Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 525
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,690 Times in 806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
somewhere close

now it hasnt been reviewed in over a year which is hilarious its probably now stuck there too no one wants to go there cuz its allegedly ran down and neglected
I thought VQ was in there too. Maybe #10 only, but I thought it was.

I could also be completely wrong about that. 😁
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-21-2020, 06:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 385
Niced 517 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins View Post
So DiscGolfCraig, it’s a logical fallacy akin to the straw man argument to say that because people who have not reviewed before, don’t know what they are talking about. Just the same a saying because a person has 50 reviews does know what they are talking about.

Many of the folks that have reviewed Caliber are from out of state. Ive had folks in from 20 or so different states this past summer just to play this course. Groups from Salt Lake, Boise, Portland, Seattle, Pocatello, Missoula, Libby, Kallispell, Tricities (WA), and Bend have come twice to visit because they enjoyed it so much.

Honestly, it’s pretty conceited to think a first time reviewer lacks experience. There are some very seasoned players out there who are very articulate and intelligent that you do not know about. Many of those folks have never felt the drive to review, just like some players do.

The guy who gave me a 3, for example, is a total fraud. He came to league play last summer, there were roughly 40 there that day. He was approximately 23 years old, been playing 1.5 years. My shop was in disarray with some used discs in the back in a box somewhere. He wanted my attention to search through them, I helped the best I could. He got frustrated because I couldn’t find for him what he didn’t even know he wanted. I did my best. He shot 89 or 92 or something, lost a disc or two and split not in a great mood. So he goes and gives me a 3 to spite me, gives other courses in the area a 4 that are far lesser of venues.

Here’s the fraudulent part, he stated at the time of his review that he’d been playing for 23.5 years, when he was actually only 23.5 years old. Tried to make himself look like a big shot when the opposite was true.

Moral of the story, don’t judge a book by its cover. Some of those first time reviewers would take your lunch money 5 days a week on any course and are very good, “well read” players who know exactly what the hell they are talking about, just never felt the need to review before.
You’re new so I’ll sum the argument up in two words: Pendleton King.

Every review should be weighed equally. Some people think more experienced players/TRers should have their reviews more heavily weighted. I’ve always argued against that. I like all perspectives. What is harmful to the site are the drive by 5-star reviews.

Look at the amount of garbage 9-hole courses that have high ratings on UDisc. It’s hard to sort out the good and bad courses on that site because seemingly every single course has a 4.0+ rating.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 121
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 397 Times in 185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
I could care less about movement in the top 10. I don't think a 4.5 is a bad score by any means. A review is based off YOUR opinion of a course. I've played some good ones. I feel I justify my reasons in my reviews. If you don't like them feel free to give me down vote. But it is just MY opinion. Do it your way and I'll do it my way. And life will go on.
you are entitled to your opinion. i was just wondering what it would take for you to give a 5 disc rating; especially when you have already seemingly made up your mind about a course you haven't played:
Quote:
It'll average itself out. It always does. For what it's worth, I'm really trying to find a way to play this one. And when I do and give it my usual 4.5, I'll drop it out of the top 100 😁
Old 10-21-2020, 11:54 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 471
Niced 1,348 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
You’re new so I’ll sum the argument up in two words: Pendleton King.
I went out of my way on a recent work trip to play Pendleton King a couple weeks ago. seems like they have made significant changes to the course in the last couple of years. they upgraded the baskets to mach7s, upgraded the tee signs and upgraded the benches on every hole. There were also several other small delightful touches as well. The whole amenity and atmosphere was rather knocked out of the park imo. Several holes must be different too. there are now some technical par 4s in the woods requiring placement shots to leave ideal approach shots. I rather enjoyed the course, but its only a +4 in the ratings on sites like Udisc, where helpfulness and objectivity doesn't matter.

Regarding Caliber. I hope I get a chance to play it someday. looks flip'n awesome on paper.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-21-2020, 12:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 171
Niced 362 Times in 172 Posts

Quote:
I thought VQ was in there too. Maybe #10 only, but I thought it was.

I could also be completely wrong about that. 😁
I'm pretty sure it was at 9 or 10 before the traveling baggers had a chance to weigh in.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-21-2020, 02:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 633
Niced 2,764 Times in 1,550 Posts

why does it show caliber on the home page for top 10 rated

then when you click on "more top rated courses" (to see the list of top 25) its not on there
Old 10-21-2020, 02:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 407
Niced 391 Times in 169 Posts

Quote:

then when you click on "more top rated courses" (to see the list of top 25) its not on there
I noticed that as well. Was about to comment on Brewster getting bumped out of the 25 being a bummer. I like it better than a few of the courses higher up the list. But with Phantom being officially extinct it’ll get to stay for now, even when the list updates with Caliber.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-21-2020, 03:00 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.7
Courses Played: 711
Niced 2,680 Times in 1,124 Posts

Quote:

Looks like 21 reviews needed to make all top courses list and just the 20 reviews Caliber has to make the main page top 10?

Old 10-21-2020, 03:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 525
Niced 1,690 Times in 806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevis View Post
you are entitled to your opinion. i was just wondering what it would take for you to give a 5 disc rating; especially when you have already seemingly made up your mind about a course you haven't played:
I thought it was pretty clear I was joking about rating Caliber. I guess it wasn't. I'll do better next time.

I said that in reference to my 4.5 review of Harmony Bends in July that knocked it out of the top spot. The great thing about this place is that I can go back and update my reviews whenever I want. Maybe Flip IS a 5. If I decide that, I'm free to change it.

FWIW, I've basically only played midwest courses. Not really a big spectrum to judge from. I've never played the west coast, pacific NW, Rockies etc. I just try to write helpful reviews and be fair. If one person finds it helpful I did my job.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 633
Niced 2,764 Times in 1,550 Posts

Quote:
I thought it was pretty clear I was joking about rating Caliber. I guess it wasn't. I'll do better next time.

I said that in reference to my 4.5 review of Harmony Bends in July that knocked it out of the top spot. The great thing about this place is that I can go back and update my reviews whenever I want. Maybe Flip IS a 5. If I decide that, I'm free to change it.

FWIW, I've basically only played midwest courses. Not really a big spectrum to judge from. I've never played the west coast, pacific NW, Rockies etc. I just try to write helpful reviews and be fair. If one person finds it helpful I did my job.
ive really loved your review of courses and im yet to majorly disagree with you

we have played about the same courses and i too have the midwest vision

i would say youve helped me with at least twenty courses/cities and how to divide my time or what has replay value or what courses can be blown through fast so i can bag moar in a day