Old 03-01-2019, 08:13 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 77 Times in 38 Posts

I used to have the same issue throwing forehand. I couldn't play more than a few holes without my arm and shoulder giving me a lot of pain. I changed my grip, and haven't had a problem since.

My grip used to be like this:https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...1&d=1551441994

The palm of the hand has a more upward face.
I changed my grip to this:https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...1&d=1551441994

The palm faces forward. I haven't had a problem since I switched.

Try this without throwing. with your palm up, reach back like you are going to throw. It feels like a chicken wing. Then try it with palm forward. This feels more natural. It took me a couple throws to dial in my accuracy but now I'm better than what I had been.

Hope this helps. And hopefully my images went thru
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190301_064402.jpg (130.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20190301_064307.jpg (88.2 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 36 Times in 19 Posts

I would take a few weeks off and see if it gets better, if not go to the doctor. I have to take about 2 or 3 weeks off during the summer to let my arm heal up. When I come back I have about 30-50ft added to my throws. A healthy rested arm will do wonders for your game.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 148 Times in 80 Posts

You have inflammation going on. You have injured yourself by throwing frisbees. Take some time off! Seriously. You probably need to take at least 4 weeks. While you are taking time off to heal, you can help yourself out by eating an anti-inflammatory diet. Or at least staying away from foods(red meat for example) that can make your inflammation worse.

You can go to the doctor. All they are going to do is give you a prescription for Motrin 800 and tell you to take it easy until it heals.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,730 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
You have inflammation going on. You have injured yourself by throwing frisbees. Take some time off! Seriously. You probably need to take at least 4 weeks. While you are taking time off to heal, you can help yourself out by eating an anti-inflammatory diet. Or at least staying away from foods(red meat for example) that can make your inflammation worse.

You can go to the doctor. All they are going to do is give you a prescription for Motrin 800 and tell you to take it easy until it heals.
Well.....not exactly. Depending upon the pain, location and examination, the doc may very well prescribe some imaging to determine if there is any actual damage, outside of inflammation. While rest and Motrin will help if it is an inflammatory process, ignoring the problem and have a rupture, tear or separation could very well cause longer term problems. Determining the issue is always a better care plan, before issuing a course of treatment for the symptoms.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 148 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Well.....not exactly. Depending upon the pain, location and examination, the doc may very well prescribe some imaging to determine if there is any actual damage, outside of inflammation. While rest and Motrin will help if it is an inflammatory process, ignoring the problem and have a rupture, tear or separation could very well cause longer term problems. Determining the issue is always a better care plan, before issuing a course of treatment for the symptoms.
An Xray most likely won't tell them anything. Then what? MRI? Hope you have good insurance OP!
Old 03-01-2019, 03:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,730 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
An Xray most likely won't tell them anything. Then what? MRI? Hope you have good insurance OP!
No, you are correct. I don't think the OP has broken anything, so an MRI would likely be the prescribed imaging. Insurance and the cost of health care suck, but so does permanent damage to a body part that you want to use for your passion. Risk/reward.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:54 PM
Lefty Activist

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 37 Times in 13 Posts

OK, so let me clear a few things up here.

First off, I am NOT going to throw with my right arm. That's for the rest of you fascist fascists, YOU'LL NEVER CHANGE MEEEE!!!

Second, I don't play very often anymore, so this pain hasn't(necessarilly) been caused by playing disc golf. I maybe get in two rounds a month now, and was less than that for a while. I WANT to play more, which is why I'm hoping to tackle this pain problem! As I said in OP, I am EXTREMELY left-arm dominant in all things, from carrying groceries to unloading laundry to... well, it's more than just chores I can assure you. Went walking the neighborhood last night and carried my drink in my right hand, which just felt so STRANGE but I'm trying to use my right arm and hand more often to let the left rest.

Also, I should note -- a few years ago, we were playing in a group and one of our guys threw a terrible shot. As we all start walking down the fairway, he decides in anger to throw another shot, full force, and his disc hit my elbow on perfect target. I couldn't finish the round, I couldn't play for more than a month, but once the swelling went down, I didn't have any lingering pain. That was maybe 5-7 years ago? BUT it did get me thinking about it recently, if it actually did some true damage or something.

I do wear an elbow brace now, almost religiously. I can't tell if it helps yet, but I'm keeping it on.

I will look into an anti-inflammatory diet -- but for kicks, any recommendations?

Niced: (1)
Old 03-01-2019, 04:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,370 Times in 2,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettUA View Post

Also, I should note -- a few years ago, we were playing in a group and one of our guys threw a terrible shot. As we all start walking down the fairway, he decides in anger to throw another shot, full force, and his disc hit my elbow on perfect target. I couldn't finish the round, I couldn't play for more than a month, but once the swelling went down, I didn't have any lingering pain. That was maybe 5-7 years ago? BUT it did get me thinking about it recently, if it actually did some true damage or something.

I do wear an elbow brace now, almost religiously. I can't tell if it helps yet, but I'm keeping it on.

I will look into an anti-inflammatory diet -- but for kicks, any recommendations?
Do you get a "locking" in the elbow ever? Like if you are leaning on it for several minutes, then try to straighten it but it just locks into place? A disc to the arm like that could easily cause a bone chip and that is one way to determine if you have one. Bone chips are a weird thing, it can not bother you for long periods of time, then one day jostling it or just overuse can cause it to move around and get inflamed. My middle brother got one in high school from getting whacked by a fastball. Dealt with it for years before it finally became an issue once he started playing golf more regularly...
Old 03-01-2019, 04:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 68
Niced 145 Times in 80 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we4UoiKG3Co&t=227s

Old 03-01-2019, 11:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 154
Niced 635 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettUA View Post
-- but for kicks, any recommendations?
Best thing you can do (IMO) is ice the sh** out of it, and when you get tired of that, ice it some more.