Old 10-19-2020, 05:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 162 Times in 106 Posts
Default Running Aces

So I have been playing for over 20 years. I have 9 aces, and most of those have been on accidents.

I have a couple of buddies that average about 5-8 a year. One is at 75, one has hit 3 in one day with the same disc.

I regularly play in a league where all I want to do is hit the ace pool.

My question is, how to do I start seeing/running aces better? What tips/visuals/lines do you use to help improve your ace running ability?

I am generally a par player, who lets the birdies come to me, rather than press for them. When I start to press, I have a tendency to shank, especially typing to hit the tight hyzer.

I have an approach FH and solid BH. I can throw far, approach well, and putt decently. I play +-4 on most courses.

Help me make some money, pretty please.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2020, 05:08 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 202 Times in 136 Posts

Disc up maybe? If you would usually try to scoot a putter to the pin try the same line with a mid for the extra juice?

Niced: (1)
Old 10-19-2020, 05:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethamphetamine View Post
Disc up maybe? If you would usually try to scoot a putter to the pin try the same line with a mid for the extra juice?
Do you visualize the same line, or go with a different line? Also, when you disc up, are you using the same type of disc? OS mid->OS fairway?
Old 10-19-2020, 05:33 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 202 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw80550 View Post
Do you visualize the same line, or go with a different line? Also, when you disc up, are you using the same type of disc? OS mid->OS fairway?
Depends I suppose. If the line isn’t forced with a tunnel or anything, you can def disc up and throw a hyzer with a faster disc. Most of my aces are straight laser beams, so a good “universal” ace bit of advice might be to throw straight at the basket with whatever you feel comfortable holding that line. Rather than play the easy hyzer up and around, go for the straight shot at the bucket.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:44 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 4
Niced 397 Times in 186 Posts

How often do you miss long?

I have 0 aces, but I have several throw ins from 150+ feet. I almost never go long on my tee shot, but I'm constantly going long on approaches. Never up, never in.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 491 Times in 236 Posts

Novice questions--what is an acceptable ace run? I understand it is a hole in one off the tee. What kind of distances are these guys throwing 5-8 aces per year? Are there times/throws where it's too short?

Also I assume this is any type of play? Casual, club, tournament?

I saw a video of Ricky playing a short course--looked like nothing over 200' and he aced every hole. No idea how many throws it took, but just seems to me that there is a difference in what makes a true "ace". Or maybe not. I've never thrown one.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 145
Niced 1,291 Times in 646 Posts

The entire key to running aces is to completely forget you are playing disc golf.

Instead, you are playing ace run. Imagine the basket is a person and you MUST get it to them so they can catch it without taking a step. Anything else is a failure.

To practice, just warm up by playing catch and continually backing up until you and ur friend are at max putter distance.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Novice questions--what is an acceptable ace run? I understand it is a hole in one off the tee. What kind of distances are these guys throwing 5-8 aces per year? Are there times/throws where it's too short?

Also I assume this is any type of play? Casual, club, tournament?

I saw a video of Ricky playing a short course--looked like nothing over 200' and he aced every hole. No idea how many throws it took, but just seems to me that there is a difference in what makes a true "ace". Or maybe not. I've never thrown one.
The longest ace I have seen from these guys is 389'. Most are somewhere between 200'-300'. Super shorts still count, you just don't get as big a hi-five. My friend that hit 3 in one day, were all less than 250', but it was in the mountains so there was elevation, rocks, and trees. It was crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
The entire key to running aces is to completely forget you are playing disc golf.

Instead, you are playing ace run. Imagine the basket is a person and you MUST get it to them so they can catch it without taking a step. Anything else is a failure.

To practice, just warm up by playing catch and continually backing up until you and ur friend are at max putter distance.
Love this idea.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:24 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 33 Times in 18 Posts

Almost 14 months into disc golf, and I'm still waiting for my first Ace. A few months ago I decided no more playing for birdie on the holes I know I can reach. So, I have disc up and I'm now gunning for an ace. So far, I've flown to the left, to the right, over baskets, and I've hit the pole when I'm a little low. If the disc runs 30 feet past the basket, a par is fine on a missed birdie, I cant ace it running short. I like the idea of playing catch with the basket.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:52 PM
Size Queen

Niced 196 Times in 128 Posts

I just visualize the line of flight and go. Take enough disc so you are not short.

I have around 175-200 aces which some people wouldn't count as none are tournament aces (all casual or league rounds). When I play for score I am not trying to ace. When I play casual rounds I'm trying to ace every hole that I can reach. It's just for fun anyways so who cares if you leave a 25-30 footer comeback shot. I had 3 in one day as well which was crazy.