* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 505 Times in 318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Fuel my lazy nature so I don't have to scroll through this giant thread:

How are Pro Thunderbirds? Even more glide than Star? I think with some seasoning I wouldn't even need to bag Valkyries. Pro plastic is great for BH grip. Help me justify buying even more Thunderbirds.
I've only got a couple of early run Pro Thunderbirds, so not sure about the latest runs. I would say that when fresh they flew very similarly to my Pumpkin Star Thunderbirds (so slightly less overstable than stock Stars): straight to mellow fade. I've gotten one beaten in to some turn, but it took a while; this was a pretty durable run of Pro plastic. I don't think they ever glided all that much more than Star, although they faded less aggressively than the stock stamped Stars.

I've never beat one into quite as much turn as a Valkyrie (although that depends on the run of Valkyrie since those are all over the map). I would guess that the Valk has more lateral movement and also more distance potential than a Pro Thunderbird though.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2018, 11:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 47
Niced 498 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
my Pumpkin Star Thunderbirds (so slightly less overstable than stock Stars)
Just made a trade for another orange one. :dancingbanana:

Niced: (1)
Old 02-01-2018, 11:45 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 17.1
Courses Played: 82
Niced 14 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Fuel my lazy nature so I don't have to scroll through this giant thread:

How are Pro Thunderbirds? Even more glide than Star? I think with some seasoning I wouldn't even need to bag Valkyries. Pro plastic is great for BH grip. Help me justify buying even more Thunderbirds.
I bag three pro thunderbirds at all times, a seasoned one, a newer one, and a backup cause I like to have that security and I like to lose stuff. All 171g. (also have a champ, G*, and star all bagged...) They are my go to drivers in the woods because they can shape about anything you want. The seasoned one will turn over and glide for days if released flat or hyzer flip to straight with minimal fade at the end. I think they can make the same lines as the valk but with more consistency and control; I don't bag valks anymore. The newer one still has quite a bit of late fade which is nice for long hyzers, tight flex shots, or forehands.

As for the Star vs Pro... All the star thunderbirds I have ever thrown are massive meathooks. If you told me they were miss stamped firebirds it would be more believable than calling them thunderbirds. So more glide than the star? Yep pretty much different discs in my experience.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 22
Niced 810 Times in 433 Posts

Anyone know what the latest run of DX Thunderbirds are like?
How do they compare with the first run?
Old 02-01-2018, 08:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 246 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Anyone know what the latest run of DX Thunderbirds are like?
How do they compare with the first run?
Definitely not as flat or stiff. Those first runs were the best DX blend I have ever felt. Have not thrown it yet though.

Last edited by pjhayes7; 02-01-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 24
Niced 13 Times in 7 Posts

Just got a color glow thunderbird to test vs Doombird FD3s. On initial test throws, seem to be very similar with the TB having a hint of high speed turn whereas the FD3 did not. Similar stability, maybe a *touch* less than the FD3.

Has anyone else thrown both of these as a comparison? What are opinions of the CG TBs?
Old 02-05-2018, 06:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 32
Niced 226 Times in 143 Posts

I haven't thrown a color glow Thunderbird yet. I'm assuming you're talking about the new Madison Walker tour series?

I have thrown my Luster Champion Thunderbird alongside my DoomBird enough to note the difference. The DoomBird has more High & Low speed stability. Not drastically different but it's there. The DoomBird also isn't as glidey. That's the biggest difference in my view. Thunderbirds really want to lift right after I throw them.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,294 Times in 878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer93 View Post
Just got a color glow thunderbird to test vs Doombird FD3s. On initial test throws, seem to be very similar with the TB having a hint of high speed turn whereas the FD3 did not. Similar stability, maybe a *touch* less than the FD3.

Has anyone else thrown both of these as a comparison? What are opinions of the CG TBs?
Wait until you can throw them into 10+MPH wind to decide. The ThB will probably glide and possibly track right before finishing quite neutral, whereas I bet the FD3 will fly more similarly to how it does in calm. Thunderbirds handle moderate wind very well, but I bet the differences between these two discs will be more apparent in these situations.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 24
Niced 13 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
I haven't thrown a color glow Thunderbird yet. I'm assuming you're talking about the new Madison Walker tour series?

I have thrown my Luster Champion Thunderbird alongside my DoomBird enough to note the difference. The DoomBird has more High & Low speed stability. Not drastically different but it's there. The DoomBird also isn't as glidey. That's the biggest difference in my view. Thunderbirds really want to lift right after I throw them.
No, this is the Innova Air Force stamped ones from discgolfvalues.com. no signature on it. (Maybe the same thing?)

I can get some decent glide with my fd3, similar to my teebirds. Great wind disc, too. Great points, slow plastic.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 112 Times in 75 Posts

The latest Pro discs I've bought have been great. Grippy and the durability seems improved as well. Have a Thunderbird waiting for the spring, which will replace my first run DX, which has been going strong for years now and is only a tad flippy.