Old 10-11-2018, 03:30 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 358 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Had some fun with this today at the field. I don't know am I doing this right, but it atleast feels like the thing I've been missing from my throw from the day I started throwing plastic. In ball golf I always had a feeling that when I hit the ball really hard, the energy I put into the hit transfers to ball with relatively good %. In disc golf 90% of that energy just seems to disappear up untill this session.

Took a stack of putters, decided to forget everything I think I know about throwing and only focus on keeping my shoulder closed and arc infront of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__PDauojchY

It felt like I suddenly started to hit my "opponent" (disc) with a baseball bat instead of a feather duster and those putters went 260ft with no follow through, no xstep, no nothing... Is this the right feeling, excecution? All advice welcome.
YES!!!!!

Money!!!

Stretch it out BIGGG!!! LOOKK!!! Look at your front pivot leg!! Just perfect. The arc creates a perfect plant leg rotation, not the other way around.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2018, 04:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 96 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Had some fun with this today at the field. I don't know am I doing this right, but it atleast feels like the thing I've been missing from my throw from the day I started throwing plastic. In ball golf I always had a feeling that when I hit the ball really hard, the energy I put into the hit transfers to ball with relatively good %. In disc golf 90% of that energy just seems to disappear up untill this session.

Took a stack of putters, decided to forget everything I think I know about throwing and only focus on keeping my shoulder closed and arc infront of me.

It felt like I suddenly started to hit my "opponent" (disc) with a baseball bat instead of a feather duster and those putters went 260ft with no follow through, no xstep, no nothing... Is this the right feeling, excecution? All advice welcome.
Very nice! There was like zero wobble on that disc... clean!

Niced: (2)
Old 10-12-2018, 06:03 AM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 11 Posts

What exactly is the method to creating this big arc. I thought I had it, but really I was just doing a wide rail into my normal arc. I understand what we are trying to achieve as well but I don't know if my execution is on. What's the best way to just doing it? So we need to keep lower arm pointed left of target. So does this mean from reachback, we pull the elbow joint to 10:30. The line between reachback and 10:30 seems like it'd hit your left pec unless you stagger your back foot back a bit. Is that how it's supposed to feel? That'd you pull into and collide with the left side of your left arm if you weren't standing staggered? So combine this with a wide rail type reachback, you reach away from your body, now you rotate the body which rotates the locked shoulder, which rotates your elbow joint. Now your lower arm starts to bend from reachback onwards. And it bends to put the Disc near your left arm and somewhat inside your body? Then you crush the can, and continue rotating, back foot coming off the ground, you now consciously think? Elbow left of target and try to point that way?
Old 10-12-2018, 10:18 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 358 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusted View Post
What exactly is the method to creating this big arc. I thought I had it, but really I was just doing a wide rail into my normal arc. I understand what we are trying to achieve as well but I don't know if my execution is on. What's the best way to just doing it? So we need to keep lower arm pointed left of target. So does this mean from reachback, we pull the elbow joint to 10:30. The line between reachback and 10:30 seems like it'd hit your left pec unless you stagger your back foot back a bit. Is that how it's supposed to feel? That'd you pull into and collide with the left side of your left arm if you weren't standing staggered? So combine this with a wide rail type reachback, you reach away from your body, now you rotate the body which rotates the locked shoulder, which rotates your elbow joint. Now your lower arm starts to bend from reachback onwards. And it bends to put the Disc near your left arm and somewhat inside your body? Then you crush the can, and continue rotating, back foot coming off the ground, you now consciously think? Elbow left of target and try to point that way?
You are trying to learn something new while applying seven other concepts. I suggest you put the disc down. And swing both arms over your right hip. Just stand on your lead leg, and swing wide as you can swing them, to start. Slow back and forth in a wide arc, then make the swing in faster with your lead arm... Faster, faster, release the angle through the 10 o'clock. You will see your elbow collapse from lag as you rotate quickly forward.

That is all the reach back is really, is a setup to swing in a wide arc around your lead hip joint that starts with a lag force that bends the elbow.

That is all it has ever been... All this time.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-13-2018, 05:32 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:

How u generate lower body power looks good to me; legs first, then hips, then bonfire (called that?), then shoulders..... Looks like you gather the energy together in the final release. Seems like bat feeling is the right one. I have the same feeling and have improved tremendously; I don't give a **** about back reach (look at fin Seppo Paju, top 5 in length) but get the arc and a lot more disc rotation, and consistancy in direction. And length, due to glide and keeping it airborne. One thing u can improve I think is keeping the arm/disc lower to be in a stronger more powerful acceleration position and hence get even greater length. What do you think (after trying)...?

Old 10-14-2018, 04:38 AM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
You are trying to learn something new while applying seven other concepts. I suggest you put the disc down. And swing both arms over your right hip. Just stand on your lead leg, and swing wide as you can swing them, to start. Slow back and forth in a wide arc, then make the swing in faster with your lead arm... Faster, faster, release the angle through the 10 o'clock. You will see your elbow collapse from lag as you rotate quickly forward.

That is all the reach back is really, is a setup to swing in a wide arc around your lead hip joint that starts with a lag force that bends the elbow.

That is all it has ever been... All this time.
Been practicing what you suggested there. It's similar to dingle arm drills that I've tried before to get that whip arm feeling. But now with the focus on the swinging (hip rotation) and what it does to the elbow bend. In that it wants to bend on its own and come narrow on its own. Then continuing hip rotation you can choose when to unload/uncock your elbow joint to create the arc. An arc that starts near the left pec/left arm is what I feel mostly, but I think you want it starting near center chest from what I see in videos. Anyways, when your elbow reaches 10:30, at that point you start unloading/uncocking the elbow and starting the arc? Or is it at 10:30 you elbow is already extended and your arm is straight, which means the elbow extension happens before 10:30 at some point?