Old 04-12-2019, 10:04 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 195 Times in 61 Posts
Default 2019 Worlds - Peoria

So, I made plans to head to Peoria for Worlds...the first two pro events I saw live were Worlds in Vermont and USDGC in South Carolina last year...

Loved Vermont...what a facility, two totally different courses on one property...both courses were beautiful...gorgeous surroundings as well...I tend to prefer wooded courses, so preferred Brewster Ridge...

USDGC, I liked a lot but not as much...great event, testing course...but 1 course, surrounded by suburbia, and holes 7-14 were just open holes surrounded by ropes (there were some at Fox Run as well, but you had great views of mountains, at USDGC you have buildings, sidewalks, etc.)

So, anyone who has been there, what should my expectations be for Peoria?

Seems like two very different courses (Eureka and Northwoods)...like Vermont, one more wooded and one more open...on alternating days, like Vermont (3 at Eureka, 2 at Northwoods)...

I'm planning on attending rounds 2 through 5...

Is this going to feel like a step down from Smugglers Notch?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 312 Times in 165 Posts

They’re nice courses but yes, it will probably feel like a step down from Vermont. This coming from someone who has played the Peoria courses and only watched Vermont on video.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,748 Times in 566 Posts

Old 04-13-2019, 09:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Niced 3,839 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
They’re nice courses but yes, it will probably feel like a step down from Vermont. This coming from someone who has played the Peoria courses and only watched Vermont on video.
I expect, especially from a spectator/outside observer perspective, the simple fact that things won't be contained in one location will be a "step down" from the experience at Smuggs (or USDGC). Having everything in one place just makes it feel bigger, even if in every other way, it isn't.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:24 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 73
Niced 1,309 Times in 315 Posts

The courses at the big tourneys in Peoria are very far apart, so plan on looking at a lot of corn from two-lane farm highways while driving from one place to another.

At Ledgestone last year, we put a lot of miles on the car going from Sunset Hills (way to the south) to play, for FP40 check-in, for the fly-mart, and to Northwoods (off in some other direction) to play, and to Lake Eureka (off in yet another direction) for FPO check-in. To make it worse, we made the rookie mistake of staying in a central location in Peoria proper, so everything we needed to do that was tournament-related was a 40-50-minute drive. It adds up.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:37 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 170
Niced 728 Times in 333 Posts

Just make sure you go play McNaughton. Thats the best course in Peoria and they dont use it for worlds or ledgestone anymore because there is limited cell service. The city itself doesnt have a lot to offer so it makes it easy to stay focused on disc golf.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 135
Niced 41 Times in 20 Posts

Nova P makes some good points, although it's not all corn ... there are lots of soybeans as well. Morton would be a good place to stay, as you would be right next to Northwood Park, and pretty much right in the middle between Eureka and Sunset Hills. You should also try to play Westwood (Megiddo) while you are there ... my favorite course in the area, and super convenient if you stay in Morton. McNaughton, as Horsman recommended, is also a good one, and you could try to play it on the way to/from Sunset Hills if you go there.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Sunset Hills, but you should definitely plan to watch at least one round of FPO. Catch them at Northwood in Round 3 if you don't want to venture out to Sunset ... MPO Pool B will also play there that day, but on the "gold" version of the course.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-16-2019, 08:57 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 195 Times in 61 Posts

Thanks for the input...

Am planning on hitting McNaughton and Megiddo...is Wildlife Prarie worth it?

I'm planning on tent camping at Millpoint, if there are better tent camping options, let me know...
Old 04-17-2019, 10:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 174
Niced 74 Times in 24 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ElementZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Just make sure you go play McNaughton. Thats the best course in Peoria and they dont use it for worlds or ledgestone anymore because there is limited cell service. The city itself doesnt have a lot to offer so it makes it easy to stay focused on disc golf.
Agree that Peoria isn't the most attractive city...

Disagree that McNaughton is the best course in the area. I think Megiddo definitely takes the prize there.

Niced: (1)

Old 04-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 170
Niced 728 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementZ View Post
Agree that Peoria isn't the most attractive city...

Disagree that McNaughton is the best course in the area. I think Megiddo definitely takes the prize there.
Yea, I probably shouldn't have suggested that. I havent been pack to peoria in like 5 years and at that time I think that course and one other was just getting put in. I spent a year in peoria and fell in love with McNaughton.