Old 03-22-2020, 12:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 736 Times in 281 Posts

I’ll add that working on a 1,000 piece puzzle isn’t anywhere as fun as DG, but it is what it is.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-22-2020, 01:02 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,378 Times in 1,732 Posts

I believe people are taking CV seriously... go check the toilet paper and bread aisles at your local grocery store, and see the empty streets and restaurants, etc.

Having said that, playing disc golf is one of the safer things you can do during this time.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,531 Times in 883 Posts

Flattening the curve might actually make it worse. So many variables, too many unknowns.
What is pretty clear is that the fallout from the supply chain being shut down is more likely to be more deadly than the virus is even if the virus was left unchecked.

Part of my job is working with OHDSI databases, so I have been keeping pretty close watch on the studies(Not over the weekend, my brain had to have a rest). From data from S. Korea(the best data sets) it does look like unless one is in a high risk group, there is way too much of an over reaction.

There also seems to be effective treatments that have been rediscovered from the old SARS-1 virus, which was much more deadly than the current SARS-2.

There is still a lot we don't know, but the best medical advice is always "First do no harm".

Sorry for the ramble, I would have made it shorter if I had more time.

Niced: (4)
Old 03-22-2020, 01:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 1,532 Times in 790 Posts

Based on the other threads on this topic, I'd say plenty of people are taking it seriously. I'm heading out to a course west of town that I rarely see anyone else playing. Same course where I'm pretty sure I picked up a dose of salmonella a couple years ago from the goose shixt on the course. Been packing hand sanitizer in my bag ever since.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,631 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
We could stop traffic deaths if we outlawed personal cars.

There's no one answer to disc golf---it depends on a lot of factors. Certainly, if we isolate everyone in their own bubble, we'll get the greatest effect on stopping contagion. But if everyone just reduces their risky activities by 80%, it will have a huge effect....and we can still have a little bit of life.

Yesterday, at an isolated course, 8 40+ disc golfers showed up in 7 cars, practiced excellent social distancing, didn't touch each other's discs, etc. Very minimal risk. At the same time, 6 players in their early 20s showed up packed into 2 cars, and seemed to have no regard. (Maybe they all live in 1 house, and are just a traveling group isolation, I don't know).
This was my experience yesterday. Met a buddy at a course, driving separately. The courses eventually became busy, not packed but quite a few golfers were out there. Among them several groups of 8+ golfers. Arriving packed 3,4,5 in a car, hugging, shaking hands and high fiving. Playing in this group with zero regard for any distancing.

I was blown away. I estimate there were about 40 players on the course all day, demonstrating this kind of behavior. It indeed, without exception that I saw (and I was looking), was all young adults. I honestly don't know what the hell is wrong with these people. This behavior has me rethinking my choice to continue to play. They increase my risk substantially. I wonder if they realize that....better yet, if they give a crap about it. I, sadly am under the impression that they don't give a crap about anyone.

Plenty of twosomes and threesomes out there, all practicing social distancing. Many parking away from the group of cars by the kiosk. Many washing their hands and discs at their cars when finished. Even saw a couple of twosome/threesomes sitting at a couple picnic tables having a beer.

Perhaps I will rethink my course choice....perhaps I will rethink playing. Disc golf seems like a great opportunity to get outside and do something. I will make be very sad, to give it up, because people are inconsiderate bastards.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,486 Times in 2,120 Posts

I was in the Social Distancing Group. I'd left a disc behind on a hole---no problem, it's my course, I can get it anytime. Then one of the guys in the Invincible Group picked it up, and yelled to me that he'd found it. I told him to leave it where it was .

Niced: (2)
Old 03-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,313 Times in 654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Flattening the curve might actually make it worse.
Flattening the curve works. People are too dumb, stubborn, careless, and unbelieving to do it on their own, though.

Forcing the curve to flatten is going to destroy us.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 201
Niced 820 Times in 355 Posts

A lot of people showed up for what would have been a league round this morning. We all laughed when the 10th person showed up. The oldest among us said he didn't really care if he got it, he would just go off and die and not give it to anyone else and we all laughed again. The smoke was passed around freely and we broke into smaller groups and played a round. Our county has an average age of around 55. So most of us are in the late boomer to the early millennial age range. We have only 2 active coronavirus cases in my county right now, so we are not in a hot zone situation like the large cities. We are taking it seriously, and most things are closed now and the shelves in the stores are mostly bare. We may have to play solo rounds in the future, we'll see.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,311 Times in 1,013 Posts

Definitely not passing smoke around freely. Not passing at all.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 201
Niced 820 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Definitely not passing smoke around freely. Not passing at all.
My neighbors across the street threw a redneck rager last night. Lots of trucks beer and a crappy live band. Under normal conditions, I might have crashed it but decided to abstain this time. They didn't seem too concerned about the coronavirus. Floriduh x youngins.

Last edited by thrembo; 03-22-2020 at 02:53 PM.