Old 06-14-2017, 10:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.8
Courses Played: 124
Niced 1,106 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerealman View Post
Technically ... Flip City is currently at 4.8504, so if Harmony Bends only generates 14 points in its next three reviews (5+4.5+4.5 or 5+5+4), it would have a rating of 4.8500 and be in third place anyway.

Though, I don't know how many decimal places Tim goes to break a "tie" in the ratings.

Forgive my math nerdiness. I'm hoping Harmony Bends debuts at No. 2 anyway. It's a GREAT course.
A great demonstration of how things have changed since the early days of this site. So many top-flight courses that tiny fractions of a rating point make a difference in position. How much real difference is there between #5 and #20, these days?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2017, 11:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 58
Niced 88 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerealman View Post
Technically ... Flip City is currently at 4.8504, so if Harmony Bends only generates 14 points in its next three reviews (5+4.5+4.5 or 5+5+4), it would have a rating of 4.8500 and be in third place anyway.

Though, I don't know how many decimal places Tim goes to break a "tie" in the ratings.

Forgive my math nerdiness. I'm hoping Harmony Bends debuts at No. 2 anyway. It's a GREAT course.
I believe a tie in the rating goes to the course with the greater number of reviews.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.9
Courses Played: 93
Niced 521 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
It's true that a course with an average design on excellent terrain will likely rate better than an excellent design on weaker property. Some of my best design efforts were on weaker properties and 9-hole layouts knowing that the course would still be perceived as average at best.
Agree completely- the course i usually cite as my best design work is a 9 holer that will never be rated higher than 3 by players.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-14-2017, 12:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.9
Courses Played: 391
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 100 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Agree completely- the course i usually cite as my best design work is a 9 holer that will never be rated higher than 3 by players.
Mr. Biscoe, which course are you talking about?
Old 06-14-2017, 01:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
Mr. Biscoe, which course are you talking about?
Betty Queen Center- Louisa, VA. A postage stamp of woods very well utilized if i say so myself.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.9
Courses Played: 391
Niced 100 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Betty Queen Center- Louisa, VA. A postage stamp of woods very well utilized if i say so myself.
For some reason I was wondering if that was the course you meant. I've played there, but it's been a while so I will have to go back and look at my review notes.

(Totally unrelated to the course... on my way there, while close by I was checking directions and didn't notice that I was in a school zone until a cop gave me a $170 speeding ticket! Bummed me out.)
Old 06-14-2017, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 131
Niced 289 Times in 213 Posts

I just got to play one recently that had that nice combination of terrain and design... at least to me! Right now it's at 4.89 with 9 reviews, though I'm not sure that will continue to the 20 review threshold. So much fun, though! And Biscoe, there was a nice little 9 hole on the same property that only got a 3.5 from me. It's not a knock on the course, it's just the fact that it's only 9 holes. Ratings are so tough and inevitably subjective.

The cool thing about DGCR is that without even looking, I can tell you that I would definitely enjoy playing the top 200 courses, let alone the top 10. It's been said a million times, but it's really splitting hairs when you're comparing some of these courses and going down to the tenths place, let alone hundredths...

And Mr. Houck, it's always a pleasure to get your insight. I've been looking for the right time to get down to the Selahs and Trey Ranch. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2017, 03:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
And Biscoe, there was a nice little 9 hole on the same property that only got a 3.5 from me. It's not a knock on the course, it's just the fact that it's only 9 holes. Ratings are so tough and inevitably subjective.
Oh- I'm not complaining about the fact that the Queen Center has an average rating. It is a fairly average course- I would not rate it higher than 3 myself. I was just using it as an example to Chuck's point that the best design jobs are not necessarily the best courses. A monkey could design a 4.0 rated course at Hawk Hollow or Lake Marshall, maximizing the quality of a course on a more difficult property is more challenging design-wise.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 196
Niced 944 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I just got to play one recently that had that nice combination of terrain and design... at least to me! Right now it's at 4.89 with 9 reviews, though I'm not sure that will continue to the 20 review threshold. So much fun, though!
I wish it had more pictures, but does look pretty sweet from the few pics.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 131
Niced 289 Times in 213 Posts

Quote:
Oh- I'm not complaining about the fact that the Queen Center has an average rating. It is a fairly average course- I would not rate it higher than 3 myself. I was just using it as an example to Chuck's point that the best design jobs are not necessarily the best courses. A monkey could design a 4.0 rated course at Hawk Hollow or Lake Marshall, maximizing the quality of a course on a more difficult property is more challenging design-wise.
Very true. I guess I'm just agreeing that the number doesn't necessarily imply the designer or design is good or bad.