Old 10-23-2020, 01:09 PM
Supreme Disc Golf Authority

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 298
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 139 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbody View Post
So the teachers in your kids school don't get to make that choice? They have to be there in case you want to send your kids?

Or the people working at the store? hey just have to accept that people might want to come in without masks and risk getting them sick?

I'd accept your ideas if we had a robust social safety net. A way for employees to say "**** this it isn't safe" and not risk losing their house, or being unable to put food on the table. But we don't.

Your freedumbs end the moment they put someone else in danger. You don't have the freedumb to drive drunk, you don't have the freedumb to fire off guns in populated areas, etc... So you don't have the freedumb to risk other peoples lives cause you don't want to wear a ****ing mask.

Wear a mask. Socially distance yourself. Not because you are risking your life, but because you could be risking others.

Am I dead yet? Guess I should be by now. But while we wait for me to keel over, let me just say, the teachers have the freedumb to find another job, as do the store clerks and everyone else. I used to haul medical waste for a living, but I quit after a couple co-workers got pricked by needles in the trash. The risk was too high for the compensation.

The way y’all screech, you’d think y’all would ban not only drunk driving but just driving at all. Every day people die because they chose to drive somewhere. Yet that seems acceptable to y’all. Every day people die from smoking or diseases caused by their own obesity. Yet y’all seem to think that’s okay too.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2020, 01:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,521 Times in 964 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Am I dead yet? Guess I should be by now. But while we wait for me to keel over, let me just say, the teachers have the freedumb to find another job, as do the store clerks and everyone else. I used to haul medical waste for a living, but I quit after a couple co-workers got pricked by needles in the trash. The risk was too high for the compensation.

The way y’all screech, you’d think y’all would ban not only drunk driving but just driving at all. Every day people die because they chose to drive somewhere. Yet that seems acceptable to y’all. Every day people die from smoking or diseases caused by their own obesity. Yet y’all seem to think that’s okay too.
Quote where this was said and who said it.

Just stop and go away, you are the definition of a COVidiot.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,599 Times in 1,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

You make no sense. With your logic, why not let all the shopkeeps go out and start a new, smarter, economy proof business. With your logic, any impacted sector of the economy, should just exercise your "freedom of choice" and find new revenue streams. Why not let all the unemployed just go get available jobs.

You utterly fail to understand that it is not all about you. You are so sadly wrapped up in your childish tantrum, you fail to understand the most basic of issues surrounding COVID practicality. Nobody cares what you do. I desperately care what you will do to others. Smoking and obesity cannot be passed on to others, they are not contagious. Most smokers are also happy to make a few small concessions, to prevent others from second hand smoke. I don't see people sparking up on an airplane, whining about their rights. Why is this so difficult for you?

Again, you don't have the rudimentary grasp, to really even hold this conversation. I suspect you are just seeking attention, for I don't anyone can be this selfish and illogical.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 158
Niced 805 Times in 323 Posts

MikeK: "Blah, blah, blah, etc, etc"

Translation: "I just don't feel like wearing a mask"

Niced: (5)
Old 10-23-2020, 02:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,572 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmonty View Post
MikeK: "Blah, blah, blah, etc, etc"

Translation: "I just don't feel like wearing a mask"
Yep, exactly.

Dunno if this has been linked before: researchers used genetic sequencing to trace two instances of COVID spread from college students to a nursing home, with two resulting deaths.

Unfortunately, those who are unwilling to take simple precautions are not just putting themselves at risk.
La Crosse County, Wisconsin experienced a substantial SARS-CoV-2 outbreak (2,002 cases in September 2020) that coincided with the return to in-person instruction at three local academic institutions. Genomic sequencing of SARS-CoV-2 cases in La Crosse during that period found rapid expansion of two viral substrains. Although the majority of cases were among college-age individuals, from a total of 111 genomes sequenced we identified rapid transmission of the virus into more vulnerable populations. Eight sampled genomes represented two independent transmission events into two skilled nursing facilities, resulting in two fatalities. Our study highlights the very significant risks imposed by college administrator reopening decisions, not just on college-associated populations, but on vulnerable individuals in surrounding communities.

SARS-CoV-2 sequencing reveals rapid transmission from college student clusters resulting in morbidity and deaths in vulnerable populations (pre-print)

Niced: (2)
Old 10-23-2020, 02:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 428 Times in 211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Yep, exactly.

