Old 10-13-2020, 12:10 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 47
Niced 129 Times in 93 Posts

I talked to my Parks Director about getting another course where I'm at and he told me to make a topographical map of the course. I plan on mapping out a potential course and submitting it.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2020, 01:13 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Nice man, I'm really curious to see who submits what to the contest. I'm sure they'll release some of the cool ideas people present!
Old 10-13-2020, 02:24 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 211 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
Udisc shows a new course in Blaine, WA
Yep, that's over the border... Would rather not have to cross the border to play. Not even possible right now in Covid times....
Would be easier to just drive the 40mins to a closer local course.

I'm not looking for work-arounds.... I want to get a new course built!

Niced: (2)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:26 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 211 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
One of the pitches I used 20 years ago when I helped to get a couple of courses put in was to tout the benefits a Disc Golf course will bring for the whole recreation experience and for the well-being of the park. For starters, 72 people can experience recreation on an 18-hole course much more inexpensively than lots of other options. I used tennis. One court is more expensive than a DG course but only 4 can participate, for example.

Secondly, it increases foot traffic in back areas of parks where illicit activity can no longer hide from view.

A third point that exists now that didn't in 1999 is how this sport has blown up in popularity. I had to convince people back then how this wasn't a fad. Today there are ten times as many people playing DG according to PDGA memberships! But I did have data on my side that showed good growth every year since baskets first went in the ground in the mid-1970's.

Don't forget to explain why the sport is gaining such popularity. It's an awesome sport unlike any other. We get to choose differing projectiles based on the need before us. Only fishing comes to mind in this regard with its lures. The Discs themselves are beloved by their owners, and the catching baskets are a novel and interesting twist on where sporting projectiles are destined. Factor this in with the relative inexpensive nature of the game for both player and park and this game is destined to be one of the big past times.

Don't forget that maintenance is relatively low and lots of it is done by local enthusiasts.

It's a great recreation bang for the buck for parks departments. I used to think back then we'd eventually have a course in every small town like there are tennis and basketball courts and baseball/softball fields. It's happening now before our very eyes!

Go get 'em!

Great insight! I'll make sure to put these notes in the package I present to the park board.

Niced: (1)

Old 10-14-2020, 07:54 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 196 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
Yep, that's over the border... Would rather not have to cross the border to play. Not even possible right now in Covid times....
Would be easier to just drive the 40mins to a closer local course.

I'm not looking for work-arounds.... I want to get a new course built!
K. I figured as much. I guess I'm lucky enough to have a course 1/2 mile from my house (which was my spark to play in the first place).

Up until 2 months ago I had an airport adjacent to my property. It recently got voted down and now its public land... The perimeter is wooded and might be a good spot for a new course... Hmmm...

Niced: (1)