#121  
Old 10-31-2019, 05:29 PM
KaBooM KaBooM is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 84
Niced 16 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
The common characterization that I disagree with in terms of judging mental game is that, seemingly, both of your arguments equate the act of making mistakes with a "lower score" on the mental fortitude exam. Correct me if I'm misreading that.

However, the fact that Catrina can 3-putt from birdie to bogey from inside the circle, and then immediately Eagle the following hole by canning a circle's-edge tester is more important to me as a whole than the singular fact that she drove well on 12 and then missed putts. If her mental game was weak, she would have lost after 12, and double down after she goes Eagle-Birdie then Double Bogey on 15. Recognizing fallibility and imperfection inherent in the player and still achieving greatness despite it is the ultimate display of mental fortitude in my eyes.

The way I see it, executing to perfection doesn't mean your mental game is the best, that means your preparation was on point. Mental game is about getting back up when golf lands a haymaker on your temple, having a clear mind when things are going well is EZ. I can't think of a more foundation-shaking event on a golf course than missing something inside of 10'.

Let me ask it this way-

Would we also say in this case, if Catrina has poor mental fortitude, that Paige also does?

Paige has round-by-round rollercoasters where she will play a course to near-perfection and then the next day tag first available tree 5 times in the first 6 holes.
Usually, I agree with your take on things but not on this issue. There is a much greater mental component to putting than there is to stroking long bombs and intermediate shots, which have a much greater athletic component to them. The mind is much more active -- miss/make, high/low, right/left, too strong/too weak -- these are all thoughts that can cloud a mind of a non-confident putter in the ~ 30 seconds before putting. Long field shots and drives are a more athletic act and much less vulnerable to "mind games". It's like certain NBA players with free throws, who go through long stretches of the "yips", where there game action shots are not impacted the same way. Also, Cat can get easily frustrated by her putting woes and give extra strokes away by "mailing it in" -- this is "mentally weak" as it costs here strokes when she is still in the hunt. Yes, she gets credit for righting the ship later in the round but it does obviate the fact that her mental weakness allows her to miss a 4 foot putt in frustration just because she had missed a 15 foot putt right beforehand.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 11-01-2019, 11:27 AM
PoorPutter PoorPutter is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 150
Niced 100 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Wow that step-putt at 7:22 is very illegal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P7ASKb59OQ
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 11-01-2019, 12:08 PM
ToddL ToddL is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 146
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 976
Niced 348 Times in 166 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorPutter View Post
Wow that step-putt at 7:22 is very illegal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P7ASKb59OQ
There's about 4 frames of him leaving contact with the lie but still holding the disc. I've certainly seen a lot worse.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 11-01-2019, 12:08 PM
Mocheez Mocheez is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,119
Niced 584 Times in 298 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorPutter View Post
Wow that step-putt at 7:22 is very illegal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P7ASKb59OQ
It was but it’s hard to definitively call a foot fault without the aid of slow motion.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg EF1F34F7-F642-4F76-B560-6751FEE9AB04.jpg (141.7 KB, 92 views)

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 11-01-2019, 12:19 PM
PoorPutter PoorPutter is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 150
Niced 100 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
There's about 4 frames of him leaving contact with the lie but still holding the disc. I've certainly seen a lot worse.
Well yeah every time Hokom putts, hahahaha.

Reply With Quote
 

  #126  
Old 11-02-2019, 05:31 AM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,340
Niced 976 Times in 575 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
It was but it’s hard to definitively call a foot fault without the aid of slow motion.

nah.... it gets worse.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cdputt.jpg (40.4 KB, 38 views)

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2019 United States Disc Golf Championship Oct 2-5 brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 828 10-21-2019 12:52 PM
DGPT: 2019 San Francisco Open presented by AbsoluteXtracts 10-May to 12-May-2019 brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 160 05-17-2019 03:19 PM
DGPT: 2019 Memorial Championship brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 407 03-18-2019 11:23 AM
2018 DGPT Tour Championship Oct 18-21 brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 217 11-02-2018 05:21 PM
2017 DGPT Tour Championship brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 192 11-02-2017 02:46 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.