Old 10-23-2020, 11:53 AM
Par Member

Niced 108 Times in 58 Posts
Default Moment of weightlessness in the pocket

Recently I saw a gif of someone driving, and just before the hit, his thumb actually comes off the flight plate. Something about this particular gif made me start having a way more intuitive timing, or at least I think so, and I was curious about something.

For those that throw somewhat far, do you feel a moment of weightlessness coming into the hit? Lately I have been feeling like the first part of the swing almost 'tosses' the disc forward into the power pocket, then I 'catch' it and rip it out.

That might be a confusing or outright stupid way to describe it, but I am just curious if this is a shared feeling, or a sign of me going off track into some inefficiency that I don't understand.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2020, 11:59 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 327 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Look at this random video; the bell actually floats in the grip for the last third of the snatch.

I think I touched on this a few weeks ago in another thread. Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:08 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 226
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 105 Times in 45 Posts

Josh Anthon seems to be the pro example of this. When I first saw this, I couldn't believe it. So strange.

A buddy did a slo-mo of me teeing off this summer. When I looked closely i noticed, I DO IT TOO! Been playing 20+ yrs and have never noticed it. Now that I have knowledge of it, I can kinda feel my thumb popping off. Strange indeed!
Old 10-23-2020, 12:20 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 188 Times in 115 Posts

This is the clip that comes to mind. At this moment of the backswing, my wrist is barely holding the disc. Certainly wouldn’t say weightless (but maybe it is?). I would like to see a video of no-thumb in the pocket. That would be perplexing to me.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:04 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
This is the clip that comes to mind. At this moment of the backswing, my wrist is barely holding the disc. Certainly wouldn’t say weightless (but maybe it is?). I would like to see a video of no-thumb in the pocket. That would be perplexing to me.

Haha, that's the one! Ya, I am not even totally sure what I am trying to get at in an eloquent way.

What I think is happening, is I am starting to feel like the backswing into the power pocket needs to happen a lot slower than one tends to believe at first. The weightless feeling I am describing seems to be like...swinging a big hammer. You get it moving with the big muscles, then BOOM you add to it with the arms and accelerate. Lately, I don't feel like the acceleration is constant, its more like slow, slow, slow BOOOOOOM.

Does a graph or image exist that shows the acceleration of a disc golf drive? Looking at videos it is hard to see just how violent this acceleration 'feels' to me right now.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by RowingBoats; 10-23-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,031 Times in 471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingBoats View Post
...Lately, I don't feel like the acceleration is constant, its more like slow, slow, slow BOOOOOOM.
I remember reading an article where McBeth talked about the point of highest acceleration being the distance between the shoulders.

Quote:
Does a graph or image exist that shows the acceleration of a disc golf drive? Looking at videos it is hard to see just how violent this acceleration 'feels' to me right now.
I made my own Wrist Snapper and was very surprised just how much snap I had to come up with in order to get the thing to work. It made me realize just how much effort I was wasn't putting into my throws.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 227
Niced 4,120 Times in 2,499 Posts

Quote:
Recently I saw a gif of someone driving, and just before the hit, his thumb actually comes off the flight plate. Something about this particular gif made me start having a way more intuitive timing, or at least I think so, and I was curious about something.

For those that throw somewhat far, do you feel a moment of weightlessness coming into the hit? Lately I have been feeling like the first part of the swing almost 'tosses' the disc forward into the power pocket, then I 'catch' it and rip it out.

That might be a confusing or outright stupid way to describe it, but I am just curious if this is a shared feeling, or a sign of me going off track into some inefficiency that I don't understand.
When the elbow bends, it's bringing the disc inward toward your center, so it cams off the centrifugal force/tension kind of like a compound bow. You can continue to cam it off during elbow extension if you push the disc leftward from center while swinging targetward. Your max centrifugal force is 90 degrees left from target, so if you push out that direction it cams it off longer until you can't any longer and turn the sharp corner at the hit. This is how you can throw far with a fairly loose grip.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 493 Times in 284 Posts

Quote:
Haha, that's the one! Ya, I am not even totally sure what I am trying to get at in an eloquent way.

What I think is happening, is I am starting to feel like the backswing into the power pocket needs to happen a lot slower than one tends to believe at first. The weightless feeling I am describing seems to be like...swinging a big hammer. You get it moving with the big muscles, then BOOM you add to it with the arms and accelerate. Lately, I don't feel like the acceleration is constant, its more like slow, slow, slow BOOOOOOM.

Here Shawn Clements and the group talk about the levitation and uses the sledge hammer to demonstrate starting at around 6 minutes.

https://youtu.be/ERdMP_Yum9w?t=362

Here's the whole video.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:52 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
Here Shawn Clements and the group talk about the levitation and uses the sledge hammer to demonstrate starting at around 6 minutes.

https://youtu.be/ERdMP_Yum9w?t=362

Here's the whole video.
Ah, ya that seems really close to what I am thinking. I just saw this one:

This video is EXACTLY what I mean, wow this is a gem.

Niced: (2)