Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments & Leagues

View Poll Results: Is pay per view at US dgc a good idea or not?
Yes 32 22.07%
No 113 77.93%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2021, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 720 Times in 340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
IMO Innova is probably not just straight up trying to maximize income from the one event but trying to feel out where the market is today without losing money on it. USDGC has historically had a large component of experimentation attached to it and this seems like more of it to me.
I agree with this 100%. It was either $20 last year for live or $30 if you wanted live and condensed coverage and this year’s $25 fell right between the two. I believe it was only $10 in 2019, more of a proof of concept that people would pay for coverage.

I agree with 3P also, they’ve sunk tons of money into this event over the years and I don’t perceive the ppv as a blatant cash grab. More like using any means to help recoup some of that money. Prop up the event solely on your own as more prestigious than World’s and then use that as a basis to ask people to pay in order to view your event.

It’ll definitely be an interesting dynamic the next few years with DGPT, DGN, the tournaments themselves, and post production companies. I personally still think the plan behind DGN is to grow it as fast as possible over the next few years and sell it to an actual big time media company.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Old 10-20-2021, 03:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,422 Times in 722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
I agree with this 100%. It was either $20 last year for live or $30 if you wanted live and condensed coverage and this year’s $25 fell right between the two. I believe it was only $10 in 2019, more of a proof of concept that people would pay for coverage.

I agree with 3P also, they’ve sunk tons of money into this event over the years and I don’t perceive the ppv as a blatant cash grab. More like using any means to help recoup some of that money. Prop up the event solely on your own as more prestigious than World’s and then use that as a basis to ask people to pay in order to view your event.

It’ll definitely be an interesting dynamic the next few years with DGPT, DGN, the tournaments themselves, and post production companies. I personally still think the plan behind DGN is to grow it as fast as possible over the next few years and sell it to an actual big time media company.
Who set the price point? Innova or DGN? My assumption was that the price point was set by DGN, after DGN purchased the right to run it as a PPV from Innova. But, obviously: ass, u, me.