Old 09-04-2019, 08:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 683 Times in 452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Meanwhile, over in the Movement in the Top 10 thread, people are getting their undies in a bunch over hundredths of a rating point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
Discuss what is par for your next post. Your post has been discussed intro the ground since essentially day one of the site and nothing has changed. That’s all.
Top 10 is one thing, and par is another. I'd say if you want to enjoy the full richness of DGCR, it's worth a foray into the ageless discussion of what to do with found discs. It's even more invigorating in 2019 than in 2010!
#growthesport
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 326
Niced 255 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Maybe somebody can come up with a formula that results in higher-par courses automatically getting higher rankings, and we can crash the whole thing.
There's a new listed course, Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock. Whoever had posted the course had accidentally entered the hole lengths into the par columns. Until it was fixed, par was 1,439.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,548 Times in 1,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
There's a new listed course, Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock. Whoever had posted the course had accidentally entered the hole lengths into the par columns. Until it was fixed, par was 1,439.
I've seen a lot of formulas for setting par, including distance-based, but....

Old 09-04-2019, 10:18 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.6
Courses Played: 366
Niced 1,720 Times in 844 Posts

Quote:
Maybe somebody can come up with a formula that results in higher-par courses automatically getting higher rankings, and we can crash the whole thing.
It is amazingly close to that already. More holes and harder holes seem to be the main drivers of course ratings.

Last edited by Steve West; 09-04-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:39 PM
* Ace Member *

That's why I put the "automatically" in there. Say, multiply the consensus opinion rating times the course par, giving the higher-par courses and extra 10 or 15% boost. Then we could argue about the reviewers opinions and whether par was set "correctly", all at once!

Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 327 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
The site does that, once a year. A Top-25 for courses, based on reviews in that calendar year.

It's interesting, though you see mostly the same names, shuffled around a bit. You don't see 4.6-rated courses coming out with a 3.3, or vice versa.

I've advocated (dreamed of) a feature where users can parse the reviews with whatever options they want, and create customized Top-10 lists. I gather it's more work than I imagine.
I guess what I am really suggesting is that a "Hot 10" replace the top ten on the home page of the site to take some emphasis off being in the top 10. It would be nice to have different courses highlighted for people who don't do deep dives into the course search function or "More Top Courses" page. My other though is that it might encourage people to continue to review top courses even then they think everything has been said in previous reviews because the older of those reviews won't help keep top courses on the home page. Just a thought. I have no idea if that would work as intended.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.6
Courses Played: 366
Niced 1,720 Times in 844 Posts

Quote:
That's why I put the "automatically" in there. Say, multiply the consensus opinion rating times the course par, giving the higher-par courses and extra 10 or 15% boost. Then we could argue about the reviewers opinions and whether par was set "correctly", all at once!
Great, one more reason to set par too high.

How about divide by par?
Old 09-05-2019, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
Great, one more reason to set par too high.

How about divide by par?
But that's what makes it a great idea! We double the argument by ranting that a course is Top 10 because the pars are too generous (on top of the hometown reviewers).
Old 09-06-2019, 04:55 PM

Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Nevertheless, rating and ranking courses in that way simply doesn't cut it. Courses are so different, especially when comparing across different regions, that I still value the review more highly than the number in every case. When getting to a new region, I've often found a trusted reviewer that I find I can --- pardon the obvious word play -- trust. In Florida, it was reposado. The rating numbers actually meant very little. What mattered was gathering significant information from a trustworthy source who had played all the courses in the region in addition to many more nationwide.
I do something like that if I run across a review that speaks to me, I'll read the other reviews from that person in the area. But afa that particular manor of rating not cutting it, couldn't you just as well say that about the current system? or maybe you are saying that. ...But If you're looking for new courses to play, don't you start out by looking at the higher rated ones in the area first? If I'm going in a road trip somewhere and hope to hit a course in the area or on the way, I look at my route on the DGCR map and see what's there. If there are a lot, I might filter out all the ones below X.X rating and start looking at what remains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
The way I see it, rating a course already gives some sort of comparison between all courses I've played. I think this holds for any reviewer who has reviewed more than a handful of courses. It would be redundant for me to say "I prefer course A over course B" when I've already rated one 4.0 and one 3.5.
I get what you mean but with the half disc units you can only put courses in tiers so you're going to end up with bunches of courses ranked the same numerically in your individual list. That's just fine on it's own but idk how much it would mathematically gum up the works if you tried to connect everybody's rankings together, which is the idea.

Maybe it still works out ok? If so it might be possible to do a half-assed version of this system with the data that's already on here. The algorithm could take each reviewer's ratings as tiers of preference and discount the actual number value of the ratings. If someone only has two reviews, one's a 1 and one's 4.5, it would only count that they prefer/recommend/rate-higher (however you want to think about it) the second one. Reviewers with only one review couldn't be counted.

I'll reiterate what I was thinking the positives of this system might be

- It might reduce outliers because you can only say a course is better or worse than another course.
- It would spread the ratings evenly out across the full number spectrum. (Grading on a curve basically. There'd be the same number of course rated 0 to 1 as 1 to 2, and 2 to 3 and so on). This may not accurately reflect the quality of the courses (an argument for having both kinds of ratings maybe?) but it would make the collective preferences easier to distinguish.

I don't know but I suspect these things together would mostly squeeze the hump in the bell curve toward the bottom end and a lot of the baskets-around-a-soccer-field type courses would go down. It may not make a huge difference when considering all courses everywhere at once but when you look at smaller areas it might.

Ok, I think I'm done pitching this for now. Sorry for the interruption. You can go back to discussing par. Me, I'm such a casual (and bad) player I haven't bothered to keep track of my score in 15 years.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:02 PM

Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptronius View Post
Ok, I think I'm done pitching this for now. Sorry for the interruption. You can go back to discussing par. Me, I'm such a casual (and bad) player I haven't bothered to keep track of my score in 15 years.
Apparently it's already to late to edit this post and add a smiley face but in case the tone is lost, this is meant to be read as (attempted) humor not bitterness. I realized after the fact it might sound like the latter.