Old 10-15-2019, 09:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 286
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 208 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
You can be Paul. You can train insane amounts. Put in the work.

You cant be Simon, unless you have innate talent.

Simon with Pauls work ethic and determination, would be 1070 rated easy.
Funny story AJ Carey and Feldberg arguing about this last year at the USDGC.
AJ - Anyone can be the best
Feldberg - Some people simply start higher on the food chain and some people have limitations.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2019, 12:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,172 Times in 674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
By the same logic shouldn't John Daly have been the best?
He was fun to watch, that's for sure.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Niced 990 Times in 581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
I think the title of this thread should be "Eagle- shouldnt he be the best?"
I think Eagle needs a few more years, mainly to mentally grow into his physical ability.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.7
Niced 990 Times in 581 Posts

"The 2019 usdgc was quite the adventure. By far the hottest week of the year. I didn’t feel like the heat was effecting me at all but looking back I was probably lying to myself about that. I had a really solid start to the tournament making my first lead card ever on this course! I was wondering what my problems had been the last years because it felt pretty easy and effortless to shoot a few under par. The next few days I got a friendly reminder that I was mistaken. There’s nothing easy about this course. It’s such a mixture of emotions going from feeling good and playing well to debating if you chose the right job. I’ve become really good at just smiling it off and laughing at my mistakes and poorly executed shots but I still want to punch myself in the face quite often." - Simon Lizotte via Facebook

Perhaps there is more inner drive than we realize with Simon.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-16-2019, 02:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 220
Niced 2,899 Times in 1,770 Posts

At least he resisted his inner drive to punch something, unlike his teammate.

Sounds more like frustration than drive.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-16-2019, 02:18 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 795 Times in 674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
I think Simon and Eagle are similar, but Eagle is way more serious. He also now has a broken hand.
Has a broken hand due to having the HD part of ADHD. He gets spastic at times when one should not loose it like that.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,352 Times in 1,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Has a broken hand due to having the HD part of ADHD. He gets spastic at times when one should not loose it like that.
Are you a medical professional now?

Old 10-16-2019, 11:12 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 61
Niced 139 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
At least he resisted his inner drive to punch something, unlike his teammate.

Sounds more like frustration than drive.
John Daly's 30 for 30, Hit it Hard, is a pretty solid watch. At least I thought it was anyways. Talk about a player with all the ability in the world, but lacked the mental game. If he could of stayed right between the ears, he could have really given Tiger a run for his money during Tiger's peak years.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:27 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 634 Times in 282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
"The 2019 usdgc was quite the adventure. By far the hottest week of the year. I didn’t feel like the heat was effecting me at all but looking back I was probably lying to myself about that. I had a really solid start to the tournament making my first lead card ever on this course! I was wondering what my problems had been the last years because it felt pretty easy and effortless to shoot a few under par. The next few days I got a friendly reminder that I was mistaken. There’s nothing easy about this course. It’s such a mixture of emotions going from feeling good and playing well to debating if you chose the right job. I’ve become really good at just smiling it off and laughing at my mistakes and poorly executed shots but I still want to punch myself in the face quite often." - Simon Lizotte via Facebook

Perhaps there is more inner drive than we realize with Simon.

I played with him in the spring and he was really easy to talk to & ask questions so I let my fanboy run pretty wild. He is SUPER competitive even though he’s about the most approachable guy ever. It’s a fun combination. He is the type that would challenge you to a friendly wing eating competition at dinner, maybe put a fun wager on who can stack more ice cream scoops on a cone for dessert and then maybe go for a double-or-nothing one disc challenge in the yard afterwards just to keep it interesting... Yet somehow stays just ultra laid back and fun about it. Most super competitive people end up being tools but Simon was cool as a cucumber. We even played a glow round with beers and he said it had been “forever” since he just relaxed and drank a beer while playing so despite his aloof demeanor at times, IMHO a lack of competitiveness is the last thing holding Simon back.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 145
Niced 256 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Back in the day, everyone probably said Scott Stokely should have been the best.
Came here for this. I haven't seen Simon in person yet, but I did see Stokely on a few occasions and they both kind of remind me of each other in the way they behave on the course (also like Mark Grace, for any of you who are both old enough and grew up in a Chicago Cubs household like I did). Fun to be around, joking with the fans, etc.

One time during a DGLO final 9, they played a safari hole from (IIRC) Hudson Mills original #5's tee back to #3's basket. His upshot struck the roof of the temporary tent put up nearby. When Mark Ellis was asking for scores, Stokely said "Tent!" instead of his score for the hole, causing the Lizard Lawyer to give a serious, scolding look for a brief second.

On #18, he threw a surprise huge sky anny instead of the usual hyzer route, turned to the gallery and said something along the lines of, "Fooled you!" with a huge smile.

Also, a friend of mine was following Stokely's card prior to one of these final 9's and recounted this story for me. The tournament director had pulled up in his golf cart at the Monster Hole (which is over 1,000' long) and Stokely asked him, jokingly, if he could borrow it after his huge drive. The director denied this request. A moment later when the director was away from the cart, Scott jumped in and zoomed off! I'm told the director didn't say a word when he got to the cart and drove away pissed off. Everybody else was laughing, if I remember what my friend said correctly.

I also remember Ron Russell jumping onto the back of one of these golf carts at DGLO, travelling between holes holding on and standing real tall going through the crowd with a huge grin and waving to people. I think he may have even said, "Beep! Beep!"

You know who else in modern times is a cut-up like this? Brian Earhart. He was on the feature card at the CCR open where I got to watch him, McBeth, Gurthie and Frescura and he was cracking jokes all over the place and keeping it loose. A ton of fun all round long. I specifically remember him singing Achy-Breaky Heart in comedic fashion while they waited on a back-up. Another time while they were waiting on a tee, Earhart whipped his towel on Frescura's leg to shoe-off some mosquitoes (that were EVERYWHERE on this course). "I'm sorry, did that **** with you?" Frescura joked back that it might be effecting his concentration, so Brian did it like three or four more times for good measure.

Niced: (1)