Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 10-23-2020, 07:53 PM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Do you need an overstable approach disc?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. My question is do you need an overstable approach disc like a zone/harp type disc? I currently bag an aviarx3 and barley use it. Maybe I’m doing it wrong but 99.99% of shots is covered by my gator, a fanned roc, or throwing a straight putter on hyzer angle. Opinions?

Edit:

I did own a zone in the past and it was an honorary mid range IMO. Swapped it out for a gator. Gator just felt more consistent on my backhand throws for whatever reason.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Prince Vegeta; 10-23-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,262 Times in 998 Posts

Everyone has different needs depending on how they choose to shape their shots.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:06 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 395 Times in 225 Posts

I do.

I was a Harp guy for a couple of years but lately I keep flip flopping between a Zone and a Pig.

I use these types of discs for pretty much any tee shot or approach where I have room for it to do its thing. The only time Ill throw a straight approach with a regular putter is when I absolutely have to run dead straight at the basket.

The Gator you are bagging should cover the Pig/Zone/Harp shot so you likely wouldnt have a huge need for a dedicated approach disc.

I dont really bag a beefy mid so I just use the Pig or Zone for those shots.

Everyone has a different game and there is no wrong or right answer. If you play well without one you probably dont need one.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:14 PM
Size Queen

Niced 177 Times in 121 Posts

The Gator is an OS approach disc. It may be marginally faster then a Zone or Harp but very similar.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:25 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,199 Times in 992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Vegeta View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. My question is do you need an overstable approach disc like a zone/harp type disc? I currently bag an aviarx3 and barley use it. Maybe I’m doing it wrong but 99.99% of shots is covered by my gator, a fanned roc, or throwing a straight putter on hyzer angle. Opinions?

Edit:

I did own a zone in the past and it was an honorary mid range IMO. Swapped it out for a gator. Gator just felt more consistent on my backhand throws for whatever reason.
I consider the Gator to be an oversable approach midrange, due to the putter like shape for the mold and the lack of glide. That is my Brothers go to approach disc is a Metal Flake Champion or his G-Star Gator depending on what he needs at the time.

I use a Shark my Star for OS approach as when I go down in power with the Shark mid it becomes more OS for approach. Also the Shark over the Shark 3 or other same stability disc besides the Classic ROC (technically a putter), the Shark tends to be more floating less penetrating in the glide the way most putters are.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-23-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
The Gator is an OS approach disc. It may be marginally faster then a Zone or Harp but very similar.
That is what I said. . In fact before Innova had all of its OS discs the Gator was a favorite approach disc by the Innova sponsored players if they were not using a Rhyno or Classic ROC.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:34 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 179 Times in 106 Posts

“I” need an overstable approach disc, and I use a Harp. ‘You’ need an approach disc whose flight patterns you are familiar with. The reason for my choice is that overstable flight patterns are inherently more consistent because they only fade. A disc that only fades has no risk of going to the right of the throwing line, only on the line thrown or left of line (RHBH). A stable/understable disc can possibly go either sine of the line thrown.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-23-2020, 08:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 7
Niced 1,437 Times in 714 Posts

Quote:
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. My question is do you need an overstable approach disc like a zone/harp type disc? I currently bag an aviarx3 and barley use it. Maybe Im doing it wrong but 99.99% of shots is covered by my gator, a fanned roc, or throwing a straight putter on hyzer angle. Opinions?

Edit:

A gator is the epitome of an OS approach disc. So.... apparently you do?

There is no right or wrong though. The goal is to hole out in the fewest number of throws. How you go about that is up to you!

Niced: (2)
Old 10-23-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Edit:

What plastic is the Gator? I would get something premium to prevent the disc from breaking in unless you want to do a cycle of OS, less OS, and neutral.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 525
Niced 1,662 Times in 796 Posts

I like a Zone for this spot. It's really all personal preference though. If a Gator works, roll with that.

Niced: (1)