Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 10-17-2021, 08:27 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 178 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
No, go read my responses on page 2. What I’ve intended to say (and I think I have) is that the Ferris wheel metaphor works really well for a swing thought, but you don’t want a swing thought when you’re competing (aka - not practicing).

On top of that, I also think it’s difficult to focus for long periods of time. The focus itself ALSO takes practice. Clearing your mind of the swing is not easy.

I think we agree more than not…
I think this is spot on.

As for the focus, it does take practice. Some players imagine a window in the sky, knowing if they hit it they will land in a good spot. But a target to focus on, can also be a flagpole, tree, church steeple, or any number of things.

You don’t need to focus for long periods at a time, only when it’s your shot. Between shots focusing on any part of your game isn’t necessary, and can actually be exhausting.
The book Nick P. referenced talks about this.

The author also speaks toward developing a pre-shot routine, to help internalize switching your focus on and off as needed.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-17-2021, 09:20 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 497 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby snack View Post
I think this is spot on.

As for the focus, it does take practice. Some players imagine a window in the sky, knowing if they hit it they will land in a good spot. But a target to focus on, can also be a flagpole, tree, church steeple, or any number of things.

You don’t need to focus for long periods at a time, only when it’s your shot. Between shots focusing on any part of your game isn’t necessary, and can actually be exhausting.

The author also speaks toward developing a pre-shot routine, to help internalize switching your focus on and off as needed.
Yeah, golf is not a game of perfect is a good read. One thing I do try to do is maintain a “quiet eye” during my round. I stay calm, mindful, and relaxed… try to avoid anxious thoughts about shots I haven’t walked up to yet, but also be strategic and ready to respond to the situation in the moment. It’s an important balance that’s personal to everyone and requires practice like anything else.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:03 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 862 Times in 395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby snack View Post
I think this is spot on.

It took me awhile to figure out exactly why focusing on a target just before and during your swing was so important. I was always the belief that I can hit targets involuntarily and that I don't need to even think about it. But that was never the point. One of the main reasons, perhaps the most important one, to focus on your target isn't just because it helps you hit it. Focusing on your target distracts you away from thinking about swing thoughts and mechanics. Even though you don't need to think about your target to hit it, you should anyways because it's a surefire way to get your mind away from mechanical thoughts.

This is VERY helpful with putting too. I used to pride myself on the idea that I didn't even have to aim, that I could close my eyes and hit the pole. But it's not just about aim.....when you aim for a target, you're not thinking about swing thoughts or mechanics, and your natural athletic motion will take over because your mind is focused on something else - the target.

Now I always think of the pole and hitting it when I'm putting, and let my body swing free and aggressive towards when putting. Works like a charm, I don't have any distracting mechanical thoughts about this or that when I'm putting.

Niced: (2)

Old 10-18-2021, 12:02 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 178 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
It took me awhile to figure out exactly why focusing on a target just before and during your swing was so important. I was always the belief that I can hit targets involuntarily and that I don't need to even think about it. But that was never the point. One of the main reasons, perhaps the most important one, to focus on your target isn't just because it helps you hit it. Focusing on your target distracts you away from thinking about swing thoughts and mechanics. Even though you don't need to think about your target to hit it, you should anyways because it's a surefire way to get your mind away from mechanical thoughts.

This is VERY helpful with putting too. I used to pride myself on the idea that I didn't even have to aim, that I could close my eyes and hit the pole. But it's not just about aim.....when you aim for a target, you're not thinking about swing thoughts or mechanics, and your natural athletic motion will take over because your mind is focused on something else - the target.

Now I always think of the pole and hitting it when I'm putting, and let my body swing free and aggressive towards when putting. Works like a charm, I don't have any distracting mechanical thoughts about this or that when I'm putting.
That’s funny you say this because I went through the same process.

I used to think I could hit my lines without a specific target. But my accuracy has increased since focusing on a target, and it’s a great mechanism to avoid thinking about swing mechanics, like you mentioned.

If something in my swing feels off during a round, I sort it out later in a practice session.

Niced: (1)