Old 09-05-2017, 06:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 40 Times in 32 Posts

I love Thunderbirds, but I couldn't keep them in my bag. There wasn't enough of a difference to Teebirds for me and the extra 15 feet wasn't enough to justify them. I think I have a Teebird problem.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2017, 07:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,015 Times in 690 Posts

The Thunderbird is becoming one of my favourite forehand discs. It has the reliability of a distance driver, with the finish of a strong fairway. It's definitely taken a lot of shots away from from my Firebird, Felon, and Destroyers and is my go to in the 280-330' FH range when I need a straight shot that doesn't leak left. This shot I feel the Thunderbird gives me a clear confidence advantage over the Teebird.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 32 Times in 30 Posts

I have turned over my thunderbird, but it takes a vicious head wind. And even then it didn't burn, it slowly worked right. It's not as long as my teebirds but I can lean on it and not worry about it turning, even in moderate wind. But it's so much more workable than my firebird, especially at my arm speed. I don't throw it all the time, but I love this disc.
I have two g*, one in my bag and a back up. They have very similar flights
Old 09-06-2017, 10:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 22
Niced 10 Times in 8 Posts

I've had three thundies and now I'm down to one. Left one on the course and sent another into the drink. Seems I'm only good at losing them and no one is good at returning them either. Other than a little more skip, no real reason for me to throw it with my Teebirds. Gone back to the Orc as my control driver.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 32
Niced 182 Times in 111 Posts

I've had some time to really give my opinion on this mold. It's awesome and has become a big part of my game. I've got a Luster Champion and a Star (both 175) and they are both really OS. In a workable way. The Luster is strictly a FH disc for me now and it is so predictable in the 300-375' range. I can really lay into it and never worry about it flipping or straying from the line. The Star is now my main OS backhand distance driver. I get the same distance BH with it as I do my Wraiths except it's just easier to control and more comfortable to grip. The high glide on this mold is really noticeable. It's described as a longer Teebird but they are more OS than that I think. I've read it described as being between a Teebird and Firebird in stability and that sounds right.

Last edited by Stable; 09-17-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 367 Times in 283 Posts

I have one of those crazy good DX ones that almost feel like stiff KC Pro, and it's money. I don't use it much for fear that it will be lost(and I've heard they no longer have that plastic), but on holes where you need a disc to go straight to fade and go pretty far, it's really good.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:41 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 28
Niced 172 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
I've had some time to really give my opinion on this mold. It's awesome and has become a big part of my game. I've got a Luster Champion and a Star (both 175) and they are both really OS. In a workable way. The Luster is strictly a FH disc for me now and it is so predictable in the 300-375' range. I can really lay into it and never worry about it flipping or straying from the line. The Star is now my main OS backhand distance driver. I get the same distance BH with it as I do my Wraiths except it's just easier to control and more comfortable to grip. The high glide on this mold is really noticeable. It's described as a longer Teebird but they are more OS than that I think. I've read it described as being between a Teebird and Firebird in stability and that sounds right.
This is very similar to my experience with the Thunderbird. At first I got one to use for Teebird-like shots in windy conditions. Then I went from having one Thunderbird to 4 of them: 2 Champs for most FH and workhorse duties, a Star for dependable backhand drives, and a Pro that I've been able to get out to 330' FH with a straight flight to mellow fade. Thunderbirds have taken a lot of shots where I used to throw Teebirds. I still carry Teebirds for straighter finishes and easier to range shots; Thunderbirds for more finish and distance; Firebirds as the OS/utility bookend. Throwing Thunderbirds more often has coincided with me throwing FH more often. I used to throw FH only when necessary; now I throw them almost half the time.

Last edited by SaROCaM; 09-17-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:44 AM

Niced 11 Times in 7 Posts

I used to have a merlot f2 champion thundy that was soooo good. The plastic was slightly opaque. I keep trying to replace it, but none of the current plastic feels as good. I wish I knew what run it came from. I still bag a star and another champ. They both fly wonderful, but just don’t have the magic the other one did. It flew every bit as far as my destroyers but with zero turn. Just flew laser straight with a slight fade.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 73
Niced 112 Times in 72 Posts

I had to put Thunderbirds back in my bag. I still prefer C-Line PDs for forehand shots. I'm going to have to work on flicking my Thunderbirds. I just seem to flick my 3rd run PDs more consistently than Star/Champ Thunderbirds. I played in a doubles tournament at a golf course on Saturday. We tied for 2nd (advanced/open division) but lost in a playoff. It was VERY windy with water on about half the few holes. The first round I wanted to throw a 3rd run C-PD on quite a few tee shots. I didn't throw it because I don't want to lose it. I only have like five 3rd run C-Lines. The second round I put in a Champ & a Star Thunderbird. I knew they were easily replaceable so I actually threw them (plus I have backups). There was a peninsula green over water on a 485' hole. During the second round (in a tailwind) I parked it for a solo deuce with a max weight Champion Thunderbird. I solo deuced 4 holes the second round with a Thunderbird in 30+ mph winds. We went -5 the second round with the hottest second round of the tournament. Thunderbirds are definitely staying in my bag. They're easily replaceable & very consistent discs. I'm feeling a lot more confident in my game now that my bag is stock/easily replaceable, excluding some Star Destroyers.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:09 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 74
Niced 13 Times in 11 Posts

I carry two Thunderbirds. A Champ and a Champ Glow.

The Champ gets a little turn when thrown hard backhand and tends to turn too much to suit me when thrown on longer forehands especially in woodsy tunnel shots which is where I need a long straight line with a right finish.

The Glow Thundy is MUCH more high speed stable. It doesn't turn, at all.

I like the Thunderbird because it glides well, feels fast out of my hand, and is pretty dependable.
It's more dependable than the Culverin, H3, or Saint Pro (even in Opto Moonshine). The Thundy has a more forward penetrating fade than a H2 and doesn't require as much arm speed. The H2 seems to just dump hard at the end.

I love the fact that I can throw it like a TeeBird and it'll go significantly farther.

It's the best control driver I've tried so far. Power it up and reach out near distance driver length without having to worry about skipping off the fairway. Forehands that go a long way without much run-up if I'm stuck in a bad position. It'll handle wind. It's one of the molds I plan on cycling for a full range of stabilities. If I stop losing them...