Old 10-08-2019, 03:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 144
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOStheBOSS View Post
I think if he was truly injured and didn't feel he could compete, he should have dropped out. Kind of a weak move to finish and not cash, and then post about his injury happening on the first hole. He's the best player ever, it seemed odd that he would shoot so poorly and finish out of the money just based purely on poor play. Drop out, heal up, move on.
I disagree completely.

1. I believe in active rest as an answer. As long as he was able to play on it and not hurt it worse - he was okay, and it was good for healing and avoiding atrophy (though I'm sure he would have been right on PT and this probably wouldn't have been an issue for him). I don't know if he saw a physician after the initial round, but he could have been given a go ahead. He also could trust himself to drop out of if it gets worse.

2. Honestly, how often does Paul McBeth get to exist in a tournament environment and just RELAX. If this provided him with the notion that maybe he could just enjoy his weekend in Rock Hill, throw some shots with new people... why not? Especially if, per point 1, he isn't pushing the injury further.

3. Paul's willingness to just relax and enjoy it instead of dropping out reminds me of Ron Russell in 2000. Coming off of breaking Climo's streak by winning the 1999 Worlds - he broke his hand early on at 2000 Worlds, while still close to the lead if I recall. Everything I read about the situation indicated that it gave a lot of people a chance to see a side of him they didn't see in tournament play: a more good natured Ron, more focused on the experience of being at Worlds, something he hadn't had a chance to get while trying to keep up with Climo over the years.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2019, 03:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,349 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Eagle only injured himself because he was a dumbass...not wear and tear.
*In best Casey voice*

Outside of 5 minute window:

Ricky has lyme disease, which I wouldn't consider wear and tear. Paul's is really the only injury I'd consider purely disc golf related.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 144
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Someone like Paul was probably thinking "it's not going to keep me from playing, even though I'm not 100% I think I can still cash"
Considering the throws he was trying - I think his attitude was more "Okay, this blew up - but you know what I'm stable in life: I have a chance to just enjoy USDGC in a relaxed way this year. Lets do this!"

He isn't as pressed by his tourney to tourney earnings anymore, and it looks like he saw a chance to enjoy that.

I could be WAY WAY WAY wrong, but he sure looked like he was having fun doing crazy stuff after day 1.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:12 PM

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
A "Congrats to 2019 USDGC Champ James Conrad!" would have been nice.

If you watch to the end of the Jomez FinalB9 coverage Paul congratulates James in the clubhouse.

Also what I read in Pauls post due to injury he’s not playing the rest of the year. Not that my poor play was because of injury

Last edited by FlyFish84; 10-08-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 165
Niced 115 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Considering the throws he was trying - I think his attitude was more "Okay, this blew up - but you know what I'm stable in life: I have a chance to just enjoy USDGC in a relaxed way this year. Lets do this!"

He isn't as pressed by his tourney to tourney earnings anymore, and it looks like he saw a chance to enjoy that.

I could be WAY WAY WAY wrong, but he sure looked like he was having fun doing crazy stuff after day 1.
Plus, his wife was going to be in Rock Hill until the tournament was over, that's a good reason to stick around. Let his fans see him and play a relaxed end of the tournament.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-08-2019, 04:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 82
Niced 178 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
I wonder if he will treat his ankle injury with essential oils?

Just rub some Robitussin on it.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 23
Niced 326 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshelton View Post
Just rub some Robitussin on it.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 903 Times in 400 Posts

Bummer that Paul's missing the end of the season. Hopefully he can get healthy and be back to soul-crushing dominance in 2020.

As far as finishing out the tournament on a possibly sketchy ankle, I don't think any of us has enough info to fairly second guess that decision. As long as he didn't exacerbate the injury there's no technical reason not to play.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 75
Niced 33 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
1. I believe in active rest as an answer. As long as he was able to play on it and not hurt it worse
He apparently re-injured it on a circle's edge putt on the very first hole of the tournament. Not really sure how playing 4 more rounds on a long course that requires a lot of full power drives "active rest." Maybe walking a couple miles the next few days would count as "active rest."

Old 10-08-2019, 05:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,143 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOStheBOSS View Post
He apparently re-injured it on a circle's edge putt on the very first hole of the tournament. Not really sure how playing 4 more rounds on a long course that requires a lot of full power drives "active rest." Maybe walking a couple miles the next few days would count as "active rest."
In 2017 I sprained my ankle in an odd way on the 3rd hole of a 42 hole 1 day tournament. I finished without making it worse. I didn't play great and could have walked off, but I didn't because it was relatively safe and I was there to compete. Anecdotal? yes - but I'm sure lots of people have done the same thing.

It's possible for him too, right? Especially since he didnt hurt it on a driving motion, he may not have had pain when he was throwing, maybe only when putting. I don't need to speculate, and it's not as if Paul has a history of getting hurt and dropping tournaments. It's happened but not like it's a normal occurrence.