Old 10-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,209 Times in 1,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
Any particular plastic that is most stable in SWs? I would like one or two to compliment the ones I have now that all turn decently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I find the Champ Sidewinder to be the most overstable.
Agree that the Champion Sidewinders are generally the most overstable. But not necessarily by a lot.

Also, the Champ Sidewinders and Opto Falchions are VERY similar in their flights. I like both those molds.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2019, 04:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 338 Times in 170 Posts

Innova needs to produce more of those Luster Sidewinders that made the rounds last year or so. Straight money, and from the bit that I saw before it was lost, also broke in really well.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:02 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 793 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Man I love the Sidewinder. My fresh Star Sidewinder has the perfect amount of turn and great glide.
It gets me the same distance as my pop-top Star Wraiths (420 - 440' feet) but on a much different flight path. And because it is a new SW, there isn't too much turn yet. Such a fantastic disc for people who like to throw with a little hyzer.

I'm shocked that more people don't throw this disc. Or maybe they do but they don't admit it? LOL
Where I live older players that have been playing since at least before the Valkyrie came out use the mold and mostly the DX or Champion, otherwise they use other discs like the Road Runner and Valkyrie combo most of these players are either from the Black Hills/Rapid City area or have a course nearby that is a woods disc golf course. I have an uncle from Western NY who this is his top distance driver in DX and one Champion with a very worn in disc to be his roller, the others are his Sidewinder in Champion for driving/woods, and his Road Runner level of worn in disc, his next highest disc speed and distance is a Viper DX. He gets a new DX Sidewinder when the Road Runner worn in disc gets too US and that becomes a backup roller. He has a few backup roller discs like 2 or 3.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 48
Niced 850 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
It depends on what someone means when they say "nose spacer." When I say it, I mean that an extra plate has been bolted to one of the mold pieces. This plate will space the two mold halves further apart. That is why I call it a spacer.

This process is absolutely valid in the injection molding arena. Whether or not Innova uses it? I don't have any direct knowledge but the artifacts from the molding process definitely point in that direction. You shouldn't get that type of flashing unless there was a separate piece.
This has always seemed to be the best explanation for those more blunt rims.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 271 Times in 175 Posts

DX Sidwinders are fun to throw - they beat in very quickly and can either be nice turning discs, or rollers, at which I am no good.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 53 Times in 34 Posts

Have you guys thrown a Sphinx? It has the same numbers as a sidewinder, but the only one I have thrown I got out of a used bin and it is flip city. It's kind of awesome actually. Sorry in advance for possible thread drift.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:51 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,209 Times in 1,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirepizza View Post
Have you guys thrown a Sphinx? It has the same numbers as a sidewinder, but the only one I have thrown I got out of a used bin and it is flip city. It's kind of awesome actually. Sorry in advance for possible thread drift.
I bag the Sphinx, and it's a great disc. It has a bit of a different flight from the Sidewinder, despite the same flight numbers.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 53 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I bag the Sphinx, and it's a great disc. It has a bit of a different flight from the Sidewinder, despite the same flight numbers.
I've been bagging it in the flippier than my other roadrunners slot. I should pop a sidewinder in there too as a middleman between my barsby roadrunner and my straightest s-pd

Niced: (1)

Old 10-03-2019, 02:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 537 Times in 344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Agree that the Champion Sidewinders are generally the most overstable. But not necessarily by a lot.

Also, the Champ Sidewinders and Opto Falchions are VERY similar in their flights. I like both those molds.
Tried the Falchion, it felt oddly shallow in my hand. I will say I much prefer the Trilogy flippy long fairway lineup over Innova molded stuff.

I used to have a pop-topped champ SW 167g or so that flew like a teebird. More recently snagged a champ SW in the 170s, somewhat of a dome but not poppy I don't think, that actually flies like a SW.

Does anyone else feel like the cool thing about a "good" sidewinder is that they consistently turn a bit even powered down in the calm? Like, some discs just fly stable right up until you push them out past 325' or so, or into a slight headwind, and they just flip over out of nowhere. A good sidewinder always turns to a degree, there's no sudden drop off in stability where they surprise flip. You expect them to turn a bit, and they do. Make sense or...?

Niced: (3)