Old 09-27-2019, 02:36 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 462 Times in 205 Posts

Sounds like the Star and Champ are flip-flopping. Wasn't too long ago that Star was really beefy and Champ was true to the numbers.

My favorite Thunderbirds are the 3x McBeth Champs and the earlier 4x ones. My workhorses from that time fly like longer mellow Teebirds.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-23-2019, 03:54 PM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Koling Thunderbirds

Anyone out there that can rank the stability of The different years of Koling Thundy’s? Also, could you please include where current runs of Champ, Star, Color Glow, Luster and metal flake fit in? Haven’t thrown Thundy’s in a few years. Have 4 slots in the bag with the neutral and understable filled by a Pro and DX. Trying to figure out the top two neutral to stable and stable to over stable slots? Thanks!
Old 10-23-2019, 05:26 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayton25 View Post
Anyone out there that can rank the stability of The different years of Koling Thundy’s? Also, could you please include where current runs of Champ, Star, Color Glow, Luster and metal flake fit in?
From my experience, the first Koling ThBs are really flat and the most overstable. Last year's Kolings were a lot domier and less overstable; this year's were in between the two. As far as stock stamps, I think luster are the most overstable, followed by champ/glow/color glow, then star. I haven't thrown MF, but I imagine it would be in the champ category.

I typically bag at least 2 ThBs, and right now it's a luster and '19 Koling. I've thrown both for most of this season and they complement each other perfectly. The '19 Koling flips up a bit, but thrown flat it just goes dead straight for 90% of the flight. The luster can take any amount of power I give it and goes forever. It has a lot more fade, which I like; I imagine it flies similar to how PDs are flying these days. If you have DX or Pro ThBs and want another for more overstable shots, champ/luster/glow/MF are going to be what you want to go with. My personal preference is luster because it's basically champ plastic but a little grippier and the ones I have are flatter.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:59 AM
Par Member

Niced 38 Times in 26 Posts

I think the Thunderbird has replaced almost my entire bag... I have a Pro, a Star and a Champ (all max) that cover all variety of shots from US to Stable to Raptor/PD stability. I still have a firebird, teebird and avenger ss (only discraft driver in the bag anymore) but they're collecting dust.

Did this happen with anyone else when they first discovered the good ole thundy?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2019, 02:35 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeknuckle View Post
I think the Thunderbird has replaced almost my entire bag... I have a Pro, a Star and a Champ (all max) that cover all variety of shots from US to Stable to Raptor/PD stability. I still have a firebird, teebird and avenger ss (only discraft driver in the bag anymore) but they're collecting dust.

Did this happen with anyone else when they first discovered the good ole thundy?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This happened with me for a while. I really leaned on Thunderbirds from around 2015-2017. I still bag a couple Champs and sometimes a Pro, but I have gone back to Champ Teebirds as my main driver. Still nice to have Thunderbirds for certain situations. I did come across some beefy Thunderbirds (Star from a couple years ago) but they never completely took the place of Firebirds for me.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:58 PM

Courses Played: 3
Niced 15 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
I still bag a couple Champs and sometimes a Pro, but I have gone back to Champ Teebirds as my main driver.
What makes you prefer the Teebird as the main driver? The discs are so similar for me but the Thunderbird is just longer, so shot length is the main factor for me.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:31 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusbomb View Post
What makes you prefer the Teebird as the main driver? The discs are so similar for me but the Thunderbird is just longer, so shot length is the main factor for me.
Wider range of versatility, easier control/more forgiving. They are fairly similar, I agree. Thunderbirds are in my bag for when I want a Teebird but need to throw on a lower line or in wind, or something like a narrow flex shot that I want to be confident will flex back.

Comparing them to the Rocs in my bag, Teebirds are like the workhorse DX/KC Rocs, while the Thunderbirds are like the fresh KC/Champ Roc. Not a perfect analogy but close to the same idea.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:31 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 103 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusbomb View Post
Similar situation, I've always felt the Teebird shapes better. The Thunderbird is a better driver to cover distance, but the Teebird will fly on a specific line better.

Example: If I need to hit 400' on a straight line I'll pull the Thunderbird over a Teebird but if I need 250' - 300' of anyhyzer flight that will come out and land on a fairway (or even for a slow hyzer or a flex line) I'll pull my Teebird. A Thunderbird is more liable to not take as tight of a flight line or fade and flair out on the skip.

Why I prefer a Teebird is a Teebird can do the flat line just the same as the Thunderbird and will skip less on top of being able to shape a line.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:25 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 46
Niced 107 Times in 78 Posts

I know it's not Innova, but the Vulture is a good compromise between the two.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:55 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 103 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
I know it's not Innova, but the Vulture is a good compromise between the two.
Not enough HSS in my opinion. Though I do like my ESP Vulture.