Dunno if this has been linked before: researchers used genetic sequencing to trace two instances of COVID spread from college students to a nursing home, with two resulting deaths.

Unfortunately, those who are unwilling to take simple precautions are not just putting themselves at risk.
La Crosse County, Wisconsin experienced a substantial SARS-CoV-2 outbreak (2,002 cases in September 2020) that coincided with the return to in-person instruction at three local academic institutions. Genomic sequencing of SARS-CoV-2 cases in La Crosse during that period found rapid expansion of two viral substrains. Although the majority of cases were among college-age individuals, from a total of 111 genomes sequenced we identified rapid transmission of the virus into more vulnerable populations. Eight sampled genomes represented two independent transmission events into two skilled nursing facilities, resulting in two fatalities. Our study highlights the very significant risks imposed by college administrator reopening decisions, not just on college-associated populations, but on vulnerable individuals in surrounding communities.

SARS-CoV-2 sequencing reveals rapid transmission from college student clusters resulting in morbidity and deaths in vulnerable populations (pre-print)
Good point.

I don't know that I've really thought about the spread aspect in the third/fourth person spread. So college kid gets virus--minor illness or asymptomatic. Goes home to Mom...Mom works in senior center...or the library...or anywhere that more vulnerable population exists. By the time Mom is sick, she's been around numerous vulnerable people for extended time.

So why did we need government dictated shutdowns and restrictions? Because this country is full of freedumb lovers. We've all had a good laugh at Sovereign Citizens videos on YouTube.

To be clear--I'm prior service, believe in the principals of the USA and consider individual freedom to be tremendously important. But, society--any society requires cooperation amongst people and the understanding that your FREEDUMBS end where my freedoms begin and vice versa. If we didn't have so many FREEDUMB lovers the government wouldn't feel compelled to dictate common sense and courtesy in response to a pandemic.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:03 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 17
Niced 280 Times in 142 Posts

The most frustrating part of this epidemic that I have observed in people is still (as it was months ago), the failure of people to connect with the idea that we keep each other safe through safer practices. I know that people hear it, understand it on the surface, but they don't internalize it, don't learn it. Everybody initially gets the idea of masks, but they forget or discard it. You are wearing your mask for me, and I am wearing my mask for you. It's the only mindset that works in this situation, but people revert to worrying about their own safety with no mental flag to turn that thought around.

It's counter-intuitive, I get it. We're used to PPE being for protecting our persons only, but holy hell, can we not expect at least this basic understanding to develop in the course of nearly a year of this? Are people really just going through the motions of this burden without reflecting? I know the answer is "yes," but it's frustrating.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 428 Times in 211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco40 View Post
The most frustrating part of this epidemic that I have observed in people is still (as it was months ago), the failure of people to connect with the idea that we keep each other safe through safer practices. I know that people hear it, understand it on the surface, but they don't internalize it, don't learn it. Everybody initially gets the idea of masks, but they forget or discard it. You are wearing your mask for me, and I am wearing my mask for you. It's the only mindset that works in this situation, but people revert to worrying about their own safety with no mental flag to turn that thought around.

It's counter-intuitive, I get it. We're used to PPE being for protecting our persons only, but holy hell, can we not expect at least this basic understanding to develop in the course of nearly a year of this? Are people really just going through the motions of this burden without reflecting? I know the answer is "yes," but it's frustrating.

Good point. I only go out shopping once a week on average. I wear a mask and then leave it in my truck. For a while I was keeping them considering minimal usage. I’ve started changing them out more often as of late.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,437 Times in 714 Posts

Why is it that a store says "you need a wear a shirt in here or you can't come In..." Nobody ever has ever complained about that infringing upon their freedoms.

A store says "shoes are required..." Nobody thinks twice.

A store says "please wear a mask In here" NO WAY! THAT INFRINGES ON MY RIGHTS MAN!!!! WONT DO IT!!! YOU CANT MAKE ME!

Can somebody please, intelligently, explain to me the difference?

Old 10-23-2020, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 145
Niced 1,279 Times in 643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Can somebody please, intelligently, explain to me the difference?
I think it's as simple as 'change is hard'.
No one thinks twice about shoes and shirts simply bc they are used to it. It's normal. Masks are new and scary.