Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 05-01-2015, 01:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 21 Times in 19 Posts
Default Putter or Mid FH sidearm Approach not midrange or drive, that won't skip or turn/burn

Ok I just want a putter or mid for FOREHAND/SIDEARM that I can either flex on an S curve or light hyzer for risky approaches where you cannot afford to skip far, roll away, turn/burn, or be taken with the wind to never fade back.

I know work on form, blah blah. My form isn't bad for FH. Just looking to be carried by a good disc

I don't like baseline plastic since the release is not clean for me, I think it's the floppiness of the plastic? But I like how baseline/pro lands and sticks. Premium plastic I have a cleaner release.

Discs I've tried and dislike:

Zone in pro d or Z
champ panther
z buzzz
any roc
c md2
any atlas
nova

things I'm considering:
opto pure
aviar??
dx gator
verdict

basically looking for slight overstable, but not a meathook. Needs to be workable without too much effort, and predictable. and some glide to go at least 100ft with the flick of the wrist.

I honestly like my blizzard boss best for this, minus the skips and rolls on dangerous land.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2015, 02:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I love a frontline-x mortar for this slot. The mortar is a beadless gator, so for me it flicks cleaner, and the frontline-x is a gummy star. The frontline-x came out flat also(which I prefer for sidearms) and the plastic isn't too gummy to flick, but gummy enough not to get wild skips.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:10 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,313 Times in 654 Posts

You just described the Envy, especially noticing that you haven't tried any MVP/Axiom yet. I think the Protons are beefiest, and might be right up your alley.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:21 AM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

PIG PIG PIG PIG.... OINK
Old 05-01-2015, 02:22 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Suspect
Old 05-01-2015, 02:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,631 Times in 1,656 Posts

Verdict is very good for this, but it is a fast mid so if you scooch it low along the ground expect it to do the glidey skip slide towards the pin on fast ground types. I actually love how it does this predictably and use that knowledge to plan my shot. It has a predictable hook at the end for the little 100-150' flick approaches that it does every time. Plus its grip feels amazing for FH to me with its fairly thick rim for a mid (along with being a great backhand mid). It doesn't tend to roll away on me either after doing its thing on these approaches.

If you want something slower and even more beefy then I'd consider the Gator. I have flicked a Pig a couple times that someone had and it felt great for approach range stuff, but I just like how much of a workhorse the Verdict is for so many types of shots for me (and plus it's in great plastics). Again though, it is a fast mid and it can be used for the short 100' shots very easily (I do this because I don't trust myself with putter flicks), but it really shines in its useability for many different types of shots throughout your game.

Last edited by slowplastic; 05-01-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:59 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 37
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll second BigSky's recommendation of an Envy. They are very workable and glide really well for a putter/mid that has quite a bit of HSS. Proton will be a little more LSS than Neutron but Soft Neutron has a little more bite once it hits the ground. I use my soft primarily for the shot you describe. I think it would be worth your time to try one.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

The Suspect is my choice for this shot.

I use it for all my upshots (I primarily FH).

It's a little overstable, doesn't skip much, and feels great in the hand for FH.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,750 Times in 2,969 Posts

Envy is a good choice. Dx gator would work also but they get flippy pretty quick, if you want to go in the gator direction try to find a used champion or glow. BuzzOS may not have the glide your looking for but they are awesome FH discs. The DGA breaker is another option, never thrown one personally but have seen a few guys using them for this role.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:22 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

For forehand putter shots, I like shallow putters. Harp, Envy, Suspect... there may be others but those are the ones I have experience flicking. Deeper rims don't suit me, like the Wizard or Rhyno.

The angle the disc hits the ground matters a lot though in preventing skip. If you land flat or spiked, the disc will (usually) settle. The low hyzer angle skips mids and putters like a rock on water.