Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 58 Times in 25 Posts

I was just wondering... is there a way that TimG could make Extreme courses something that is searchable on the main site? Like maybe have there be a button to click during the review?

Old 09-22-2018, 06:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 286
Niced 1,632 Times in 843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
The Ozark Mt Trio is hard to beat.
Indeed it is.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 133
Niced 162 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefraba1 View Post
I was just wondering... is there a way that TimG could make Extreme courses something that is searchable on the main site? Like maybe have there be a button to click during the review?
I like this idea. I would always start out my vacation and road trip planning with a search of quality "extreme" courses and then add on from there.

I love courses that push you both with quality dg and a bit of grinding physical challenge. It's definitely a factor I take into consideration when I'm designing new holes and laying things out at Hidden Ridge.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:20 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 21
Niced 72 Times in 28 Posts

Old 10-12-2018, 09:14 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 40.6
Courses Played: 1313
Niced 122 Times in 51 Posts

Dragon Ridge in Candenton, Missouri is very extreme and features one of roughest sections anywhere. Holes 6-9 have a sign stating that this is a dangerous section and players should be in good physical condition and be wearing proper footwear. So the Valk Kid who failed on both conditions soldiered on. Hole 6 plays down a super steep hill with a goat trail leading down and then 7-8-9 play up this rock strewn ravine filled with the worst jagged rocks one can imagine. Had I had known it was anywhere this bad, I would have skipped this section in a heartbeat.

This hole course is covered with sharp, jagged rocks making walking anywhere treacherous. Previous reviewers tell stories of young, healthy players in their groups twisting ankles and skinning knees.

Back to my experience with this section. I somehow managed not to fall, scrape or multilate my decrepid old body in any way.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Niced 41 Times in 29 Posts

I played Idlewild in 2000, back just after it opened. It was one of the first courses I ever played. Somehow, I kept going. It is tough now but back then, it wasn't "beat in" and half an inch off the fairway and you were in massive schule. The course now is absolute cake compared to what it was then. Same hole layout, too!

Niced: (1)
Old 10-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 461
Niced 410 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valkyrie Kid View Post
Dragon Ridge in Candenton, Missouri is very extreme and features one of roughest sections anywhere. Holes 6-9 have a sign stating that this is a dangerous section and players should be in good physical condition and be wearing proper footwear. So the Valk Kid who failed on both conditions soldiered on. Hole 6 plays down a super steep hill with a goat trail leading down and then 7-8-9 play up this rock strewn ravine filled with the worst jagged rocks one can imagine. Had I had known it was anywhere this bad, I would have skipped this section in a heartbeat.

This hole course is covered with sharp, jagged rocks making walking anywhere treacherous. Previous reviewers tell stories of young, healthy players in their groups twisting ankles and skinning knees.

Back to my experience with this section. I somehow managed not to fall, scrape or multilate my decrepid old body in any way.

The Boneyard is a course built on an old copper mine and the course description advises wearing long pants. However, it was hot out the day I played, so I didn't change into the long pants I brought and wore my shorts. My legs were scratched and bloody by the time I reached the third tee.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 133
Niced 162 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer93 View Post
I played Idlewild in 2000, back just after it opened. It was one of the first courses I ever played. Somehow, I kept going. It is tough now but back then, it wasn't "beat in" and half an inch off the fairway and you were in massive schule. The course now is absolute cake compared to what it was then. Same hole layout, too!
Lol. I did the same thing. I had been playing nothing but Boone Woods for a year or so when I heard there was a brand new course just down the road. I wasn't aware of all the other local courses yet so I was stoked.

I fought my way through that beast and only lost 1 of my 3 discs. You're dead on about the rough, it was all narrow fairway, then a freaking wall of honeysuckle, grapevine, and stickers once you got off the line. Just brutal. Maintenance crews did mow ALL the grass up and down old 15, so at least there was that going for me.

I remember thinking, "this is really dumb, why would anyone play this crap, it's miserable?". Now it's my favorite and we play it more than any other local course.

Niced: (1)

Old 10-12-2018, 11:19 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 131
Niced 47 Times in 27 Posts

I know it doesn't compare to the mountain courses out west, or even some here in NC, but this past weekend I got to play

Richmond Hill in Asheville

As you know from reviews, about a third of the holes play across a deep ravine. Its cleared out very well, and even has steps in a few spots, but still pretty extreme to climb several times. The cool part is 17 runs right up the heart of the ravine.
The course is in great shape now, no long pants required.

I also got to play Robert L Smith in Charlotte last week. Its listed as a physically demanding course, but that is really just the first 4 holes, all very overgrown. I thought about packing it in after #2, but glad I didn't, 5-17 were in great shape. 18 had a steep downhill walk (guess I missed the trail), but it was manageable.