Old 10-15-2021, 09:21 AM

Niced 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Bastage View Post
The don't squish the bug argument is very compelling and I have been trying to follow that teaching. Then Slingshot comes along squishing the bug and throwing far so I consider it.
If you watch how Slingshot's throw for reals (dude rips), he doesn't squish the bug. https://youtu.be/pay_pKkjG10?t=36
Which I think is part of the frustration, at least for me, is that he does not do what he teaches. Or he is squishing bugs and I know nothing!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-15-2021, 09:56 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 497 Times in 218 Posts

The amount of people out there teaching to spin/twist/turn the hips right now is mind boggling. It's really unfortunate.

I don't know which is worse:

The people who teach spinning and can throw well (they just don't understand or can't articulate what they're doing)

-or-

The people who teach spinning and can't throw at all (totally delusional cult leader—or beginner with lots of misinformation?)

Old 10-15-2021, 10:30 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 47
Niced 170 Times in 115 Posts

SW posted these videos elsewhere and I think they are pretty conclusive on whether or not someone should "squish the bug" in baseball pitching/hitting and the disc golf throw. Spoiler alert--they shouldn't.

Old 10-15-2021, 04:54 PM

Niced 14 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
SW posted these videos elsewhere and I think they are pretty conclusive on whether or not someone should "squish the bug" in baseball pitching/hitting and the disc golf throw. Spoiler alert--they shouldn't.

Does driving the triple extension mean that you should be thinking about pushing up with your back leg off the X-step? I don't know how to generate more ground forces as I'm traveling down the tee pad. The weight on my back side usually feels pretty weak, so I don't have much left to push off.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 248
Niced 6,084 Times in 3,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sard0nyx View Post
Does driving the triple extension mean that you should be thinking about pushing up with your back leg off the X-step? I don't know how to generate more ground forces as I'm traveling down the tee pad. The weight on my back side usually feels pretty weak, so I don't have much left to push off.
Not really pushing or driving upward. Driving forward after you squat/fall/drop and leg angles forward(shifting from behind you). Think of your leg more as a pogo stick that changes angles against the ground \ / as it compresses and extends.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Bastage View Post
After all the reading, watching videos {pros throwing, pros teaching, SW, Overthrow, Slingshot, etc.), practicing, recording my throw, practicing more, I still do not use my core well enough, so these type of threads really interest me. They also confuse me.

I know feel ain't real so what some describe they do is not actually what they do - pros are about the worst for this - which can lead to advice that is probably not the best, so I try to keep this in mind when taking in any teachings.

The don't squish the bug argument is very compelling and I have been trying to follow that teaching. Then Slingshot comes along squishing the bug and throwing far so I consider it.

In doing so, I came across this article that I thought was very interesting :

https://www.dacbaseball.com/to-squis...quish-the-bug/

"And, not to be forgotten, squish the bug or don’t squish the bug, it really doesn’t matter."

Thoughts?
The pros are actually showing the correct motion slowed down which is a forward move.

If you squish the bug and spin the rear foot out, then you are losing leverage.

vs

Niced: (3)
Old 10-17-2021, 10:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 720 Times in 340 Posts

After a round with some buddies I stuck around the course and was working on my backhand timing. Couple things really started to click, and I just don’t see how people say the spin and throw is legit.

I’d pretty much been practicing the dingle arm throw and not even really taking a small step forward, so that was the focus today. I found out real quick it worked best when I was getting a bit more hip turn initially, so my left cheek (rhbh) was facing the target as the “backswing” was beginning. That movement with a little bit of left knee bend gets the butt sticking out a bit and you can feel the pressure on the outside of the left foot. You don’t even really have to do much with the right foot, almost just pick it up and let it drift targetward a bit, toe hits, can gets crushed, and you can really feel the compression of the front leg.

I think the most difficult part is slowing the backswing down so the disc is still lagging behind once you get right foot compression and then the brace. Or it seemed like in order to make the backswing as slow as possible you really really had to focus on a passive throwing arm and let the hip turn move the hand and disc back on its own.

People tend to think of griplocks as late releases, but to me it seems like the opposite? Not necessarily an early release, but the disc coming forward prematurely compared to the brace, so once your front leg is actually braced the disc is way too far along the throwing lotion and once you pinch down on your grip it ejects out at 45 degrees. If the disc was further back once you were braced and then pinched down it would release straight targetward. Does that make sense?

Niced: (1)
Old 10-18-2021, 08:53 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 54 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
The amount of people out there teaching to spin/twist/turn the hips right now is mind boggling. It's really unfortunate.

I don't know which is worse:

The people who teach spinning and can throw well (they just don't understand or can't articulate what they're doing)
The most basic exercise on that site is to tuck and spin, with loose arm and with a step onto the forward foot. It's possible to do that as squish the bug which is probably the intent, or as a braced front leg, or anywhere in between. I'd guess it's not surprising that people can get results, especially since videos of Paige doing her helicopter spin and Ezra are held up as examples.

Add some natural athleticism (something I lack) and when they start to throw hard they probably do it correctly.

I watched Ezra frame by frame after the earlier discussion, and it looks to me like there is no deliberate tuck into the power pocket. His arm stays straight until the shoulder starts to rotate and then if the arm doesn't fight it, the tuck happens by geometry. That's different from the tuck and spin teaching. I think.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Seems to makes sense why those that advocate leaning back and reaching out with the front leg also advocate spinning and argue against linear drive and bracing.