Old 03-21-2018, 02:37 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 36 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
I've asked it before. I'll ask it again.

How are the Pro Thunderbirds right now? I know some Pro plastic runs can be stiffer and some *Starish.
Hard to say, because it probably all depends where you get them from, and how long they've had em in stock. Every pro thunderbird I've had has been $$$. I have a beat in one from about a year ago which is a little softer pro plastic, not super soft though like some pro, and I also have two F2's that are shiny stiffer pro plastic. I love those ones, and they seem to be slightly more durable than the softer pro I have. They almost seems like star, but don't fly anything like a star Thunderbird, they are much more neutral. I honestly think you'll be happy regardless of which ones you get. I should have ordered a couple more of those F2's.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2018, 10:33 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 28 Times in 15 Posts

I have a silky nice Pro right now. Grippy, but not rubbish Pro that gets destroyed and hard after a bit of exposure.

Pro has really become the best 'tweener plastic by a mile. Damn near Star at much lower price.

Icebat is right on though. Best to stick to newer molds to get the good stuff.

This translates to Discmania as well.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-22-2018, 11:13 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just bought a 168g Champion Embossed Thunderbird. The plastic is pretty stiff, and this thing is BEEF. Is that typical of embossed ones? I haven't thrown a Thunderbird in a while but the ones I used to have were pretty straight, like a longer teebird. This one is bordering on firebird territory, which is great since it has a ton more glide than my firebird.

Anyways, I just ordered a 175g penned one to compliment this, hopefully they aren't all beef. It's nice to have a beefy one but I hope they're not all like that now. For what it's worth I throw about 350', 400' max
Old 03-25-2018, 06:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 32
Niced 226 Times in 143 Posts

Got my Pro Thunderbird out to the field today. It's 175g and flat. Not near as stable as my seasoned Star. Right out of the gate this thing has a 9/5/-1/1.5 type flight. No where near as OS as my seasoned Star or especially my Luster Champion. I was getting some huge distance out of it though. I don't have a lot of experience with how Pro plastic seasons. Star has always taken a long while.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 101 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Got my Pro Thunderbird out to the field today. It's 175g and flat. Not near as stable as my seasoned Star. Right out of the gate this thing has a 9/5/-1/1.5 type flight. No where near as OS as my seasoned Star or especially my Luster Champion. I was getting some huge distance out of it though. I don't have a lot of experience with how Pro plastic seasons. Star has always taken a long while.
It will be understable pretty quickly depending on how much you throw it. I have/had a few Pro plastic disc in the last year that lost a good amount of stability pretty dang quick. My Pro Valk (not new Pro plastic, PFN) went from being a gently turn over to fade, to a hyzer flip to anny and never come back disc, over the course of a summer. I had a Pro Tern that went from lazer straight to tailwind driver only, and has since been shelved.

For me, the Star Thunderbird was very OS. Too beefy for me. At least not what I was looking for. The Champion seasoned in very nicely. Been wanting to pair that with a Pro and get them back in the bag. They're a lot like my Convict, just not as squirrely in a slight wind. Although the Culverin has had my eye lol
Old 04-20-2018, 10:47 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 38 Times in 16 Posts

Does anyone have experience with the christmas snowflake stamp pearly thunderbirds? how are they stability wise? i like overstable champ thunderbirds for sidearms.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 25 Times in 20 Posts

How stable are the stock star stamped thunderbirds in comparison to the champ runs?
Old 04-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 7
Niced 166 Times in 110 Posts

I have only thrown the early run stock stamp stars, the really firm and flat runs. They were really quite overstable, more so than the champions.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 149
Niced 378 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
I have only thrown the early run stock stamp stars, the really firm and flat runs. They were really quite overstable, more so than the champions.
I recently picked up some 2018 Sexton Firebirds. I still think they fly pretty similar to my max weight champ Thunderbirds. The Sextons might be a little better handling wobble and OAT.

I'm wondering if those early Star Thunderbirds would have really been comparable to current Sextons.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 61
Niced 25 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I recently picked up some 2018 Sexton Firebirds. I still think they fly pretty similar to my max weight champ Thunderbirds. The Sextons might be a little better handling wobble and OAT.

I'm wondering if those early Star Thunderbirds would have really been comparable to current Sextons.

Idk the first run (bird stamps, two different designs) stars were money.. quite literally. They flew great but they also fetch a high price. To me they were similar to Star teebirds, in that they are slightly less stable and stay straighter for longer than the champ version.