual round. And that's not to say one can't have fun, but.....

Oh & jump/step putts? Yeah, let's do away with those.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:57 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.5
Courses Played: 427
Niced 2,294 Times in 1,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Even less intuitive is telling them that their lie is like a piece of paper 20cm x 30cm behind their circular marker...
Even less intuitive was telling them that their lie was a 30cm line of no thickness behind their circular marker...