Old 09-25-2018, 04:54 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 257
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 707 Times in 224 Posts

That would still require the an API key for Google Maps so you'd be in the same boat as I am now assuming your site is somewhat popular. Putting it behind the login seems to have helped for now... and hey, maybe more people will sign up
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:16 PM

Years Playing: 0.5
Courses Played: 4
Niced 25 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
That would still require the an API key for Google Maps so you'd be in the same boat as I am now assuming your site is somewhat popular. Putting it behind the login seems to have helped for now... and hey, maybe more people will sign up
I might have to go VIP to check out that road trip option.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 166
Niced 471 Times in 328 Posts

Seems like working only with a log in isn't a problem at all. But then again, I have a login...

Niced: (2)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:57 PM
*Administrator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Seems like working only with a log in isn't a problem at all. But then again, I have a login...
Yea, I just kind of hate cutting people off from that resource, even if all it takes to get to it is like 1 minute to sign up.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 59
Niced 224 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilchurch View Post
I might have to go VIP to check out that road trip option.
Yep, plus the warm fuzzies of helping support the best site on the interwebz...

Old 09-25-2018, 08:25 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 447
Niced 82 Times in 36 Posts

I'm a map guy as I can just look at the map and know where to go without an address or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
With everyone having a phone and some sort of mapping/GPS app, are maps here even that vital? I understand they a convenient way to sate the curious mind, as to where a course is, while browsing, but are people using this site on their phone to get to courses while driving?

I generally write down an address or local direction, in its absence, and go the the GPS in my car. Maybe I am missing how maps are used here.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:34 PM

Courses Played: 6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Static Images

Can you generate static map previews into images rather get than use a dynamic map load? You could do this once daily so that free users get an image, but on click need a login or premium access to pan and zoom. You could even have a click through go to a larger map image. You’d then have a fixed number of map loads per day except for premium users.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:19 AM
*Administrator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
Can you generate static map previews into images rather get than use a dynamic map load? You could do this once daily so that free users get an image, but on click need a login or premium access to pan and zoom. You could even have a click through go to a larger map image. You’d then have a fixed number of map loads per day except for premium users.
You're not allowed to save static images from any of the map providers, it's against their TOS. I've found a developer to help out with converting the map to a few different providers so I should be able to hop around a bit if it all works as planned and get off the Google train for most mapping purposes on the site.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:05 PM

Courses Played: 6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
You're not allowed to save static images from any of the map providers, it's against their TOS.
Yes, that makes sense. I run a map for something else entirely that uses OSM and is free. I probably don't have the load you do though.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:28 PM
*Administrator*

So good news on this front, all the maps are almost converted to a new provider so I'll be able to move the browse map back out from behind a login. They're not live yet but I'm thinking next week things will switch over. It's amazing how many people registered for accounts after I had to do that, like 40-60 new people daily if not more. I guess a lot of people used the map and just never bother signing into the site.

Also, the little static map will be coming back for everyone. I've found a way to create them using open source maps (where I can save the images). I've been working on it a bunch today and almost should have it complete in the next few days. They aren't as pretty as the Google static images but they're free so there's that. I'll leave the Google one up for premium members because why not.

Below is an example of what they'll look like using the open source maps. There might be some weird centering issues on occasion or markers might be cut off at the top of the screen or something since I have no way to tell what's in view. Google had a function for that and I kind of fudged my own so it's probably not as slick.

Attached Images
File Type: gif staticmap.gif (31.5 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by timg; 10-11-2018 at 07:26 PM.