Old 04-01-2019, 06:53 PM

Courses Played: 29
Niced 13 Times in 5 Posts

I hate finding discs with just a PDGA. I used to try and hunt them down through social media but I don't have a Facebook and it was a damn nuisance trying to use my wife's account so I stopped doing it. Nowadays I just cruise by league night on occasion and ask if anybody knows the guy/gal. That usually works well-ish. If I ask a couple of regulars and nobody knows them it goes into the donate pile.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-01-2019, 07:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 532 Times in 288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I put my PDGA number on my discs. Far more for a unique identifier than for return.
Do you expect someone who might find your disc to jump through hoops to try to track you down and return it?
Old 04-01-2019, 07:59 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 791 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorpro View Post
Does anyone no a way to contact someone when all you have is a pdga number. I found a disk all inked up a ft er an ace. I would like to get it back to the owner. All he had on it was a pdga number. I looked it up and got a name and town but is there any way to contact someone through that?
Could be worse, using just a first name and nothing else on a disc. This happened in Maryland with Wisp Deep Ski resort in 2009, I had found when looking for my mom's disc a older just beat in to the sweet spot 11x KC Pro Aviar with rainbow stamp in the classic white/ivory, the run with the slight rubbery plastic. I knew at the time in 2009 the plastic was worth big money as they stopped making that 11x/12x about 5 years prior and made it as just a KC Aviar twelve time spelled out after that. I bet it was a rich guy as that is a pay to play course who had a ton of that KC Aviar plastic. My brother ended up with finding a Wisp stamped Disc on that course well that he kept after he landed that last ending shot down the ski hill on the roof of the main building. I gave the KC Aviar to my mom to use she had a Classic Grid Aviar from the late 1990's with the microbead. I used Magnets by thn and the Lighting #2 upshot in Prostyle. I still do use Magnets and a similar mold from DGA just different plastic from then, still exact same Lighting #2 Upshot in Prostyle (rubbery Prostyle is just super durable for blunt nosed disc golf discs).
Old 04-01-2019, 08:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,730 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
Do you expect someone who might find your disc to jump through hoops to try to track you down and return it?
Absolutely not. There are people out there who have, and karma points to them, but if I lose a disc, I write it off when I walk away.

Around here, someone might look for the name on PDGA and throw a comment up on the course page on Disc Golf Scene or shoot me a PM on the same site. But, DGS is very heavily used in this part of the country.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 96
Niced 327 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
I've actually stopped putting my phone number on my discs. I get so many scam phone calls, that I really don't like my number being out there anymore.

I write "DGCoursereview.com JuanA" on all my discs. That way if someone finds it, they can contact me here, and if they've never heard of the forum before...well now they have.
I've returned lots of discs. But if a disc doesn't have a means of contact on it, I'm just not going to spend a whole lot of time trying to return it.

The only phone calls I've gotten because of writing it on my discs are calls from people who find them.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,728 Times in 560 Posts

I only put PDGA #. I absolutely hate having ink on my discs. If I lose a disc, it's because I expected to (water shot, blind throw new course, gambling line, etc and I carry expendable discs for those shots). I don't expect anyone to go through hoops to track me down. I have had a few unexpected returns thanks to diligent sleuths, so that was nice.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 244 Times in 135 Posts

Any disc I find with no number, just a PDGA number, or name (that I don't recognize) and PDGA number gets placed on top of the basket of the hole I found it on. Not interested in spending time hunting down contact information over a Frisbee.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Niced 1,728 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post
Not interested in spending time hunting down contact information over a Frisbee.

I hear ya. If people are using Frisbees playing disc golf, maybe losing it is the best thing that could happen to them.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 244 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
I hear ya. If people are using Frisbees playing disc golf, maybe losing it is the best thing that could happen to them.

It's not real golf, it's ball golf. Reeeeeeeeeeee.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,370 Times in 2,306 Posts

I think I've gotten more calls back about discs that I have sold after using than the discs I actually lost myself. Once got a text about a disc that I sold a friend and that he lost at Mt Airy, Ohio during the first round he had it. The disc was found 2 years later in a pond in Virginia...