Old 10-25-2019, 10:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 999 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlybakerbest View Post
Last thing, anyone who has to deal with these bugs regularly should do is get a supply of doxycycline and take two pills anytime you get bitten, especially if you show any rash. If your feel any symptoms keep taking the antibiotics for a few weeks. I have been bitten several times and even had the bullseye rash but with these steps have never tested positive for lyme.
This is terrible advice. Yes, antibiotics will clear up your rash, etc, but telling people to get a supply of antibiotics and just take them whenever is irresponsible.

The over-prescription of antibiotics is already a huge issue, we don't need people taking them when they don't need to (like if you get bit but have no rash or symptoms).

The overuse of antibiotics just leads to more antibiotic resistant diseases.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...criptions.html
Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2019, 11:15 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 64
Niced 145 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
This is terrible advice. Yes, antibiotics will clear up your rash, etc, but telling people to get a supply of antibiotics and just take them whenever is irresponsible.

The over-prescription of antibiotics is already a huge issue, we don't need people taking them when they don't need to (like if you get bit but have no rash or symptoms).

The overuse of antibiotics just leads to more antibiotic resistant diseases.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...criptions.html
Every time I have been bitten and gone to urgent care guess what they prescribe. 2 doxycycline to take as a precaution. Having a supply of them makes it easier to not have to go every time your bit.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:27 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefYogi View Post
When they test for Lyme, they're testing for the antibodies your body produces in response to the bacteria. Your body doesn't really start producing them for a few weeks. So you can be infected and test negative. And if you start antibiotic treatment early and the treatment is effective, you won't produce the antibodies to test positive.
There are a few different ways to get tested for lyme. Some test the blood for antibodies while others test for the actual dna of the borrelia bacteria. Some tests are done on spinal fluid while others simply a patients blood. Lyme is a tricky illness that can take many rounds of testing to diagnose.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 86
Niced 312 Times in 165 Posts

When I had a tick bite and bullseye rash, they put me on a 14-day course of doxy. I thought that was a relatively standard treatment. I think 2 days doesn't really do much.

Again, I wonder if he even has Lyme. He posted a picture of a bug bite that looked like a typical spider bite or bee sting. He didn't pull a tick off himself from what I remember. Then he felt sick for a few weeks, then he started feeling better. What if he just got mono or something? Or a bad flu?
Old 10-25-2019, 11:40 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzzChief View Post
When I had a tick bite and bullseye rash, they put me on a 14-day course of doxy. I thought that was a relatively standard treatment. I think 2 days doesn't really do much.

Again, I wonder if he even has Lyme. He posted a picture of a bug bite that looked like a typical spider bite or bee sting. He didn't pull a tick off himself from what I remember. Then he felt sick for a few weeks, then he started feeling better. What if he just got mono or something? Or a bad flu?
This is where it gets inconsistent. Some doctors think just a one time dose is enough while others insist on a few weeks of treatment with a bite showing rash. I lean on the side of taking more as a precaution, especially if you think the tick has been on you for more than a few hours. The only time I wont bother taking any doxy when I'm bit is if I saw the tick crawling on me and it bit me before I got it off. In that case I just use some alcohol to clean the bite after soap and water. From what I've heard from medical professionals, the tick has to be attached a decent amount of time before infection can occur.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,737 Times in 757 Posts

Some info from the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/index.html

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/tickborned...revention.html

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/removing_a_tick.html

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/removal/index.html

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/tickborned...ophylaxis.html

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/treatment/index.html

Niced: (1)
Old 10-25-2019, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 135
Niced 999 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlybakerbest View Post
Every time I have been bitten and gone to urgent care guess what they prescribe. 2 doxycycline to take as a precaution. Having a supply of them makes it easier to not have to go every time your bit.
Right. That's exactly the problem - that's a bad practice.

Docs shouldn't be over-prescribing antibiotics like that.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.6
Courses Played: 248
Niced 1,737 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Right. That's exactly the problem - that's a bad practice.

Docs shouldn't be over-prescribing antibiotics like that.
Agree. But, prophylactic antibiotics are sometimes used, when the benefits outweigh the risks. This issue is prescription of more than two, allowing patients to self diagnose and prescribe. Nobody should have a stash of antibiotics to take as they feel needed.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,207 Times in 563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Really? Sounds like a bunch of holier than thou jerks to me. It's getting really hard to find a thread on here were the people actually talk and act like a person.

Ricky is a grown man, let him make his own decisions. It's his health.

Dude, I've been through Lymes and the treatment.

I enjoy watching Ricky play and what he brings to Disc Golf.

He certainly is entitled to do what he wants, but he won't have a career anymore if he doesn't take care of this properly.

Lymes is nothing to mess around with.

Beyond the physical symptoms, it can ultimately lead to neurological issues as well.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 906 Times in 400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
I've only been watching disc golf for a few years but I've been playing for about 15 years. But I just don't understand the hate Ricky gets on here. I mean, the pro game is so much better with him in it. Hell, he's the only one really consistently pushing Paul in a lot of the bigger events. I was at final round of worlds this year and Ricky pushed paul to the limit. I don't know Ricky, but I just hope he gets well. The game, really OUR game is better if he does. This is just my two cents I guess. But I don't kick a man when he's down. And none of us that I'm aware of know him personally. The game's better with him than without though. That's a fact.
Ricky has been at the most elite level of disc golf pros for a while now. And now that the sport has a nascent spectator fan base, a player like that will naturally have some fans and some haters.

I agree 100% that pro frolf is better when Ricky's competing to the best of his abilities. To that end, it's frustrating if the rumors are true that he's suffering from The Lyme and eschewing well known, effective treatment measures. The snarky jokes come from legit concern for Ricky's well being, but also bewildered amazement that a top level pro athlete would so badly mismanage their own health.

If the rumors are false, then the hecklers are ignorant trolls tilting at windmills. Welcome to the internet! But if it's true, then Ricky has much bigger problems than a few sarcastic comments on DGCR. And they aren't the type of problems that can be solved by praying with your hand on a monkey skull.
Closed Thread